[solved] Trust RC not working with HID? Worked fine with MCE remote (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Not really sure how I can help my remote is working fine, except for me having to learn what buttons do what.

You could simply install the MP preview from that thread and use it as you would any official release and then give us some feedback as to how it works for you. If you want to go further you could try using the newly provided HID profile feature for your own needs. Again feedback is welcome. Be advised though that when using preview builds you are more likely to come across some issues than with release build. Testing is not for everyone, however I reckon that specific build should be just as stable MP 1.14.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Did it work for you? I deleted all layers and only used the "no condition".

Odd though TBH I'm not even sure what is a layer. Try do it as I did, it should work just fine. I'm pretty confident the issue you are facing is not specific to our HID handler.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    TBH I'm not even sure what is a layer.
    I think it's like a mode. In normal mode/layer, a button does one thing. However you can configure a button to switch modes/layers and change the function of all your buttons. So, you might have one default mode/layer for normal use, and another mode/layer with jump-to-root/title-menu buttons for DVD and Blu-Ray. It's similar to the button on a TV remote that enables it to swap between controlling the TV, DVD/BR player, AV receiver etc. Most people don't seem to use such advanced/complex configurations for MP...

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Did it work for you? I deleted all layers and only used the "no condition".
    My definition for the RECORD button is shown below. Note that this is for the "Centarea HID", which is used with the Ortek/Hama remote control. I have not actually used this definition with "General HID" or "Microsoft MCE", but I would expect them to be the same.

The screen shot shows all of the panels where RECORD is defined as DELETE. They all have the same button definition, but only the one for "Recorded TV" is shown. The definition for "No Condition" supplies the default that applies on all other panels.

define_RECORD_button_as_DELETE.jpg

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    TBH I'm not even sure what is a layer.
    I think it's like a mode.

Edit 2: This post is completely wrong. Please see later post from me. Apologies everyone!

I think of a layer as the remote-control equivalent of a shift key on the keyboard. For example, on the keyboard you can assign functions to keys such as F1 - F12, but you can also assign functions to SHIFT_F1 - SHIFT_F12, CTRL_F1 - CTRL_F12, and ALT_F1 - ALT_F12.

The problem with most remote controls is identifying a button to use as the SHIFT button. The Harmony 650 has an extra rocker button with UP and DOWN directions. But since most MP panels use other buttons for scrolling lists etc., this extra rocker button does not really have a function. Well, it could be used to define two extra shifts for the other buttons -- an UP shift and a DOWN shift.

What would you use it for? How about:

(1) GUIDE == TV Guide; SHIFT+GUIDE == Radio Guide
    (2) RED == Recorded TV; SHIFT+RED == Recorded Radio
    (3) MENU == Context Menu; SHIFT+MENU == Home Panel
    (4) EXIT == Return (Back); SHIFT+EXIT == Exit Menu

Edit: note that you would press the buttons sequentially, not simultaneously.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I see, so it's similar to a profile then. Good know, I might re-factor some of that then.
    In a way, yes... but it's dynamic at run-time. In other words, my understanding is that you assign a remote button to cycle through the layers. I thought that your profile configuration was fixed - that the only way to change profile is to change the setting (?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom