Tuning Data Correct But Displayed Program Is Not (1 Viewer)

EW Thomas

Portal Pro
January 5, 2016
Southwestern Virginia
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Okay. I'm still waiting for the log files etc. as previously requested...

OK Uploaded them just now. I have sent 2 one is when a Full Sat Scan was sone and the last was when a scan for a specific transponder was done. ALL work was on SES 1 @ 101°W Full Scan
No, I mean don't use them at all.
They're overrides. That means they will be used for all channels. Even the Ku band channels previously scanned in.
If you've used them to scan in any channels, I'd advise you to delete those channels and rescan using the appropriate "band" setting.

Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part. I have used the over rides previously to make sure the LNB LO was what I thought it was but after that it was always un ticked. Actually I haven't used any off set in the last 4 tries ..

I don't mean to labour the point unnecessarily, but from this comment I have the impression you still haven't understood what I'm trying to say. Please forgive the following additional clarification if you have already understood...

Let's say you're attempting to scan a single DVB-S transponder. You're copying the settings from your A3 as you said. I guess your A3 will describe such a transponder as "QPSK"... or maybe just "DVB-S", I'm not exactly sure. TV Server has a "QPSK" setting which looks like the obvious right choice. Point is: it's not. "QPSK" is the wrong choice for scanning DVB-S QPSK. As previously indicated, "not set" is the correct choice for DVB-S QPSK.

So to be clear: the point I'm trying to make is not to be careful that you don't use the same setting for all transponders. Rather, I'm trying to point out that:
  1. It's important to use correct settings.
  2. The correct settings aren't always the ones you think they'd be at first glance.
The reason I recommend full satellite scans is because that way you don't have to know/care about these idiosyncrasies.

True, only time I actually modify is when I have a "trusted or believed correct" source

The ONLY time I enter the full data including PIDS is when I am scanning for a specific tp. A "Full Satellite" scan never has anything altered by me

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks Wayne - now we're going to get somewhere! :)

First let's tackle the single transponder scan pictures and result...
    I note that Lyngsat does not list the specific transponder you're scanning. I'm going to assume that SatHint is right and the transponder does in fact exist with the parameters that they list.
    My guess is that the problem in this particular case was that the frequency you specified is incorrect. You specified 3726 kHz, when it should have been 3726000 kHz (which is equivalent to 3726 MHz). In other words: you're confusing the unit (kHz and MHz).

Now for the full scan...
    Aside from the first transponder (3710 V), I don't see any problems with TV Server locking on signal or finding C-band channels. However I do see two problems which will lead to channels being saved with incorrect tuning parameters.

Problem 1
    This problem comes from the fact that the satellite has both Ku and C band transponders but you can only set either a Ku or C band LNB type ("band") setting. In technical terms, when TV Server scans Ku channels with the C band setting, the intermediate frequency (transponder frequency minus LNB LOF) calculated by the driver will be invalid. Therefore the tuner will ignore the tune request. The end result is that TV Server will "re-find" the channels from the previously scanned C band transponder. For example...

[collapse]Scanning the last C band transponder:
    [2016-01-29 21:45:12,802] [Log ] [34 ] [INFO ] - dvbs: Scan:DVBS:tv: Freq:3974000 ONID:-1 TSID:-1 SID:-1 PMT:0xFFFFFFFF FTA:False LCN:10000 SymbolRate:5924 Modulation:ModNotSet Polarisation:LinearV InnerFecRate:Rate5_6 DisEqc:Level1BA band:CBand Pilot:NotSet RollOff:NotSet
    [2016-01-29 21:45:18,445] [Log ] [34 ] [INFO ] - Found: DVBS:tv:WEIGEL CHICAGO NOC MEtv1 Freq:3974000 ONID:1 TSID:0 SID:1 PMT:0x165 FTA:True LCN:10000 SymbolRate:5924 Modulation:ModNotSet Polarisation:LinearV InnerFecRate:Rate5_6 DisEqc:Level1BA band:CBand Pilot:NotSet RollOff:NotSet
    [2016-01-29 21:45:18,445] [Log ] [34 ] [INFO ] - Found: DVBS:tv:WEIGEL CHICAGO NOC MEtv2 Freq:3974000 ONID:1 TSID:0 SID:2 PMT:0x1C9 FTA:True LCN:10000 SymbolRate:5924 Modulation:ModNotSet Polarisation:LinearV InnerFecRate:Rate5_6 DisEqc:Level1BA band:CBand Pilot:NotSet RollOff:NotSet

...then the same channels are found for the next Ku band transponder:
    [2016-01-29 21:45:18,715] [Log ] [36 ] [INFO ] - dvbs: Scan:DVBS:tv: Freq:11705000 ONID:-1 TSID:-1 SID:-1 PMT:0xFFFFFFFF FTA:False LCN:10000 SymbolRate:3650 Modulation:ModQpsk Polarisation:LinearV InnerFecRate:Rate3_4 DisEqc:Level1BA band:CBand Pilot:Off RollOff:ThirtyFive
    [2016-01-29 21:45:23,977] [Log ] [36 ] [INFO ] - Found: DVBS:tv:WEIGEL CHICAGO NOC MEtv1 Freq:11705000 ONID:1 TSID:0 SID:1 PMT:0x165 FTA:True LCN:10000 SymbolRate:3650 Modulation:ModQpsk Polarisation:LinearV InnerFecRate:Rate3_4 DisEqc:Level1BA band:CBand Pilot:Off RollOff:ThirtyFive
    [2016-01-29 21:45:23,978] [Log ] [36 ] [INFO ] - Found: DVBS:tv:WEIGEL CHICAGO NOC MEtv2 Freq:11705000 ONID:1 TSID:0 SID:2 PMT:0x1C9 FTA:True LCN:10000 SymbolRate:3650 Modulation:ModQpsk Polarisation:LinearV InnerFecRate:Rate3_4 DisEqc:Level1BA band:CBand Pilot:Off RollOff:ThirtyFive[/collapse]

This problem will result in the following channels on that satellite being saved with the wrong parameters:
    • MEtv1
    • MEtv2
    • CBC HD
    • WWOR HD
    • FOX HD
    • CTV HD
    • WPIX HD
    • WGN HD
    • GVTV HD
    • GVMV HD
    • GVV HD
    • GVX HD
    • CITY
    • TV Ontario
    • BOUNCE
    • KTLA
    • PBS
    • PBS World
    (Note: I guess you only care about MEtv1 and MEtv2 because the others are all encrypted.)

You've obviously noticed this because I can see you trying unsuccessfully to tune MEtv2 immediately after the scan completes.

The simplest way to avoid this problem would be to create separate C and Ku band tuning parameter files for the satellites you receive. I can supply these files if you tell me which satellites you receive... or you can do it yourself by editing the tuning parameter files directly. Let me know which you prefer.

Doing it yourself is not a hard task. The tuning parameter files are simple XML (structured text files). You can find the files in "c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\TuningParameters". Note that Windows hides ProgramData by default. The simplest way to get there is simply to copy + paste the folder/path into the address bar in Windows Explorer. Satellite tuning details are within the "dvbs" sub-directory. You can open and edit the files in any text editor (notepad, wordpad etc.). The format should be fairly self explanatory, but don't hesitate to ask if you have questions.

Problem 2
    Some of the channels you're receiving have the same identifiers. In particular this affects... (surprise!) Heroes and Decades. Note the identical ONID, TSID and SID values:
    [2016-01-29 21:44:46,422] [Log ] [36 ] [INFO ] - Found: DVBS:tv:Weigel NOC Heroes Freq:3953000 ONID:1 TSID:1 SID:1 PMT:0x101 FTA:True LCN:10000 SymbolRate:2734 Modulation:ModNotSet Polarisation:LinearV InnerFecRate:Rate5_6 DisEqc:Level1BA band:CBand Pilot:NotSet RollOff:NotSet
    [2016-01-29 21:44:52,150] [Log ] [48 ] [INFO ] - Found: DVBS:tv:Weigel Chicago NOC Decades Freq:3957000 ONID:1 TSID:1 SID:1 PMT:0x22D FTA:True LCN:10000 SymbolRate:2734 Modulation:ModNotSet Polarisation:LinearV InnerFecRate:Rate5_6 DisEqc:Level1BA band:CBand Pilot:NotSet RollOff:NotSet

As a result, TV Server thinks these channels are one and the same. Obviously they're not, but TV Server can't tell that due to the way the broadcaster has chosen to label/identify them.

Unfortunately the only solution to this problem is to create/edit the channels manually. Thankfully there are only 2 of them, though I guess you may have more on other satellites.

EW Thomas

Portal Pro
    January 5, 2016
    Southwestern Virginia
    Home Country
    First let's tackle the single transponder scan pictures and result...
    I note that Lyngsat does not list the specific transponder you're scanning. I'm going to assume that SatHint is right and the transponder does in fact exist with the parameters that they list.
    My guess is that the problem in this particular case was that the frequency you specified is incorrect. You specified 3726 kHz, when it should have been 3726000 kHz (which is equivalent to 3726 MHz). In other words: you're confusing the unit (kHz and MHz).

372600 Hasn't been on air too long it is the HD Me Tv. I had tried entering the frequencies as you mentioned but it did not work..BUT that reason is explained below :)

Now for the full scan...
    Aside from the first transponder (3710 V), I don't see any problems with TV Server locking on signal or finding C-band channels. However I do see two problems which will lead to channels being saved with incorrect tuning parameters.

Problem 1
    This problem comes from the fact that the satellite has both Ku and C band transponders but you can only set either a Ku or C band LNB type ("band") setting. In technical terms, when TV Server scans Ku channels with the C band setting, the intermediate frequency (transponder frequency minus LNB LOF) calculated by the driver will be invalid. Therefore the tuner will ignore the tune request. The end result is that TV Server will "re-find" the channels from the previously scanned C band transponder.

That totally explains why the updated channels are sometimes incorrect and even to the point of a C band frequency being updated as KU Thanks!

(Note: I guess you only care about MEtv1 and MEtv2 because the others are all encrypted.)

You've obviously noticed this because I can see you trying unsuccessfully to tune MEtv2 immediately after the scan completes.

The simplest way to avoid this problem would be to create separate C and Ku band tuning parameter files for the satellites you receive. I can supply these files if you tell me which satellites you receive... or you can do it yourself by editing the tuning parameter files directly. Let me know which you prefer.

Doing it yourself is not a hard task. The tuning parameter files are simple XML (structured text files). You can find the files in "c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\TuningParameters". Note that Windows hides ProgramData by default. The simplest way to get there is simply to copy + paste the folder/path into the address bar in Windows Explorer. Satellite tuning details are within the "dvbs" sub-directory. You can open and edit the files in any text editor (notepad, wordpad etc.). The format should be fairly self explanatory, but don't hesitate to ask if you have questions.

This helps so very much! Guess I should have looked around with the file structure and may have located those files...but I know now :)

On file creation there are probably 5-7 additional birds to be broken down into specific tuning files. I shouldn't have any problems but if you would want to do 101°W as a template of sorts that would be great. This way I will have a reference in case I get side tracked while working as usual :)

Thanks for all the help! I knew it would be easily explained s it was just a matter of putting the scattered pieces together;

I greatly value your help and assistance with my problems THANKS!

EW Thomas

Portal Pro
    January 5, 2016
    Southwestern Virginia
    Home Country
    Problem 2
    Some of the channels you're receiving have the same identifiers. In particular this affects... (surprise!) Heroes and Decades. Note the identical ONID, TSID and SID values:
    [2016-01-29 21:44:46,422] [Log ] [36 ] [INFO ] - Found: DVBS:tv:Weigel NOC Heroes Freq:3953000 ONID:1 TSID:1 SID:1 PMT:0x101 FTA:True LCN:10000 SymbolRate:2734 Modulation:ModNotSet Polarisation:LinearV InnerFecRate:Rate5_6 DisEqc:Level1BA band:CBand Pilot:NotSet RollOff:NotSet
    [2016-01-29 21:44:52,150] [Log ] [48 ] [INFO ] - Found: DVBS:tv:Weigel Chicago NOC Decades Freq:3957000 ONID:1 TSID:1 SID:1 PMT:0x22D FTA:True LCN:10000 SymbolRate:2734 Modulation:ModNotSet Polarisation:LinearV InnerFecRate:Rate5_6 DisEqc:Level1BA band:CBand Pilot:NotSet RollOff:NotSet

As a result, TV Server thinks these channels are one and the same. Obviously they're not, but TV Server can't tell that due to the way the broadcaster has chosen to label/identify them.

Unfortunately the only solution to this problem is to create/edit the channels manually. Thankfully there are only 2 of them, though I guess you may have more on other satellites.

Just a couple of quick questions here.. On getting the PID data seems none of the sites have a full listing. Does TSReader give this info? It has been a long time since I used that program but I have the next to the highest in price paid version. Also where specifically is this data located that needs to be modified?

Found this location just fine and it appears I have only 2 KU transponder's data in the list and neither of them are in my use list. Just delete those two from that list and add back at a later date if needed?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Found this location just fine and it appears I have only 2 KU transponder's data in the list and neither of them are in my use list. Just delete those two from that list and add back at a later date if needed?
    Yes, you can do that if you want... or create completely new files. Whatever works easiest for you.
    The examples you requested are attached.
    Note that if you create a new satellite file, you need to edit "satellites.xml" (same folder) to get it to appear in TV Server Configuration. Again, it's just an XML/text file and the format should be obvious. By way of example, I added the following lines [below the original 101W entry] for the 2 example files that I attached:
    <satellite name="101.0°W C Band" url="http://install.team-mediaportal.com/tvsetup/DVBS/2590.ini"/>
    <satellite name="101.0°W Ku Band" url="http://install.team-mediaportal.com/tvsetup/DVBS/2590.ini"/>

In the URL field I reused the 101W URL. That way if/when you use the "update satellite list" function, the file will be filled with the 101W transponder list, and you only have to [again] remove the transponders that shouldn't be in the file. Saves you having to recreate the files from scratch.

On getting the PID data seems none of the sites have a full listing. Does TSReader give this info?
    I don't know if TsReader gives the info (never used it). However, all the information you need is available in the TV Server log file. For an example, refer to the section that I quoted in my previous reply. This thing:

Also where specifically is this data located that needs to be modified?
    Let's use the "Heroes"/"Decades" mix up as an example. I'm going to assume you have "Heroes" in your channel list. The instructions below describe how to fix it:
    1. Open TV Server Configuration.
    2. Assuming the channel you want to fix is a TV channel, go to the "TV Channels" section. Otherwise go to the "Radio Channels" section.
    3. Find the channel you need to fix. Using the search/filter function can make this easier.
    4. Select the channel and click "edit". You should now have a dialog similar to this.
    5. Select the tuning detail (there should only be one) in the bottom area/list and click "edit". You should now have a dialog similar to this.
    6. Check/correct the details as follows:
      • DiSEqC = the DiSEqC setting for the satellite that the channel is broadcast from (specific to your setup). For Heroes, the log entry above shows it as "DisEqc:Level1BA" so you select "Level 1 B/A".
      • Frequency = the transponder frequency (in kHz). For Heroes, the log entry above shows it as "Freq:3953000" so you enter 3953000.
      • Symbol rate = the transponder symbol rate (in ks/s). For Heroes, the log entry above shows it as "SymbolRate:2734" so you enter 2734.
      • Polarisation = the transponder polarisation. For Heroes, the log entry above shows it as "Polarisation:LinearV" so you select "Vertical". LinearH would be "Horizontal"; CircularL would be "Circular Left"; CircularR would be "Circular Right".
      • Modulation = the transponder modulation scheme. For Heroes, the log entry above shows it as "Modulation:ModNotSet" so you select "Not Set". For DVB-S2 transponders it may be ModQpsk or Mod8Psk, in which case you select "QPSK" and "8 PSK" respectively.
      • Inner FEC rate = the transponder FEC rate. For Heroes, the log entry above shows it as "InnerFecRate:Rate5_6" so you select "5/6". Other values should be similarly obvious.
      • Pilot = whether the transponder has pilot symbols (DVB-S2 only). For Heroes, the log entry above shows it as " Pilot:NotSet" so you select "Not Set" (ie. not applicable). For DVB-S2 transponders you may see On or Off, and the corresponding selection should be obvious.
      • Roll-off = the transponder roll-off factor (DVB-S2 only). For Heroes, the log entry above shows it as "RollOff:NotSet" so you select "Not Set" (ie. not applicable). For DVB-S2 transponders you may see Twenty, TwentyFive or ThirtyFive, and the corresponding selections are "0.20 Roll Off", "0.25 Roll Off", and "0.35 Roll Off".
      • Network ID = the channel's DVB original network ID (ONID). For Heroes, the log entry above shows it as "ONID:1" so you could enter 1. However, the whole reason that Heroes and Decades got mixed up in the first place is that they had the same ONID + TSID + SID values. So, it would actually be better to enter a different value. Without getting into all the nitty gritty technical details, I recommend you enter any value above 66000. 70000 would be perfect.
      • Transport ID = the channel's DVB/MPEG 2 transport stream ID (TSID). For Heroes, the log entry above shows it as "TSID:1" so you could enter 1. Same comment applies as for the network ID field, except in this case I recommend you enter a unique value for each channel you fix. You can start at 1 and work your way up. So, Heroes is 1, Decades is 2, etc.
      • Service ID = the channel's DVB service ID (SID) or MPEG 2 program number. For Heroes, the log entry above shows it as "SID:1" so you enter 1. Unlike the network and transport ID fields, you must enter the correct value.
      • PMT PID = the PID which carries the channel's MPEG 2 program map table (video, audio, subtitles detail etc.). For Heroes, the log entry above shows it as "PMT:0x101". The "0x" part means this number is hexadecimal format. You have to convert it to decimal format. In this example, you'd open a new Internet browser tab/window, go to Google and search for "0x101 to decimal". The answer comes back as 257 so you enter 257.
      • Provider = the channel's provider. For Heroes, the log entry above shows it as "Weigel NOC" (the part before the channel name). You can enter that... or anything else you like. I actually recommend you enter something like "Fixed" here. There's a provider column in the main channel list (ie. TV or Radio Channels section, first tab). Entering your own value will enable you to see at a glance which channels you've edited and which channels you haven't.
      • Free to air = tick if the channel is not encrypted. For Heroes, the log entry above shows it as "FTA:True", so you would tick the box.
    7. Click OK and OK again to save.

Now for "Decades", you need a new channel. There's one slight problem which is that TV Server doesn't allow you to set the "band" (LNB type) in the DVB-S/satellite channel create/edit dialog. So, to create/fix "Decades", you need to pick a channel which you scanned in with C-band settings. One of the encrypted ones that you're not going to use (eg. CBC HD) would be perfect for this. Then you just follow the same instructions as above to fix/change all the channel information over from [for example] CBC HD to Decades.

A warning: if/when you rescan, the rescan may re-add a broken version of Heroes/Decades, leaving you with a duplicate of either Heroes or Decades. Try not to confuse the two. If you follow the advice above for the provider field then you'll know which channel is the one you fixed. Rescanning won't touch your fixed channels as long as you follow my advice with regard to the network and transport ID fields.

I apologise for the length of this reply. It's really not as difficult as it might look. I just wanted to make sure I explained everything in full so you could understand easily. With that said, don't hesitate to ask if anything is not clear. :)

Attachments

• 101.0°W C-Ku split example.zip
      941 bytes

EW Thomas

Portal Pro
    January 5, 2016
    Southwestern Virginia
    Home Country
    Thank You so very much! Everything is explained just fine. Once I get the working knowledge of how things are designed to work normally I am fine.
    Hopefully tomorrow I can work on editing the files and then get things going. I have cleaned all the channels from yesterdays "clean install" of MP 1.13
    so we should be good to go!

Thanks for making the example files!

EW Thomas

Portal Pro
    January 5, 2016
    Southwestern Virginia
    Home Country
    Hello once again,
    I am happily able to just check in and not ask for any assistance :) After the assistance about the file edits and some knowledge about the inner working of MP I'm happy to say everything is working fine! Currently I am updating the guide manually but that's just a little renaming error with the xmltv file I haven't beat just yet.
    Otherwise I am loving every minute of operation. Hopefully I can share what I've learned with another newcomer that may be having a tough time in NA getting things to work.
    Thanks again to mm1352000 for taking time out of your schedule to school me on the operation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom