Support for .RAW image format? (1 Viewer)

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    I think everyone's got this whole RAW thing wrong. You shoot in raw for the reasons cited, but the point is that you then do your own processing back at your "lab" (your computer), to get things the way you want. The resulting image is saved in some other format, and that image is the one that you then display (via Media Portal or anything else).

I don't think you want MP displaying your RAW images; they'll be, well, uh raw, and lacking any tonal tweaking etc. you're likely to want to do. And if you don't need to do any tweaking, then perhaps you don't need to save your images in raw format to begin with. But that's a different point. My main point is that MP shouldn't really be displaying RAW images, it should display post-processed images.

Shouldn't it?

KostaKrauth

January 4, 2009
    Well, you have a valid point there actually... I agree with you. I saw someone before mention importing lightroom catalogs but that would be a bit excessive... I suppose it's easier to just keep the exported jpegs somewhere... oh the wasted space :)

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Speaking of Lightroom. I'm torn between investing huge amounts of time using Lightroom's tagging abilities knowing that I can't exploit that effort in MP, and avoiding LR for anything other than image tweaking.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think everyone's got this whole RAW thing wrong. You shoot in raw for the reasons cited, but the point is that you then do your own processing back at your "lab" (your computer), to get things the way you want. The resulting image is saved in some other format, and that image is the one that you then display (via Media Portal or anything else).

I don't think you want MP displaying your RAW images; they'll be, well, uh raw, and lacking any tonal tweaking etc. you're likely to want to do. And if you don't need to do any tweaking, then perhaps you don't need to save your images in raw format to begin with. But that's a different point. My main point is that MP shouldn't really be displaying RAW images, it should display post-processed images.

Shouldn't it?

Thank you soo much for these true words...

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    With Terabytes of storage being sold to the masses as cheap candy, I really don't see the point in making a RAW-viewer for MP.

As others have pointed out, not only would a RAW-conversion be an excessive waste of computertime (if you convert a picture each time you scroll forward/back at least), it would also be a less viewable product, since the RAW will take longer time to load, be more unpolished and much more difficult to maintain (what a nightmare to update the plugin, when manufacturers decide to change a small detail in the file-object).

ceck

Portal Member
    January 9, 2009
    Hi, it's possible to use an external raw view software for view raw image instead of internal player?

Thanks

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    I think you're asking if it's possible inside MediaPortal. There are plugins that let you run external programs, but you won't actually be inside MP and it won't have the same look and feel. And the only programs I know of are full editing suites, which seems a strange thing to run inside Media Portal on your living room TV...

ceck

Portal Member
    January 9, 2009
    I add a .nef (Nikon raw format) file to know extensions so yet i have a preview of images when open my pictures folder inside MediaPortal, but, when i start a slide show the images are very pixelate.

I saw a "file property" tab and the dimension of images result 160x120, that are very strange because the real image dimension are 3008x2000 (it's 12bit raw image).

In my opinion the problem is the inesact resolution assigned to image.

What do you think about?

Sorry for my bad english. :(

Thanks

El pana/TL32

January 10, 2009
    Would also like to see the support of RAW/NEF in MP, for viewing/slide show purposes.

Thanks

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I add a .nef (Nikon raw format) file to know extensions so yet i have a preview of images when open my pictures folder inside MediaPortal, but, when i start a slide show the images are very pixelate.

I saw a "file property" tab and the dimension of images result 160x120, that are very strange because the real image dimension are 3008x2000 (it's 12bit raw image).

When you add it to the extensions then MP's thumbnail grabber will extract existing thumbs which are embedded into the metadata. These are low quality of course...

To all people who seem to cannot read - maybe a little more direct:
    If you WANT to watch RAW images with Mediaportal you most likely DON'T want to shoot in RAW mode at all :rolleyes:

There is NO point to support RAW in an HTPC app. If you do not have the time or lack the skill to produce something beautiful out of those RAW files (imho only an emergency option to recover rare moments with bad lighting) then please shoot in JPEG! Besides the comments of some reviews in magazines your camera will produce better images than you most likely get out of the RAW files.

MP will always be designed for watching / showing content. If something wasn't worth to be processed at your lab you shouldn't consider showing it to your guests :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom