Teletext subtitles (2 Viewers)

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I have a few channels with teletext subtitles.
    So naturally I am happy to read that this is being worked on.

(I know it isn't released yet.)

But how will I activate the subs ?
    Does mediaportal remeber what sub you selected on any given channel ?
    This would make it easier for the user when the same channel is revisited - the subs are then auto-selected based on the previous sub. selected.

using single- and multi- seat here.

/Gibman

misterd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    But how will I activate the subs ?
    Does mediaportal remeber what sub you selected on any given channel ?
    This would make it easier for the user when the same channel is revisited - the subs are then auto-selected based on the previous sub. selected.
    Currently I don't plan to modify anything there. Perhaps when the other stuff is done. But I have two possible solutions for your problem:
    - It would be possible to add an option to the setup of every channel, that will be written to the DB, where you can specifiy this page. If you than activate subtitles in MP and could check this option and activate the teletext.
    - Another solution would be that the serever caches all pages and than automatically determines the subtitle page and you can activate subtitle in MP. The problem is that it will only work, if there is only one page that is marked as subtitle.

The modifications I mentioned in my earlier post are almost done. Currently I'm only sorting out some strange bugs and comment the new code. Hopefully I have a test version this weekend. This version will then use ACTIONs that exists in MP. When this version works I will integrate new ACTIONs to MP.

MisterD

jojjal

Portal Pro
    October 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Great to see that Teletext subs is being worked on...

My main problem with teletexthat subs is that it seems to update the subs every 15 sec..... I can tell that because if i have the teletext page, then i see the clock shows intervals of 15 seconds..... so the subtitles is kinda random..

But thanks for all of your work...

//johan

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    misterd: I like the first solution u mention about extending the channel table with a new field. Sure hope to see this one realized :)
    Also remember to modify the import export XML functionality of the tvserver in order to support the newly added field.

But how are teletext subs activated in general ?
    Do I have to enter the teletext module and enter a specific page nr ?

It would be prettier if teletext subs could be selected from the context menu when watching TV.

F9 -->context
    Teletext Subs --> sub menu
    xxx none
    111 danish
    112 norwegian
    etc.
    Also a marking of the currently running subtitle would be nice too.
    :D

/Gibman

Throt

Portal Member
    March 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    not transparent ?

Hi

Tried last nights build of the tvserver, but for me the subtitles weren't transparent, i e the teletext box never disappeard but was a big black box covering the picture, like it was with the early 0.2.2.0 versions. A known issue or am I the only one experiencing it?

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

misterd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My main problem with teletexthat subs is that it seems to update the subs every 15 sec..... I can tell that because if i have the teletext page, then i see the clock shows intervals of 15 seconds..... so the subtitles is kinda random..
    The reason for this is very simple. The server stores every received page in his cache and then determines the rotation time. The standard rotation time is 15 seconds. But the client doesn't get informed by the server. The client only requests the pages and then gets the current stored page in the cache. To avoid a high cpu load the client uses the rotation time as interval.
    This can be fixed, but there are a lot of code changes needed in the server and client module.

Hi

Tried last nights build of the tvserver, but for me the subtitles weren't transparent, i e the teletext box never disappeard but was a big black box covering the picture, like it was with the early 0.2.2.0 versions. A known issue or am I the only one experiencing it?
    I just tested it and can confirm the issue. In one of my last patches for the teletext module I made a small mistake. In my personal test version this issue is already fixed.

But how are teletext subs activated in general ?
    Do I have to enter the teletext module and enter a specific page nr ?
    Exactly.

It would be prettier if teletext subs could be selected from the context menu when watching TV.

F9 -->context
    Teletext Subs --> sub menu
    xxx none
    111 danish
    112 norwegian
    etc.
    Also a marking of the currently running subtitle would be nice too.
    The detection of all subtitle pages isn't a problem, but there is no possibility to detect the language. But I will make some brainstorming on this.

MisterD

Throt

Portal Member
    March 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Fixes usable in TVengine2?

MisterD,
    Not knowing if there is 2 totally diffrent versions of the teletext module in v2 and v3, but would it be possible to use your current stutter-fixes in tvengine v2 as it doesn't seem to suffer from that 15s rotation time?

Cheers

misterd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The teletext modules are very similar and most of the patches could be transferred to TVE2. The main problem is that I don't have a running installation of the TVE2 and so I can't test anything.

But the problem with the rotation time can be also removed in TVE3. IMHO there are two possible solutions:
    - Every time the server receives a new version of the page, it automatically sends it to the corresponding client. This should be the easier solution.
    - The server also records the teletext in the .ts file and timeshift buffers. Then the whole handling of the teletext could be done in the client. IMHO this is the better solution, but I don't know how to modify the filter to store the teletext data in the file.

Perhaps I will look at this problem when the first step is completed and committed to SVN. I think that I can post a test version of my modified teletext module on Sunday.

Regards,
    MisterD

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Would the second option include timeshifting and recording subtitles? That would be awesome!
    I'm using TVE2 b.t.w.

misterd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes, but as mentioned I don't know how to modify the filter to write the data to the ts files and this is the big problem. But it should be possible to do this.
    And don't forget that this would only be possible with TVE3 and .ts recordings.

MisterD

Users who are viewing this thread