Surrendering: MP 1.10 and MySQL 5.6 just won't install and run (1 Viewer)

Rasnell

January 25, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
After two days and about four hours of installing, uninstalling, rebooting and every tip tested on these forums, I'm about to surrender. I just can't get MP to recognize or install MySQL.

I've cleared the hidden folders, program data, removed every crumb of MP and MySQL and it just won't work.

I even began without ever having MySQL on my PC and the first, fresh install of MP hit the same errors, of start service exception.

I'm just not savvy enough to figure out how to use this and the installer just isn't doing it. I'm apparently not smart enough to do the right tweaking.

Are they any other alternatives to MP in the open source world that are easier to install and use?

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    After two days and about four hours of installing, uninstalling, rebooting and every tip tested on these forums, I'm about to surrender. I just can't get MP to recognize or install MySQL.
    Sad to hear. You shouldn't be forced to do this. The plain installation of MP should be without these kind of problems. But as you're not providing logs, it's hard for devs to give you a hint what is going on. So if you want to try MP, I would suggest to provide logs.

Are they any other alternatives to MP in the open source world that are easier to install and use?
    Plenty of them...but if you want to use TV, imho all alternative are way behind what MP is providing. If you don't need TV, I guess XBMC is worth a try.

Rasnell

January 25, 2015
    Home Country
    TV is the only use I have. I want to replace Media Center and use my TV tuner to schedule and record.

Which of the numerous log files do you want me to actually upload?

Attached is a screen shot of the different file names with error logs so you can tell me which one to upload.

Attachments

• error log.JPG
      error log.JPG
      107.7 KB
    Last edited:

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Just to make it clear: I am no dev or expert. I am more of a experienced user :)

But: use the watchdog app of MP which collects all logs in a zip file and upload it here. And please describe exactly what you have done and what errors you are seeing.

Please do a complete reinstall first (deinstall MP completely, deinstall MySQL (if still on your system), clear all folders). After that only install MP (MySQL should be installed automatically during the installation). If you have errors after this way, use the watchdog as described above. Good luck!

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I just can't get MP to recognize or install MySQL.
    The first time that I tried to install MP, I had a similar problem. I had naively assumed that the file downloaded from the MP web site was self-contained, and included everything needed for a successful installation. Not so! During installation of MP, it needs to download other stuff from the internet. I routinely switch off the internet(!) when I am not using it, and this was the case when I was trying to install MP (so no surprise that MP would not work).

I know that this is a long shot (most people probably leave their internet connection enabled 24/7), but I thought that it was worth mentioning.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Rasnell

January 25, 2015
    Home Country
    The error log is attached as asked.

Here are the many attempts over a two-day period:

I had never had Media Portal or MySQL before. I did a first-time clean install of Media Portal and it failed during the installer's attempt to install MySQL.

I uninstalled, removed all hidden remnants of MP and MySQL, including program data, etc.

I then tried a reinstall with the same failure.

So here is what I've done to try one more time and get ready for your instructions:
    1. Full uninstall including removal of registry keys, etc. of Media Portal.
    2. Uninstall of MYSQL server.
    3. Removal of hidden and remaining MYSQL files manually.
    4. Removal of Team Media Portal and MySQL from program data hidden files.

I've done this same thing before and tried a complete install of Media Portal and keep getting the same failure with MySQL using the Media Portal installer.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Are you running the installer with admin privileges (as you probably should be)? (...right click, run as administrator)

Rasnell

January 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Are you running the installer with admin privileges (as you probably should be)? (...right click, run as administrator)

Same error. And this time watchdog couldn't generate the error log because even it crashed as an error so I can't post the new log for you. This is more trouble than it's worth. I've read every forum link and troubleshot in every way suggested. The installer just doesn't work for me.

I'm open to trying something never posted on the forums before. But I've tried everything else multiple times.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    From the Windows application event log:
    "1/24/2015 4:13:33 PM";"Application Error";"Application Crashing Events";"Error";"Faulting application name: MySQLInstaller.exe, version: 1.4.3.0, time stamp: 0x5452ca5f Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18409, time stamp: 0x5315a05a Exception code: 0xc000041d Fault offset: 0x000000000000940d Faulting process id: 0x2b4c Faulting application start time: 0x01d03819cf17e82d Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\MySQL\MySQL Installer for Windows\MySQLInstaller.exe Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll Report Id: d9a48d8c-a40d-11e4-852a-0008ca8606f0";"1000"
    "1/24/2015 4:13:35 PM";"Windows Error Reporting";"(0)";"Information";"Fault bucket , type 0 Event Name: APPCRASH Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: MySQLInstaller.exe P2: 1.4.3.0 P3: 5452ca5f P4: KERNELBASE.dll P5: 6.1.7601.18409 P6: 5315a05a P7: c000041d P8: 000000000000940d P9: P10: Attached files: C:\Users\rog\AppData\Local\Temp\WERABD6.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml These files may be available here: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_MySQLInstaller.e_c56da829d9928910db30ff2b36c171f6721f8298_05ebb5d4 Analysis symbol: Rechecking for solution: 0 Report Id: d9a48d8c-a40d-11e4-852a-0008ca8606f0 Report Status: 1";"1001"

In other words, the MySQL installer seems to be crashing.
    This is somewhat outside our control.
    If I were you I'd check that I'd installed the MySQL prerequisites. If I had all the prerequisites I'd try to install MySQL by itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom