Stuttering in scheduled recordings unless client window is open (TSWriter Continuity error) (1 Viewer)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Mmm.......this really feels like over-aggressive power management (power saving) somewhere - have you been through the bios settings ?

Tony

Kent Ohlsson

Portal Member
    March 14, 2012
    Varberg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ray, I took Your advice and uninstalled Intel Management Engine Interface. It didn't help the stuttering and since I then had an unrecognized device in the device manager, i figured it's better to reinstall it so i did that.

There is also a program with the fancy name "Asrock Extreme Tuner" which I uninstalled but as with everything else I've tried it didn't result in anything.

Then I tried to manually kill as many processes and services as possible but the stuttering is persistant :)

After that I went into the BIOS and reset all settings to default. Just in case. Of course there is no change.

Maybe we need a good nights sleep, perhaps the obvious answer to this mystery will pop up?! :)

Kent Ohlsson

Portal Member
    March 14, 2012
    Varberg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Mmm.......this really feels like over-aggressive power management (power saving) somewhere - have you been through the bios settings ?

Tony

Tony, I just reset them to default. But if so, isn't it strange that by starting a small application like Mine Sweeper changes the conditions so that everything works?

Kent Ohlsson

Portal Member
    March 14, 2012
    Varberg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Lets find out if its network related, firstly can you go to your network adapter and disable IPV6, does anything change on a test.

If not then I would be tempted to change any reference ip within TVServer\MPClient\SQL to the name of the pc, again this will need services to be restarted, user for sql db can be sa or root, with password MediaPortal case sensitive.

Any difference.

Last resort, try the MSLoopback adapter, which should eliminate any possible networking problem, if it does then going down the fixed IP road may be the solution.

Even with Windows Firewall disabled, it can still be active :mad: so I'm wondering if starting MP on that machine allows ports to be opened properly, btw what router do you have.

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/static-ip-address.asp

The only other thing that mediaportal.exe does is start directx and ups using the graphics processor you have, really cannot think of any other effect caused by MP starting ;(

Are these suggestions still relevant?

I have disabled IPV6 on both machines.

Starting VLC minimized to tray will also work to remove the stuttering. (Mine Sweeper didn't like to minimize automatically at start either) Would that engage the graphics processor as well (There is no visible GUI at all)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Yes a good night sleep always helps, but.

I'm with Tony on this one, seem's NO active program running is putting the system into low power state, wonder if any BIOS update available, sadly no one with the same system has answered, late at night, had a couple of beers, but will look afresh and do some research on your system tomorrow, lets see what a fresh day brings :D

Kent Ohlsson

Portal Member
    March 14, 2012
    Varberg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Using the Asrock Extreme Tuning utility I can watch CPU Speed and CPU Ratio in real time. The speed varies all the time and may go down as low as 800 Mhz and ratio at x 8. The speed decrease doesn't cause stuttering as long as I have VLC running. Therefore I don't believe it's the CPU speed decrease that's causing the stuttering.

I tried disabling Intel Speedstep in the BIOS. That caused as expected the CPU speed and ratio to stay constantly on 2500 MHz and x25. But of course, It didn't improve anything regarding to the stuttering so I enabled The Intel Speedstep again.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    2 other possibilities have come to mind, try disabling any defragment when idle setting (if enabled of course), and maybe switch off pagefile (reboot required).

Yes, you also went for the obvious hardware settings, so thanks for reporting back on that, last thing I can think of, is HDD going into some kind of slowdown thinking its idle, I have read this in the past regarding WD drives, where a drive bios update was required, might be worthwhile googling the model, just to see if any reported problems there.

After that I'm really baffled :confused:

Kent Ohlsson

Portal Member
    March 14, 2012
    Varberg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi there! :)
    2 other possibilities have come to mind, try disabling any defragment when idle setting (if enabled of course), and maybe switch off pagefile (reboot required).

Yes, you also went for the obvious hardware settings, so thanks for reporting back on that, last thing I can think of, is HDD going into some kind of slowdown thinking its idle, I have read this in the past regarding WD drives, where a drive bios update was required, might be worthwhile googling the model, just to see if any reported problems there.

After that I'm really baffled :confused:

• I haven't set any defragment task to occur, I do that manually when needed.
    • Tried to unset the pagefile. No change.
    • I don't think the hard disk believes it's idle because running the defragment tool while using the client machine to watch TV doesn't take away the stuttering.
    Just a thought though.... Why would some programs running on the server (like VLC, Spider Solitaire etc) prevent stuttering to occur while other programs (like defraggler for example) won't. What's common for these programs that can prevent stuttering? Running in the foreground is not neccesary since running VLC will help even when it's minimized to tray. It's confusing for me...

Kent Ohlsson

Portal Member
    March 14, 2012
    Varberg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Programs that prevent stuttering when ran at the server
    • MS Mine Sweeper
    • MS Spider Solitaire
    • VLC Media Player
    • DPC Latency checker
    • Mozilla Firefox
    • Mediaportal 1.2.2 client
    • MediaMonkey
    Programs that don't prevent stuttering when ran at the server
    • Adobe Acrobat Reader
    • Piriform defraggler
    • MS Paint
    • MS WordPad
    • MS 3D Screensaver
    • IE 9 !
    • Winrar
    • Windows PowerShell
    • Norton Ghost 15 (GUI)
    • MS On Screen Keyboard
    • MediaPortal Configuration
    • MediaPortal TV Server Configuration

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Seems to be a big difference between running a sevice and a program, you could try giving services cpu priority, this is under the advance system settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom