Stuttering on Live-TV - since 1.2 (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: Stuttering on Live-TV - since 1.2

TS-Reader is used for recorded TV as well as live TV.

Yes it is but it is still not 100% comparable since on recordings TsReader cannot face buffer underrun situation as there is always data available.

jimbeam128

Portal Pro
    December 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Stuttering on Live-TV - since 1.2

Hello FloMan,

you said:

Check out the German thread i postet a own TS reader without trigger of Pause for you to test. So I want see how
    long TV works well, when A/V to Render underflow will be detected.

I´ll give it a try this evening and will give feedback.

Hello HTPC_Sourcer,

you said:

Hello everybody,

However, the referenced German thread speaks of two issues (well, my fault I guess):

1. 200 ms Audio renderer delay
    2. Discontinuities (micro-stuttering) when playing German HD channels

Since the stuttering can also be observed in recorded files, it doesn't seem to be related to the tsreader but I may of course be wrong.

I absolutely do not agree to that! Stuttering occurs on live-TV and NOT on recorded / timeshifted content!

As FloMan adviced for testing, we should NOT go back 15 Seconds or press Pause to check if something is wrong with Live-TV Stream and presentation!

And I think that´s the Issue we are discussing HERE. I think we are discussing here the Issue of 200 ms Audio Render delay on Live-TV, which results in video and audio stuttering. And that´s what tourettes said:

Yes it is but it is still not 100% comparable since on recordings TsReader cannot face buffer underrun situation as there is always data available.

Brudertac

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2006
    Augsburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

To clear this; i have to "regsvr" the file on the Client or on the TV-Server?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    TsReader goes on the client in the MP install directory. You don't have to regsvr. Just back up the existing file then overwrite it with the one you are testing. regsvr'ing it would create multiple entries in the registry...

mm

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I absolutely do not agree to that! Stuttering occurs on live-TV and NOT on recorded / timeshifted content!

As FloMan adviced for testing, we should NOT go back 15 Seconds or press Pause to check if something is wrong with Live-TV Stream and presentation!

And I think that´s the Issue we are discussing HERE. I think we are discussing here the Issue of 200 ms Audio Render delay on Live-TV, which results in video and audio stuttering. And that´s what tourettes said:

Jimbeam,

Easy does it. I had kindly asked if I should enter a separate bug report and am now receiving mixed messages.

I can confirm that the stuttering on HD channels can be found in the recorded TV show - I wouldn't have said so, if this wasn't the case. So for the sake of avoiding misunderstandings: I am watching for example ZDF HD while I record the same show. While watching Live-TV (which actually comes from the timeshift buffer) I can observe here and there the above-mentioned discontinuities. Stopping TV and then switching to the recorded show produces the same stutterings.

I would have suspected my TV card, yet this problem occured with the 1.2.0 final and was not present in the beta.

So please allow me to repeat my question if I should post a separate bug report.

Thanks, HTPC_Sourcer

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Re: AW: Stuttering on Live-TV - since 1.2

Hi again everyone

So please allow me to repeat my question if I should post a separate bug report.
    I think I'd like to see some logs to check if you are seeing the same problem. Real discontinuities in the stream would show in TsWriter and/or TsReader log, and the symptoms for the audio buffering problem would show in the TsReader log. Although some aspects of your description (corruptions in the same places) don't sound the same as the issues described by other people, I don't think it would hurt if you posted logs here for a start - if the problem turns out to be different then you could start a new thread.

mm

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: Stuttering on Live-TV - since 1.2

Thanks mm,
    Although some aspects of your description (corruptions in the same places) don't sound the same as the issues described by other people, I don't think it would hurt if you posted logs here for a start - if the problem turns out to be different then you could start a new thread.

Logs have already been posted in the German thread. Please have a look here

regards,
    HTPC_Sourcer

jimbeam128

Portal Pro
    December 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Understood,

so from my point of view we should create another bug report for this Issue, because this seems to be then a different "Issue".

Maybe your behaviour comes from the same root cause. I´ve got also ZDF and ARD on HD. I´ll also give it a try and have a look if I can see any Issues. Could you create another bugreport and attach the log-files of MediaPortal and TV-Server there? And report the moment when stuttering occurs?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Re: AW: Re: AW: Stuttering on Live-TV - since 1.2

HTPC_Sourcer:

It is *definitely* a different problem from my perspective. Lots of continuity problems in your TsWriter logs, showing there are problems with the signal even before you try to play it. Sample:

11-10-2011 19:23:10.610 Recorder:pid 17e9 Continuity error... 8 ( prev 5 ) - bad signal?

Common causes of discontinuity errors:

1. Signal strength quality ==> check cables and dish/aerial alignment.
    2. HDD stress ==> check that virus scanners don't scan the timeshifting and recording folders, check for other HDD intensive processes, try a different HDD.
    3. Overheating components ==> check heat levels around tuners and HDDs.
    4. Interference ==> (difficult to check and eliminate)
    5. CAM issues ==> try removing the CAM and testing with free channels.

I can't tell you any more about the problem than that - you really need to investigate your setup yourself - so I would say don't start a new thread.

mm

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Stuttering on Live-TV - since 1.2

Common causes of discontinuity errors:

1. Signal strength quality ==> check cables and dish/aerial alignment.
    2. HDD stress ==> check that virus scanners don't scan the timeshifting and recording folders, check for other HDD intensive processes, try a different HDD.
    3. Overheating components ==> check heat levels around tuners and HDDs.
    4. Interference ==> (difficult to check and eliminate)
    5. CAM issues ==> try removing the CAM and testing with free channels.
    mm,

Thanks for these hints. However, please note that the problems started at the moment when I moved from the 1.2.0 Beta to the Final (might have also been the RC).

1. The signal is perfect. Stuttering also occurs under bright sunshine.
    2. Went though this. Timeshift on different HDD has no effect.
    3. The system is really "cool". Besides, the hardware didn't change and I had no problem until the new release.
    4. What is "interference"?
    5. I have no CAM

Well, anyway. I appreciate you having looked into it and confirm that we (diskeeper has the same issues) seem to be struggling with a dfifferent topic.

regards, HTPC_Sourcer

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom