TBS: CI/CAM support and other improvements (5 Viewers)

AberDino

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2005
    Kincardineshire
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Hello all, I'm planning to overhaul my TV-server and it seems the TBS cards are generally well recommended, although not (yet) natively supported by MP? I was thinking about the TBS6280 dual DVB-T2 tuner (for Freeview) and the TBS6991 dual DVB-S2 tuner (for Freesat and CanalDigitaal) with CI support (for the CanalDigitaal CAM, hence the post in this thread). I'd like to continue using DJBlu's Sky UK Grabber as well... Should I be able to get this working on v1.3.0 RC with the appropriate patches? Any user experiences? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think you need to find someone to port the patch to the RC version (shouldn't be a big problem) since mm took a break and we don't know when or even if he comes back... :/ But his work isn't completely lost and gets some love in the TVE3.5 project which is part of MP2 ;)
    The drawback is that this patch won't get into TVE3 and you have to wait until TVE3.5 is stable to replace TVE3...

mm wrote me in a pm that these are the known issues (December 2012):
    The problems with releasing the Turbosight branch are:
    1. No support for multiple TBS tuners with CI slots (eg. 2 x TBS 5980, or 1 x TBS 6991).
    2. TBS On_Exit_CI() causes crash and possible BSOD.
    3. No support for multi-channel decryption.
    4. Filter creation causes stream failure for existing instances (eg. start timeshifting/recording on one TBS tuner, trying to start timeshifting on any other tuner may cause the stream from the TBS tuner to stop).
    5. Newer TBS tuners with CI slots not supported.

These are all things that I consider serious issues that I would like to fix before releasing publicly again. 1, 3, and 5 are fixed in updated unstable branches (with other minor fixes) but 2 and 4 are still issues that I am communicating with TBS about.
    we reported some issues back to TBS and they changed something on their drivers, so maybe things have improved, but as I told you, mm is in a break....

And no, TVE3.5 isn't a complete new tv engine, but has some big changes to be operable with MP2 and also changes how it handles hardware... check git, MP2 or you have to wait for the release for more infos :p

Last edited:

momeijer

Portal Member
    February 16, 2011
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi FreakyJ,

To my knowledge the provided fix is based on the TVE3.5 source. I would guess that not much would have changed in the specific Turbosight source? Or am I wrong?

For weeks now I'm compiling the TVE3.5 branch. It's has improved much, but still not usable as alpha or bleeding edge user. ;-) I wonder if bug reports at this stage are desired? And if so, where to report.

Up until the current build MP extension installer crashes (MSCORLIB). As far that I can see it has something to do with two lines of code pointing to Windows TEMP and FONTS folder. When these subsequent lines of code are commented with // it seems to work. Besides that there are some more mscorlib crashes.
    Not complaining though! It's the unstable branch right!? :)

Anyway, getting a bit off-topic here. ;-)

Last edited:

Markus1980Wien

Portal Member
    August 28, 2012
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Just an info:

When I created my patch for MediaPortal 1.3 Beta (which also runs on 1.3 RC) I also incorporated the changes in the Turbosight sources of the TV3.5 branch. So issues 1, 3 and 5 of the above list should also be fixed in my patch.

When MediaPortal 1.3 Final will be released, I will create a new patch, incorporating the newest TV3.5 Turbosight sources available at this time.

AberDino

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2005
    Kincardineshire
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Thanks guys for your feedback, I conclude the proposed setup should work as long as I use the patch created by "Markus1980Wien" and native TBS CI support should be included in the future as part of TVE3.5. Please correct me if I've the wrong end of the stick...

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi FreakyJ,

To my knowledge the provided fix is based on the TVE3.5 source. I would guess that not much would have changed in the specific Turbosight source? Or am I wrong?

For weeks now I'm compiling the TVE3.5 branch. It's has improved much, but still not usable as alpha or bleeding edge user. ;-) I wonder if bug reports at this stage are desired? And if so, where to report.

Up until the current build MP extension installer crashes (MSCORLIB). As far that I can see it has something to do with two lines of code pointing to Windows TEMP and FONTS folder. When these subsequent lines of code are commented with // it seems to work. Besides that there are some more mscorlib crashes.
    Not complaining though! It's the unstable branch right!? :)

Anyway, getting a bit off-topic here. ;-)

use this with all optimizations etc inside:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-1/tree/EXP-TVE3.5_SEB_MERGE_Testing_Only

And I think there is no public area for reporting problems yet, sorry oO There are still some known problems and I think before these are not fixed there will be no public testing => to bad PR xD But you're welcome to give feedback if public testing starts or you try MP2 with native Tv (is based on TVE3.5) and give some feedback there, I think morph would be happy :)
    okay enough offtopic^^

@Markus1980Wien
    thanks for providing a patch to our community (y)

@AberDino
    you're right :)

momeijer

Portal Member
    February 16, 2011
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    use this with all optimizations etc inside:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-1/tree/EXP-TVE3.5_SEB_MERGE_Testing_Only

And I think there is no public area for reporting problems yet, sorry oO There are still some known problems and I think before these are not fixed there will be no public testing => to bad PR xD But you're welcome to give feedback if public testing starts or you try MP2 with native Tv (is based on TVE3.5) and give some feedback there, I think morph would be happy :)
    okay enough offtopic^^

That's the branch I was talking about, including the MPE temp/fonts issue. Nevertheless improvements are coming through every day and I just keep on compiling patiently. It is the only development skill I have in this matter, the human compiler. ;)

@Markus1980Wien
    thanks for providing a patch to our community (y)

Very much so! For me it still works rock solid with every new build. (y)

Last edited:

DennisOlof

Portal Member
    February 28, 2013
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi.

Does anyone know if the "up and coming" release of Mediaportal will support newer TBS cards, thinking about those with CI-slots etc. Would be nice if TBS could work with the people that are responsible for the TBS cards to get this working, after all it's just a standard CI-slot, and it does seem to work with a lot of CAMs out there, out of the box that they have tested.

It does seem TBS6991 don't support using one CAM plus card and feed that to both tuners option. If this is true or not I don't know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom