Text files attached to videos (1 Viewer)

beatnut88

Portal Pro
January 15, 2012
Home Country
Hi
Is there a way to attach text files to video files? I just want to enter a description of the TV show that will appear when I highlight the video file in MP
Thanks
Neil

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is there a way to attach text files to video files? I just want to enter a description of the TV show that will appear when I highlight the video file in MP
    You can create an XML file that contains several pieces of information, including programme title and programme description. MP extracts the relevant information from the XML file, and displays it on the "Videos" panel. You don't need to "import" the XML file -- simply place it in the same folder as the video file.

I notice from your "System Specs" that you have a TV tuner in your HTPC. When "TV Server" records programmes, it creates the XML file that contains the relevant information. If you move the video TS file to the "Videos" section of MP (I do this), you should move the XML file too (and also the JPG file if you have opted to create thumbnails).

For TS files where the XML file never existed, or has gone AWOL, you can manually create the XML file. Simply use one of the XML files created by "TV Server" as a model for the one you want to create.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

beatnut88

Portal Pro
    January 15, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks. I tried that. While it may work fine with TS files I need something that works with video files - mainly MP4 - in the video section
    Still seeking a solution
    Neil

tony72

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    There is an entry in the wiki, it sounds like you should be able to do this, but it's not something I've tried personally, is this any help?

Using nfo files

beatnut88

Portal Pro
    January 15, 2012
    Home Country
    Hi
    Thanks. I has seen it but it looks to me like it's only for grabbing data from IMDB - which won't work for me because the videos I have aren't there.
    Maybe the option doesn't exist in which case I guess I should suggest a modification - should be pretty simple to do as the facility exists on the TV side, just not on the video side.
    Neil

tony72

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    Sorry, but you read that wiki page wrong. The idea of nfo files is to provide a text file as an *alternative* source of data to imdb. You can link it to an imdb entry, but you don't have to, and you can put anything you like in the nfo file. I just tested it, and it works fine, and seems to be exactly what you are looking for. I made the following nfo file, and when I select the corresponding video file in mediaportal, the contents of the plot tags are displayed next to it.

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <movie>
      <filenameandpath>E:\Videos\Other Videos\Formula 1\Australia 2019\01.Pre-Qualifying.Buildup.mp4</filenameandpath>
      <title>F1 Australia 2019 - Pre-Qualifying</title>
      <plot>Pre-qualifying show, Ted roaming around the paddock and other nonsense</plot>
    </movie>

Last edited:

beatnut88

Portal Pro
    January 15, 2012
    Home Country
    Oh, that looks promising. so you embed a link to the file. where does the nfo file reside?

tony72

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    It goes in the same folder as the video, and with the same filename as the video, except with the ".nfo" extension.

beatnut88

Portal Pro
    January 15, 2012
    Home Country
    Hi
    I did this but it did not appear when I highlighted the file in MP
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <movie>
    <filenameandpath>D:\DDrive Videos\1 Drama\Baptiste S01E01 (17 February 2019) HDTV 720p.mp4</filenameandpath>
    <title>Baptiste S01E01 (17 February 2019) HDTV 720p.mp4</title>
    <plot>Pre-qualifying show, Ted roaming around the paddock and other nonsense</plot>
    </movie>

beatnut88

Portal Pro
    January 15, 2012
    Home Country
    Whoops!! Forgot to save it with an nfo extension! Then remembered. Thanks so much. This is great!
    Neil

Users who are viewing this thread