Sound loss & display problems on refresh rate change (1 Viewer)

hucknallred

Portal Pro
February 21, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well, Intel don't do Win 7 drivers for this model, 10 or nothing, so I'll now look at the madVR fix & report back.

hucknallred

Portal Pro
February 21, 2012
Home Country
when you switch refreshrate : what is the resolution / refreshrate used ?
do you have try to manually set the final refreshrate as default and play the vidéo ?

PALHD 50 is my default, sound is lost switching to NTSC 29.997Hz. I will check other videos at different refresh rate.

hucknallred

Portal Pro
February 21, 2012
Home Country
OK, I've wiped the NUC & reinstalled Windows 10 from a 2016 ISO. It's all fine now, refresh rate change works, no sound loss, no black screen.
It seems you can't get Windows 10 to stop updating, I've clicked defer updates, but it still has an update downloaded version 1709 which will go on next time I restart. Is this the update that causes the trouble?

hucknallred

Portal Pro
February 21, 2012
Home Country
I've found a few ways to stop the update going on, I've deleted the downloaded files & changed some group policies. I also have a system image taken in case it sneaks the update through. So no need for any madVR work. Yet.

Thanks

hucknallred

Portal Pro
February 21, 2012
Home Country
Hello again. After another instance of FCU update forcing itself on to my NUC again, I've reinstalled with the previous Win 10 version which has the option to defer FCU for a year, so far so good.
However, I still have sound loss problems & occasional black screen on TV. I've spent several hours trying to troubleshoot with varying degrees of success, MPAR seems to be a problem sometimes so I've deselected it for the standard HDMI audio out, but it still seems to come back from time to time..

So, I have just done a test & forced the no sound issue & saved logs. From the end of the log you'll see I've flicked around playing several different videos from around 11:39, you'll see some episodes of Pawn Stars & Robot Chicken played, all of which have sound, I then play an Episode of the Orville at 11:42, this forces a refresh rate switch & then there is no sound.

Regarding the refresh rate I noticed that when the rate changes, my audio device vanishes for a few seconds - I get a red x on the speaker icon, which goes after a second or so. I suspected that the video started playback when the audio device was "missing", indeed pressing Shift + 1 showed no audio renderer was present. To solve this I installed Qres I created a batch file that switched refresh rate & then waits 3 seconds, I then put a command to run the batch in the Dynamic RR changer box, bypassing the MP changer.

This seemed to work OK, however looking at the logs it didn't run for The Orville rate switch [edit - I didn't have a 24Hz batch file setup so DRR was used], there is a lot of stuff in the log after this relating to audio so I wondered if you good people could take a look & see if that is the problem, i.e.. no audio device?

I've also updated my specs in my profile relating to the new NUC.

Thanks

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_24_03_18__12_08.zip
    342.3 KB
Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Latest future MP version 1.19 Final or the madVR build based on it have something about the audio device removal issue :p
    In fact for some user (more on Intel HD GPU) when DRR kick in the audio device is removed and added back, so we have try to workaround that.

hucknallred

Portal Pro
    February 21, 2012
    Home Country
    Latest future MP version 1.19 Final or the madVR build based on it have something about the audio device removal issue :p
    In fact for some user (more on Intel HD GPU) when DRR kick in the audio device is removed and added back, so we have try to workaround that.
    Hey Sebastiii thanks for the reply. Have updated to the pre release 1.19 after I posted. Just had the problem on a video, but MP is just hung waiting to play the video & the log mentions the audio device being removed.

[2018-03-24 14:01:48,589] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: Audio Renderer Intel(R) Display Audio removed

I have been here hours messing with this :mad:. Time to look at madVR again I think....

From my research I think the audio device loss is the Intel driver doing a HDMI handshake to ensure HDCP is enabled. I think there is a utility to prevent this. Another thing for me to try....

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Yep the madVR build that you can find in the first post will be the same as 1.19 Final because latest change are merged to it :p
    You maybe need to uncheck the options 'stop playback on audio removed' :)

Also i have notice and not your fault that watchdog tool didn't set the debug level (not sure why) so if you run another set of log, you need to change log level to debug :p
    Thanks.

hucknallred

Portal Pro
    February 21, 2012
    Home Country
    Yep the madVR build that you can find in the first post will be the same as 1.19 Final because latest change are merged to it :p
    You maybe need to uncheck the options 'stop playback on audio removed' :)

Also i have notice and not your fault that watchdog tool didn't set the debug level (not sure why) so if you run another set of log, you need to change log level to debug :p
    Thanks.
    I unchecked that option & had no problems with sound :). Did a test again, playing live TV & various TV shows until I came to The Orville again at 15:58, it started with sound, but black screen. Any other media I try after is also black screen too TV or video. The audio thing seems to be fixed, will try with this black screen now. Have attached full debug logs this time.

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_24_03_18__16_06.zip
      401.5 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom