TBS: CI/CAM support and other improvements (3 Viewers)

stene

Portal Member
May 18, 2008
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hello,

My setup:
TV server running fresh install of Win7-x86 with latest drivers for TBS6984 (3 of 4 tuners active), running as dedicated TV-server. Two TV-clients with Win7-x86 and mediaportal 1.2.1.

During the weekend i reinstalled the TV-server and at first everything was all ok. But at some time during saturday i started experiencing tv-server crashes, i was also unable to tune in to any channels on any but the first tuner (tuner a). I read about Scummis crashes here and since i also is need mdapi i disabled mdapi but there was no success. After some time i did the (!) unthinkable, i restarted my tv-server and ever since the server has been up and running. :) My guess then is that my crashes, inability to tune on all tuners was related to driverissues. I was also fiddling around with preload card, pause/stop card settings when i had the crashes. I am not sure how i had it setup then, more than that at the moment the settings are back to default.

My only problem now is that when zapping (at the TV-client) i sometimes get the error "Could not create graph" (or similar). It's not often, but often enough for the wife to get confused.

The TV server has been running since late saturday, added som recording schedules (some with overlapping timeslots) and so far i have 10-15 recordings done with tv server.

All in all, its working great.

onelegend

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2010
    Bournemouth
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi

Hoping this can reduce channel change times - tvsouce in 7mc and media portal appear to have the same tuning method which doesn't seem to be optimal for the tbs6981 tuner. DVBviewer however tunes very fast - hd channels in mediaportal are about5/6 seconds, dvbviewer 2 seconds.

Note - I used identical transponder files for tvsource and dvbviewer.

I installed the plugin but it appears to crash out the tv service on tune request.

Attached debug logs

Let me know if you need further logs (I have 3 different spec systems each with tbs 6981 tuners available to test).

Many thanks
    Ian

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi onelegend

I'm wondering if these crashes might be due to you (and DJBlu) having other TV Server modifications - the custom data grabber and so on. Are you able to test on a clean/fresh install? Either way I intend to post an update to this patch and hopefully get the code into GitHub on the weekend...

mm

bluebear

Portal Pro
    September 19, 2008
    Hi mm1352000!

I finally got to make some logs for you. This is with a 6922 and all logs from tvserver. Seems to be alot of errors related to
    cam, but also errors when starting up.
    Made a run in test channels in the tvserver config. It appears that every 60th or so tuning have no signal.
    I have seen this in my day to day use also, but more frequent than what the test channels would imply.
    And it seems to work for 4-5 sec than picture freeze. Tuning details says signal level is 0. If I change channel
    I have picture again, but it can distort or freeze again later on. However if I stop timeshiftbuffer and start again I
    do not experience these stops. I´m not sure if this is related, I have seen it before your patch. Although back then
    I could not use my diseqC. Writing it here to see if I´m the only one seeing this.

All in all it works ok, just a few small glitches. Hope my logs help.
    Cheers, B.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi bluebear

Thanks for testing! :D

Made a run in test channels in the tvserver config. It appears that every 60th or so tuning have no signal.
    I have seen this in my day to day use also, but more frequent than what the test channels would imply.
    Such issues are hard to track down since it is hard to conclusively prove that they are caused by a code problem. It could be tuner driver issues, signal, DiSEqC switch, intermittent interference...
    Have you tried temporarily testing with the switch removed to try to narrow down the problems?

And it seems to work for 4-5 sec than picture freeze. Tuning details says signal level is 0. If I change channel
    I have picture again, but it can distort or freeze again later on. However if I stop timeshiftbuffer and start again I
    do not experience these stops. I´m not sure if this is related, I have seen it before your patch. Although back then
    I could not use my diseqC. Writing it here to see if I´m the only one seeing this.
    I think it is unlikely that this patch would cause those kinds of issues, however I guess anything is possible. For those kinds of issues it would be critical to have the TsReader logs from the client.

All in all it works ok, just a few small glitches. Hope my logs help.
    They definitely do. You are the first person to test and confirm that DiSEqC works with the 6922. :)

Now I'd really like to find the cause of the crashing!

mm

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Full MP cleanup, reinstall with 0 plugins

Still crashes on tune request - logs attached bud

Thanks
    Ian

Thanks for checking Ian. :D
    I'm at work at the moment so there is nothing that I can do immediately but I will certainly take another look at the code this evening.

mm

DJBlu

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2007
    Llanelli
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    mm1352000

Is it possible you could email a patch file to me

djblu :at: djblu.plus.com

as I would like to help out. I can sort out the crashing errors with the 6981 card as I have 3 here at home. I would like to get to the bottom of the slow HD channel changing.

Thanks.

bluebear

Portal Pro
    September 19, 2008
    Such issues are hard to track down since it is hard to conclusively prove that they are caused by a code problem.

I think it is unlikely that this patch would cause those kinds of issues, however I guess anything is possible. For those kinds of issues it would be critical to have the TsReader logs from the client.
    Yes I agree. If I find something reproducible I let you know. However, I do not experience this with dvbviewer, although
    I do not use it like I use mediportal. Its mostly debuging to iron out mediaportal related issues from everything else.
    Also, I did not have them with my tevii s470 card either. I will check with the s470 again this weekend.

Now I'd really like to find the cause of the crashing!
    I have had some rare crashes, but nothing serious.Nothing that made me look at the tvcard.
    Maybe I´m exempt from it. Wow, that would be a first:)

Again, thanks for your work with this mm! :D

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi DJBlu

I've switched from SVN to Git and pushed the code to GitHub as I intended to do earlier this week so you can get the code whenever you like. I'm only sorry I didn't have the time to do it earlier for you. It is in the Turbosight sub-branch off the EXP-Tuner_hardware_support_cleanup_and_extension branch.

The code that I think you'll be looking at for the DVB-S --> DVB-S2 channel changes is in the SetTuningParameters() function in the Turbosight base class.

I'd also appreciate some help tracking down the crashes too if you're able to help in that department. I still can't reproduce them. From the logs posted by shummi I could see that execution appeared to often die in the TurbosightUsb constructor immediately after calling:

Code:
    int hr = _propertySet.QuerySupported(BdaExtensionPropertySet, (int)BdaExtensionProperty.Motor, out support);

The debug "debug: query done" entry in the logs -->here<-- was inserted immediately after that line of code. We can immediately tell that execution did not go through either of the if clauses since there is debug there that is not in the logs, and there was another debug line at the end of the TurbosightUsb constructor which never got executed either. Considering that the exception in the error log which in my opinion is the true cause of the crash is in TVController.CardPresent() - code that I haven't been anywhere near - I really have no idea what is going on.

Note that I have refactored things a bit since I released the first DLL - I now use tuner filter name comparisons to check whether the CI interface should be opened. That means that the 6981 and 6984 should no longer be recognised as having a CI slot, however I am missing the names of the 6992 and 6928 tuners so the code as it stands right now doesn't support their CI slot interfaces.

Sing out if you have any questions. Would kinda also appreciate feedback on the code itself...

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom