Text files attached to videos

Discussion in 'Watch / Listen Media' started by beatnut88, May 21, 2019.

1. beatnut88

beatnut88 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Hi
    Is there a way to attach text files to video files? I just want to enter a description of the TV show that will appear when I highlight the video file in MP
    Thanks
    Neil

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CyberSimian
    • Team MediaPortal

CyberSimian Test Group

Ratings:
    +985 / 3
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    You can create an XML file that contains several pieces of information, including programme title and programme description. MP extracts the relevant information from the XML file, and displays it on the "Videos" panel. You don't need to "import" the XML file -- simply place it in the same folder as the video file.

I notice from your "System Specs" that you have a TV tuner in your HTPC. When "TV Server" records programmes, it creates the XML file that contains the relevant information. If you move the video TS file to the "Videos" section of MP (I do this), you should move the XML file too (and also the JPG file if you have opted to create thumbnails).

For TS files where the XML file never existed, or has gone AWOL, you can manually create the XML file. Simply use one of the XML files created by "TV Server" as a model for the one you want to create.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

• Like Like x 1
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. beatnut88

beatnut88 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Thanks. I tried that. While it may work fine with TS files I need something that works with video files - mainly MP4 - in the video section
    Still seeking a solution
    Neil

5. tony72
    • Premium Supporter

tony72 MP Donator

Ratings:
    +59 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    Show System Specs
    There is an entry in the wiki, it sounds like you should be able to do this, but it's not something I've tried personally, is this any help?

Using nfo files

6. beatnut88

beatnut88 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Hi
    Thanks. I has seen it but it looks to me like it's only for grabbing data from IMDB - which won't work for me because the videos I have aren't there.
    Maybe the option doesn't exist in which case I guess I should suggest a modification - should be pretty simple to do as the facility exists on the TV side, just not on the video side.
    Neil

7. tony72
    • Premium Supporter

tony72 MP Donator

Ratings:
    +59 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    Show System Specs
    Sorry, but you read that wiki page wrong. The idea of nfo files is to provide a text file as an *alternative* source of data to imdb. You can link it to an imdb entry, but you don't have to, and you can put anything you like in the nfo file. I just tested it, and it works fine, and seems to be exactly what you are looking for. I made the following nfo file, and when I select the corresponding video file in mediaportal, the contents of the plot tags are displayed next to it.

Code (Text):
    2. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    3. <movie>
    4.   <filenameandpath>E:\Videos\Other Videos\Formula 1\Australia 2019\01.Pre-Qualifying.Buildup.mp4</filenameandpath>
    5.   <title>F1 Australia 2019 - Pre-Qualifying</title>
    6.   <plot>Pre-qualifying show, Ted roaming around the paddock and other nonsense</plot>
    7. </movie>

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  8. beatnut88

beatnut88 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Oh, that looks promising. so you embed a link to the file. where does the nfo file reside?

9. tony72
    • Premium Supporter

tony72 MP Donator

Ratings:
    +59 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    Show System Specs
    It goes in the same folder as the video, and with the same filename as the video, except with the ".nfo" extension.

10. beatnut88

beatnut88 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Hi
    I did this but it did not appear when I highlighted the file in MP
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <movie>
    <filenameandpath>D:\DDrive Videos\1 Drama\Baptiste S01E01 (17 February 2019) HDTV 720p.mp4</filenameandpath>
    <title>Baptiste S01E01 (17 February 2019) HDTV 720p.mp4</title>
    <plot>Pre-qualifying show, Ted roaming around the paddock and other nonsense</plot>
    </movie>

11. beatnut88

beatnut88 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Whoops!! Forgot to save it with an nfo extension! Then remembered. Thanks so much. This is great!
    Neil

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!