Stuttering in scheduled recordings unless client window is open (TSWriter Continuity error) (1 Viewer)

melstig

Portal Pro
July 16, 2006
Umea
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi,
I also have stuttering on recordings my system, an Asrock 100HT-BD (se specs). I have also tried "everything" to pinpoint the cause of it. I just found this thread today so I have not been able to analyze if my problems are the same as yours.

I am reallly impressed with the work thas has been put into this thread :) I am afraid I am not able to put in so much work at the moment to troubleshoot.

melstig

Kent Ohlsson

Portal Member
March 14, 2012
Varberg
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi,
I also have stuttering on recordings my system, an Asrock 100HT-BD (se specs). I have also tried "everything" to pinpoint the cause of it. I just found this thread today so I have not been able to analyze if my problems are the same as yours.

I am reallly impressed with the work thas has been put into this thread :) I am afraid I am not able to put in so much work at the moment to troubleshoot.

melstig

Melstig, that's ver valuable information, however I can's see Your System Spec, I'm especially interested to find out about Your current TV-card but other things might also be helpful. Thanks!

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm doubtful it will make any difference but have you tried increasing the tvservice run priority? (setuptv->general section - (don't select real time!!! :)))

Kent Ohlsson

Portal Member
    March 14, 2012
    Varberg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    melstig hasn't returned yet about his config but what I have been able to figure out from his recent postings he has a TerraTec H7 tuner and the OS is Win 7 x64.

It would be so interesting to find out if melstig's stuttering problem while recording is identical to mine... that is:
    • Stuttering in recordings occurs only when MP Client is not started while recording.
    • Starting MS Minesweeper while recording resolves the stuttering problem.

What we have in common is
    • Mediaportal
    • Asrock mini PC
    • Win 7 x64
    • USB Tuner
    Please mr melstig, confirm when you have the possibility :)

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    Yea give it a try - I can only think that with no windows open or no active application, the system goes into some kind of low powered mode. Could this be lowering the performance of the USB port? (perhaps some BIOS setting?) This would explain the discontinuities in tswriter (if the tuner can't deliver the data fast enough)

A lot of BIOS's (or that AMD windows tool) allow the CPU to be throttled down as well. If this is happening it might not be able to run the directshow graph fast enough which could also result in dropped samples and the discontinuities in tswriter.

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    Addition to the above:

Look at the timings in the tswriter log - it does look like the system is more slugglish where the failed recording is. It takes over 1.8 seconds here from the graph starting to the recording starting (compared to just over 1 second for the clean recording)

We'd need a log with a few more failed/successful recordings to ascertain properly if you could maybe provide one?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Hi miroslav22

If it is a power setting that's missed it must be pretty well hidden, Kent answered pretty explicitly with the changes he has made regarding that, but I'm not disagreeing with you, to me that is the only logical thing happening.

Long distance diagnose of this kind of thing is frustrating when you cannot get your hands on the hardware itself :(

Last thought for tonight, are you both only using the USB2.0 connections and leaving the version 3.0 port empty, something relating to it not supporting legacy, which to me means not fully backward compatible.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Since these PCs seem to be basically a laptop in a box, it wouldn't be that surprising that there are power saving 'features' which you can't turn off....

I suspect that running Minesweeper etc might be the easiest way to work around the problem.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom