Thumbnailer - creates automaticly thumbnails from videos and tv recordings (3 Viewers)

Do you need a plugin for creating thumbnails?

• Total voters

Neville

Portal Pro
July 21, 2008
Hamilton
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
any reason why the mtn.exe crashes when im using this plugin? (also crashes when using the inbuilt thumbnail plugin in mediaportal)
which log file should I be looking in ? (only started crashing since I did a complete system re-install and upgraded to mp 1.1.0 beta)

I get the same thing, which would suggest it's something unique to New Zealand.
At a guess you're using Freeview terestrial same as me. If so that would suggest someting odd in our DVB-T streams. Running mtn manually, I get much the same result with most working but the odd one crashing out.

seems to work for me using DVB T New Zealand freeview. It just started working sometime back and not been a problem since!
:D

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    i think i get crashes with MPs inbuilt mtn.exe
    not sure if i get crashes with this plugin or not
    (but surely they are the same bc they both use mtn.exe, unless mediaportal mtn.exe is out of date?)

EDIT: I can confirm that i get mtn.exe crashes with thumbnailer plugin + MP1.0.2 + DVB-T H264 HDTV (from New Zealand)
    however i also get thumbnails so it does work. is it trying to create thumbnails for shows that are currently being recorded?

SirShagsalot

Portal Member
    December 17, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Home Country
    Thanks - way cool

Hi,

Being in a part of the world where you can forget about cable TV and Satelite and internet connections are SLLLLLLLOOOOOOOWWWWWWW I need to download TV series, sports etc. (no other way).

It bugged me a little that there where no images in the clips, well, now there are!

:D

Ciao T

SirShagsalot

Portal Member
    December 17, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Home Country
    Hi,

you'd be better using My TV Series for images with downloaded tv programs

Maybe, not sure. Had a look, seems to do a lot more that right is not really needed.

For now TV series live happily in their two different folders (TV & Documentaries) and the fact that they work exactly the same as any DVD or AVI Movie helps the girlfriend to use the system.

We do not record TV at all. I only have a bad local TV signal in a language I do not speak with programming ranging from ridiculous via awful to painfully bad on a good day, worse is frequent.

All the MP does in my place is play music, play movies and downloaded TV like it was a movie and it turns the big TV into a picture frame (okay and weather).

Not what it's main design purpose is, but it does it much better so far than other things I tried.

Greez SSAL

Nato

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2006
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi,

you'd be better using My TV Series for images with downloaded tv programs

Maybe, not sure. Had a look, seems to do a lot more that right is not really needed.

For now TV series live happily in their two different folders (TV & Documentaries) and the fact that they work exactly the same as any DVD or AVI Movie helps the girlfriend to use the system.

We do not record TV at all. I only have a bad local TV signal in a language I do not speak with programming ranging from ridiculous via awful to painfully bad on a good day, worse is frequent.

All the MP does in my place is play music, play movies and downloaded TV like it was a movie and it turns the big TV into a picture frame (okay and weather).

Not what it's main design purpose is, but it does it much better so far than other things I tried.

Greez SSAL
    I agree with Kiwijunglist My Tv series is perfect for downloaded tv shows as that was what it was made for

PussyWagon

Portal Pro
    August 2, 2008
    Hmm.. I have configured my Thumbnailer plugin, but I cant see any folder.jpg is created anywhere? I guess the folder.jpg is created in same folder as the video file?
    And what if there is more than one video file in the folder?

SirShagsalot

Portal Member
    December 17, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Home Country
    Hi,

Hmm.. I have configured my Thumbnailer plugin, but I cant see any folder.jpg is created anywhere? I guess the folder.jpg is created in same folder as the video file?
    And what if there is more than one video file in the folder?

I have been using it now a few days.

First, it creates folder.jpg only for single movie file per folder, even two AVI files and it does not.

Second, it creates moviefilename.jpg files in folders where more than one movie file exists.

MP uses this file as coverart (at least in X-Face & Monochrome).

I am not sure the "new/changed file" recognition works as intended for me.

Basically, if I rename or move an existing file that has a thumbnail file, the thumbnail changes on the spot.

If I copy new files over from my "utility" box, the thumbnails for these only show up after MP is restarted. On my system I restart MP every time it comes back from standby, so no big deal here.

On the first restart Thumbnailer spend a fair time nailing, even with a lot of quieting applied I could hear the HDD trash quite nicely (only noise making part in the MP PC).

Given that I have tons of Documentaries, some sports, loads of music vidz plus Doctor Who, Torchwood (can't get it in this corner of the world, about the only thing I miss from old blighty) and Startrek TOS complete on there plus loads of miscellanea in Movies this long first run seems reasonable.

Subsequent restarts are quite quick, as it usually only needs to add a few thumbnails.

Still, I'd like to know the setting makes Thumbnailer trigger a new thumbnail as soon as the file has finished copying.

Greez SSAL

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom