Testbuilds for Native MP2 TV - Updated for 10th AE Update 1 (2014-09-13)! (2 Viewers)

Nervesagent

Portal Pro
February 26, 2014
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
MePo TV3 server support is working pretty well with Kodi too.
You also can use TVE 3.0 inside MP2 Server and use Kodi as client on some devices too. The TVServerKodi plugin needed for this is working with both, MP1 and MP2 since some time. So using Kodi is no reason for stick on MP1 and also no reason for change to MP2...

By the way, I can not understand the hype about Titan. I never liked the "Candy Store" look and feel. Way too flashy... I prefer the content over the skin, but with Titan the skin is all that is gathering attention. Not what I want to look at daily.

I picked it because it just has a few simple buttons on the home screen that do exactly what they say..it's a big WAF-factor there. I don't like submenu's popping out when you hover over a button. That's what I also disliked about Kodi for a long time.
Also it is easy to remove any buttons (a little harder to create new ones, but doable with multi-shortcut).

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I picked it because it just has a few simple buttons on the home screen that do exactly what they say..
    Then you have a different Titan Skin... The skin I've tested (it's long ago since I've used MP1 the last time) it has sometimes, but not always a popup menu (e.g. for TV and afair for Videos too) and you never know what it does next... Grr... I really hate it, one of the worst skins I've ever seen for any HTPC software.

A few simple buttons without sub-menu, that is exactly how all "older" MP2 skins are working...

Nervesagent

Portal Pro
    February 26, 2014
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I picked it because it just has a few simple buttons on the home screen that do exactly what they say..
    Then you have a different Titan Skin... The skin I've tested (it's long ago since I've used MP1 the last time) it has sometimes, but not always a popup menu (e.g. for TV and afair for Videos too) and you never know what it does next... Grr... I really hate it, one of the worst skins I've ever seen for any HTPC software.

A few simple buttons without sub-menu, that is exactly how all "older" MP2 skins are working...
    I did edit the homescreen and removed all submenus and buttons I didn't want with the Titan Editor. Really easy.

GuiltyNL

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2013
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    With MP2.1 released, I was expecting that v3.5 of the server would have been included. But the last build of this server version is still more than a year ago.

Is this 3.5 version still in development? And why isn't it included in the 2.1 Pre-release?

GuiltyNL

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2013
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ok I do understand this, but the last build is from september 2015. That is 15 months ago.

And I think with the (pre)release of 2.1 this 3.5 server version could have been included.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    And I think with the (pre)release of 2.1 this 3.5 server version could have been included.
    You sound like an investor complaining that he is not getting enough return for his money. ;)Please consider the following:

1. This is an open source project where people invest their free time
    2. TVE 3.5 is not managed by the MP2 team. We depend on input from others.
    If you are not happy with our performance, I respectfully would suggest to consider alternatives such as installing WMC on your Windows 7 system ;).

GuiltyNL

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2013
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I do understand, I'll quote myself:

No offence, I do understand that you guys do this besides normal jobs and you are not being paid for it. But MP2 has been in development for ages now and nothing really seem to happen.

But it is a fact that the development is much slower than Kodi for example. Which I'm running now (because I was able to use DVBLink with it which has native Octopus.Net support)

I'll update my hardware as I'm running Windows 10 on a Intel NUC for some time. ;)

But MP is more stable than Kodi and less 'complex'

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    if you wish I remove the tag again, so you can announce it separately later.
    I don't mind.

But perhaps a little bit advertisement can increase excitement of the right people.
    You're not the first person to suggest this. On various occasions I've spent a lot of time and effort explaining what I'm working on and/or asking for help with detailed/specific problems/features/modules. It made no difference. Really, zero buy in. Needless to say: I decided not to bother doing that again.

I'm a designer basically without coding skills, that learned xaml language to code my design. I'm not able to write #C code, so it's not an excuse or something.
    ...but if you learned XAML (presumably that took a lot of time and effort) in order to code your design, why couldn't you learn C# in order to help with TVE 3.5?
    (...and perhaps more to the point: why do you assume that you need to know C# in order to help with TVE 3.5?)
    Again and in other words: the thing that stands out clearly to me is that you're willing to invest a lot of time and effort when something really matters to you. It seems like TVE 3.5 simply doesn't matter enough for you to be willing to invest that much time and effort. Maybe I'm wrong in my interpretation; I'm just trying to explain my perspective, and why I'm disappointed when I read a response like this.

I'm not able to create a full picture of a commit history and I think this is valid for most users in forum.
    This I can understand. For some people looking at code and/or commits can be too technical.

f I can do anything about design, I'm helping, but I can't see a need for TVE3.5.
    Mmm, you don't see the need, but did you ask?
    I mean, how would you be able to see the need if you're not able to understand the commit history?
    (I think I could find tasks for "experience design" - user interface, task flow etc.)

...and I wonder if you think design is the only way you could contribute? (Surely this is not the case. If you can handle XAML, I think there would be other non-design things you can help with.)

I'm not trying to be critical. Just trying to challenge you to open your mind a little. [edit: ...and not underestimate your abilities!]

And I'm the only designer for MP2. Though it's hard to compare the efforts I'm at the limit of my free time I have. This is valid for many active people here.
    Yes, I fully understand and accept this. We have to prioritise and set reasonable limits for ourselves. I face the same challenge. Many things interest me, but I only have X amount of free time and energy.

I think nobody wants TVE3.5 dead!
    Sure, but I think we have to face reality. I've been working alone for ~3 years (???). People could have jumped in at any point in that time... but they haven't. I think there's a message in that.

GuiltyNL

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2013
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Sure, but I think we have to face reality. I've been working alone for ~3 years (???). People could have jumped in at any point in that time... but they haven't. I think there's a message in that.
    Oh shoot. I knew there was more to this. Sorry to hear this. Also my 'complaints' are far from personal, is there really no one in the development team that is able to help you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom