Stuttering During Fast Motion (1 Viewer)

gperkinson

Portal Pro
October 28, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi All,

I still haven't really got to the bottom of the "trailing images" issue. It happens more on a "cut down" picture than full screen 1080 and also appears more along with stuttering when something else is recording at the same time - especially multiple recordings.

I have not loaded SAF codecs as suggested by someone in this forum and need to point out that my graphics card (ATI 3850) is DVI to HDMI where the sound is transferred to the TV separately from the sound card. I also have periodic delayed speech issues which I'm unsure are a result of the separate sound input? Would welcome any suggestions on replacement cards (with HDMI out)

Unsure of the best place to start, but I'm thinking that loading some log files would be the go and have someone look at these - can someone advise me which log file would be the best to load. I'm also wondering if my graphics card is simply not up to it - thoughts anyone? I have asked this question before and someone thought its OK, but I'm unsure of this. Would be great to understand if it's a machine resource issue (would be surprised) codec related or graphics card related.

Any help appreciated.

Graham

wanenz

Portal Member
July 5, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi graham

I don't have the Stuttering problem since I went to a Gigabyte 8600 Silent Pipe 256 MB - I am now able to play 10 gig AVi files no problems - previously the max size file was about 2 GB . I had been using onboard graphics with ATI and CCC.
Certainly it sounds like it's the graphics card - CCC is notoriously buggy
I also installed the Codec Pack from K-Lite Codec pack - this seems to work very well.

Hope this helps.

wayne

gperkinson

Portal Pro
October 28, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi graham

I don't have the Stuttering problem since I went to a Gigabyte 8600 Silent Pipe 256 MB - I am now able to play 10 gig AVi files no problems - previously the max size file was about 2 GB . I had been using onboard graphics with ATI and CCC.
Certainly it sounds like it's the graphics card - CCC is notoriously buggy
I also installed the Codec Pack from K-Lite Codec pack - this seems to work very well.

Hope this helps.

wayne

Thanks for the reply Wayne.

Was wondering if anyone else might have an opinion on my graphics card and whether it may be causing my trailing images issue. Are there any specific logs I could load to identify this for someone technical??

Also, what would be the latest recommended video card that someone could recommend for media portal??

gperkinson

Portal Pro
October 28, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Anyone out there technically minded that might be able to identify whether my video card is the issue with my problem? Any help appreciated.

DreadFury

Portal Pro
June 28, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
When you press shift-1, what is the act frame rate?
it is steady or does it fluctuate up and down?

Since you're in the UK, it should be at 50 or 25fps, if it is at some other frame rate, you'll notice some jitter/stutter, especially when there is a lot of motion on the screen.
this can appear as a blurry/jerky quality during lots of movement on-screen.

gperkinson

Portal Pro
October 28, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
When you press shift-1, what is the act frame rate?
it is steady or does it fluctuate up and down?

Since you're in the UK, it should be at 50 or 25fps, if it is at some other frame rate, you'll notice some jitter/stutter, especially when there is a lot of motion on the screen.
this can appear as a blurry/jerky quality during lots of movement on-screen.

Thanks for the note - appreciated. I'm in NZ by the way :)

I have looked at that report previously, but not under the latest stable version of MP - heaps more stats there - thanks!!

It's between 49 and 50 fps. Actual frame rate (red) is 20. It mentions 12 frames dropped and refresh rate at 50 Hz. Any other info that could be useful?

What you describe above is exactly what I'm experiancing.

I also have a UHF aerial combined with a VHF aerial with a booster, but the combined cable is then split into 4 outlets - does anyone think this may have an effect? Is there an easy way to test the signal strength and quality - this used to be in TV Server.

Any other diagnosis to help pinpoint the issue greatly appreciated as this is my big frustrations.

Cheers

Graham

DreadFury

Portal Pro
June 28, 2009
Home Country
DOH! my mistake, I must have been looking at someone else's flag in the earlier posts when I was thinking that, I don't see how I could have mistaken the flags so blatantly, my apologies.

I have looked at that report previously, but not under the latest stable version of MP - heaps more stats there - thanks!!

It's between 49 and 50 fps. Actual frame rate (red) is 20. It mentions 12 frames dropped and refresh rate at 50 Hz. Any other info that could be useful?

I also have a UHF aerial combined with a VHF aerial with a booster, but the combined cable is then split into 4 outlets - does anyone think this may have an effect? Is there an easy way to test the signal strength and quality - this used to be in TV Server.

Any other diagnosis to help pinpoint the issue greatly appreciated as this is my big frustrations.

Cheers

Graham

low signal can have a profound effect on your quality, your stats sound pretty good tho, if it is STEADY between 49 and 50 and you only have 12 dropped frames (after how long?).

did you say this happens with video unrelated to your TV viewing/recording as well?

Codecs can definitely effect picture quality as well, have you played around with any other codecs and noticed any difference, at all?

If your framerate is steady and you don't notice any spikes after watching for several minutes, my guess would be codec or codec settings related.

Try turning on the dshelper stats (shift-1) again and letting it run awhile and watch it, see how consistent it is.
if it sometimes jumps up and down, even a little, this can really cause unpleasant results.

If it seems smooth and steady, try some other codecs on for size to see how your results vary, you can always go back to the one you're using now if the results aren't to your liking.

I personally have had the best luck using the MS windows7 codec, the Arcsoft codecs, and the CoreAVC codec. YMMV.

gperkinson

Portal Pro
October 28, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
DOH! my mistake, I must have been looking at someone else's flag in the earlier posts when I was thinking that, I don't see how I could have mistaken the flags so blatantly, my apologies.

Cheers

Graham

low signal can have a profound effect on your quality, your stats sound pretty good tho, if it is STEADY between 49 and 50 and you only have 12 dropped frames (after how long?).

did you say this happens with video unrelated to your TV viewing/recording as well?

Codecs can definitely effect picture quality as well, have you played around with any other codecs and noticed any difference, at all?

If your framerate is steady and you don't notice any spikes after watching for several minutes, my guess would be codec or codec settings related.

Try turning on the dshelper stats (shift-1) again and letting it run awhile and watch it, see how consistent it is.
if it sometimes jumps up and down, even a little, this can really cause unpleasant results.

If it seems smooth and steady, try some other codecs on for size to see how your results vary, you can always go back to the one you're using now if the results aren't to your liking.

I personally have had the best luck using the MS windows7 codec, the Arcsoft codecs, and the CoreAVC codec. YMMV.

I appreciate your quick reply.

Have left it running for 5 minutes as you suggested and the fps hover between 48 and 50 - it's showing 3 decimal places so it's ticking over like a stopwatch. I also tried recording 4 things at once to test the CPU and it's cruising at 7% and up to 15%. After 20,000 frames drawn it has dropped 65 frames.

My card is a Gigabyte RX385512H Radeon HD 3850 with a DVI to HDMI connection and sound supplied to TV through sound card.

I'm using PDVD9 codec for HD and arcsoft for MPEG2.

This issue is on video as well come to think of it.

Also noticed that the display refresh rate reverts back to 50 Hz after setting it at 60Hz in CCC?

What about log files - would they pinpoint any issue?

Thanks again for the reply.

Cheers

Graham

DreadFury

Portal Pro
June 28, 2009
Home Country
your card seems able to handle the video just fine.
logs might help, but i kind of doubt it since it seems the problem is quality and not signal/hardware issues.

your display may not support 60hz, but you want 50 for your tv anyway.

are you using any post processing?
interlace mode?
is your screen perhaps to blame? - do games (for instance) present the same trailing effect?

hd and sd both look the same?

what video renderer are you using?

have you tried different codecs?

any of these things might be an issue.

gperkinson

Portal Pro
October 28, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
your card seems able to handle the video just fine.
logs might help, but i kind of doubt it since it seems the problem is quality and not signal/hardware issues.

your display may not support 60hz, but you want 50 for your tv anyway.

are you using any post processing?
interlace mode?
is your screen perhaps to blame? - do games (for instance) present the same trailing effect?

hd and sd both look the same?

what video renderer are you using?

have you tried different codecs?

any of these things might be an issue.

Thanks for the fast reply.

No post processing being used
Best interlace mode - hmm .... never tried anything else?
HD works better than SD or 720 size
Unsure about "video renderer" Where is this setting?
Tried PDVD, CoreAVC & FFDShow
I think 50 Hz is optimum, which might be why Windows sets it back. I have a Samsung 52inch Series 6 TV

Also found a tickbox setting in Config under TV -> TV Client for "TS Reader Options" to reduce stuttering - will try that
Also found a 100Hz Auto Motion setting on my TV which was set to high - will try turning it off as a forum mentioned it caused a similar issue as mine on a set top box.

Another person confirmed my card should be fine, so will continue to look at settings.

Any other thoughts appreciated.

Graham

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom