[WiP] Speech Recognition for MP2 (2 Viewers)

heiserfeger77

Portal Pro
November 10, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
Any plans for speech recognition for MP2.

In MP1 i had a solution with WIFIRemote and Voxcommando, but development of wifiremote seems stop.

Perhaps, their is a way for Alexa or Google Assistent

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Any plans for speech recognition for MP2.
    Currently not.

Perhaps, their is a way for Alexa or Google Assistent
    Are you aware of the major data leak from Amazon? Amazon - and probably Google too - stores the complete speech data. Speaking for myself here: I don't want anybody listening into my home and certainly not storing the recorded data forever.

heiserfeger77

Portal Pro
    November 10, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    With MP! i had a local solution with voxcommando over wifiremote. Any plans to get wifiremote fully worked.?

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'd be also interested in having alexa support. My complete household (blinds, lights, heating, ...) can be controlled by speach input.
    Switching TV-channels and controlling a movie without remote would be of interest and also a selling feature I think.

Just to understand, how did it work with wifiremote exactly? Is it a solution for only a specific feature or does it fully support all commands?

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Meanwhile I found this here.
    Wifiremote is also supported again with MP2.3 and even part of the "core package".
    Anyone interested to implement alexa support? @CodeMonkey

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I know this sounds cool. I thought the same as I first get aware of this skill.

But then I tried to install and use the skill... :mad: I don't think this ever will work. The mentioned Kodi Skill is extremely complicated to set up and you need a special developer account on AWS to use it. I've tried it several times but never got it working at all. Now I have the AWS Dev Account without having any use for it...
    As long as such a skill isn't approved by Amazon (and for this is available for download and install the usual way with a normal Amazon account) this only is something for extreme nerds... Even Kodi is way to unimportant to Amazon to answer at all. You can't sell Kodi so Amazon can't make any money with Kodi. How "important" MP would be to them, what do you think? So no chance that it ever will be approved by Amazon... A complete waste of time if someone tries it, I fear...
    Opposite to Android Apps it is not possible to side load any skills to Alexa as all skills needed to be connected to the Amazon account. In Android you always can download any .apk and install it but this is not possible for Alexa...

A much easier way would be an Alexa compatible universal remote like

With this mini version you can control most IR remote controllable devices. The "big" version also supports RF remotes. But you can't say "Alexa, play movie xxx in MP". instead you need to say "Alexa, cursor down 5 times" and then "Alexa, Play"... I have an older "RM3 mini" and I've configured it to power up my TV environment with one voice command. I only need to say "Alexa, TV on" and my TV powers up, my AVR powers up and my Android Box powers up and starts Kodi... Also my Hisense TV has in- build Alexa support my AVR and TV Box didn't have. That's why I use the Broadlink way as it is more comfortable...
    Naturally with "Alexa, TV off" it powers down anything...

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Maybe it would be better to add support for Home assistant which I think is compatible with the various automation systems (Alexa, Siri, Google etc.)? It would require a MQTT interface or similar which I have been thinking about adding to the WifiRemote plugin. But this will probably happen many years from now as we are so few active developers (2?) left, have so little time and still have other things that need to be finished. :(

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    Maybe it would be better to add support for Home assistant which I think is compatible with the various automation systems (Alexa, Siri, Google etc.)?
    I have an MP1 connected via MQTT to Home Assistant, although I have rather simple usage scenarios so far. Turn on, turn off, display what is currently playing, turn off the light during playback, etc.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have an MP1 connected via MQTT to Home Assistant, although I have rather simple usage scenarios so far. Turn on, turn off, display what is currently playing, turn off the light during playback, etc.
    I know MQTT only in model based systems for new BMW vehicles with Joynr-Framework, didn't expect it could be used here. Is there also a way to connect any cloud services to use speach control or are things handled only locally? I wonder if something can be possible for end users some time, currently it's a lot of teaking I guess ;)

Users who are viewing this thread