SplashScreen hangs when no audio device available (1 Viewer)

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Unfortunately yes, I can't use HDMI connection to AVR beacuse when AudioHDMIDevice is lost in Windows (AVR off, system standby/hibernate->wakeup), it will disappear and will not come back when turn AVR on. Only cure is to restart Windows. It's all about Windows, not MP.

Last edited:

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    can we detect that standard / configured audio device isn't connected? and try to take any other audio device available in system?
    I understand that we can have some problems while audio device suddenly disappears during playback (do we have any notification from audio renderer that renderer device becomes unavailable?), but AFAIK XBMC can cope with so, that after hdmi device is back, then playback continues with audio. Surely it needs some time to rebuild graph or whatever they handle this, but it doesn't crash after disappearing/reappearing of default audio device.
    Maybe we can check how this handled by xbmc?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    can we detect that standard / configured audio device isn't connected? and try to take any other audio device available in system?

I think the problem here is that there is *no* audio device available in the system - it's some sort of sound volume handler initialisation that is failing with an exception (and not handling it properly).

I understand that we can have some problems while audio device suddenly disappears during playback (do we have any notification from audio renderer that renderer device becomes unavailable?),

We do - you should see messages in the log about it, and there is an option in MP config to stop playback when the audio renderer is removed. That is a different problem to the MP startup problem in this thread.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    @peque - do you have another sound device you could enable in the system e.g. motherboard sound hardware ? Then Windows should 'fall back' to that if the HDMI device is not available. Just make the HDMI audio the default playback device so normally the 'other' sound device will not be used.

peque

Moderator - Spanish Forums
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Yes. I've got an onboard soundcard, but I've got it disabled in BIOS, so system is as clean as possible (I've been dealing with some strange behaviours in my HTPC latelly, and one of the things I did was this). I'll do some tests this afternoon and post back here. It's definitely a possible workaround, BUT, I think this bug should be fixed anyway (don't start MP at all, or let it start with no splash hang)

Last edited:

peque

• Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Ok. Enabling my onboard audio card has solved the issue for me... I wouldn't close this as "no bug", though... :)

bye!

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I think this is an MP bug (I can reproduce it), so I'll change the thread to 'Bug' and add it to Jira.

peque

• Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Believe me or not, enabling onboard audio makes my MP react with some delay to any key I press. It's weird, and it stays the same way even if I disable this audio device in windows. Only after disabling it in BIOS the delay disappears.

Really strange all in all, but I prefer to deal with this bug till it's fixed than keeping my onboard audio enabled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom