Netherlands
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
MKV 1080p problems

Hi all,

I followed the How to for playing mkv files and noticed the following:

The results:
720p .mkv files play fine
1080p .mkv files play fine if I don't have MP set to Full Screen, though I can maximize the screen.
If played in Full screen the File-list/Filmstrip returns as if nothing happens.

On pressing Alt-Enter to to return to Full Screen while an mkv movie is playing, the movie simply quits and the File-list/Filmstrip returns. If I play the 1080p files on the same system with Mediaplayer Classic, everything runs smoothly.

Any thougths?

Problem solved!!
It seems after a BIOS update the shared memory for my onboard NVIDIA graphics card was set to the lowest level possible (32MB). I changed it to 128MB and now everything runs smoothly!!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    On pressing Alt-Enter to to return to Full Screen while an mkv movie is playing

This is a known problem and has no hope of ever being fixed, stop video then resize, but as MP is not designed for this, for many not a problem.

MP2 does not have this limitation.

jimbojones

January 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    I found just installing the Combined Community Codec Pack allows me to play MKV files with no further configuration required. Admittedly, I haven't played a huge number of MKV files yet, but all have played successfully so far.

I know there are the purists out there that shun big codec packs, but I find them more useful than not.

Cheers,
    Jimbo

Ur[s]uS

Portal Member
    April 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    I found just installing the Combined Community Codec Pack allows me to play MKV files with no further configuration required. Admittedly, I haven't played a huge number of MKV files yet, but all have played successfully so far.

I know there are the purists out there that shun big codec packs, but I find them more useful than not.

Cheers,
    Jimbo

coreavc is a bit more efficient, i had acer idea 500 and it needed coreavc to handle 720p without drop frames
    i agree though cccp is the tidiest pack to use, it installs least amount of unnecessary dross

mugmoor

June 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I'm having an issue with mkv files. They play fine, but some of my files have multiple audio channels and by default, the spanish one is selected ( I want english ).

As well, my movies are all in their Original Aspect Ratio by default, and I want them to display in 16:9 instead. VLC Media player lets me do thse things with a few menu clicks, but setting them to default within the file requires that you recompile it, which simply isn't going to happen when these are HD Movies (some as big as 8 GB).

Does anyone know of a way to get MP to play these the way I want them? I don't care if I have to set manual settings for each movie when I first import them.

edit: managed to set the zoom settings so that my movies display correctly, but a few still give me errors with the languages.

bigflause

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    the sound is the same when I play .m2ts files. for example 300 bluray defaults to directors commentray. It is not a problem though. I use the mce remote and just toggle trough them with the blue botton. you can toggle aspect with one of them as well. This is the same for .mkv

Goose

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    I'm having an issue with mkv files. They play fine, but some of my files have multiple audio channels and by default, the spanish one is selected ( I want english ).

As well, my movies are all in their Original Aspect Ratio by default, and I want them to display in 16:9 instead. VLC Media player lets me do thse things with a few menu clicks, but setting them to default within the file requires that you recompile it, which simply isn't going to happen when these are HD Movies (some as big as 8 GB).

Does anyone know of a way to get MP to play these the way I want them? I don't care if I have to set manual settings for each movie when I first import them.

edit: managed to set the zoom settings so that my movies display correctly, but a few still give me errors with the languages.

I assume you use Haali's splitter. If that is correct you can fire up the settings and then click the options tab.

Expand languages and type eng in to audio language priority. This will mean that if the encoder has added the correct language tags, quite likely, then Haali will automatically pick english on playback.

Kian

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    i would suggest to edit the tutorial on first page. i did follow the instructions and were nearly getting mad that only a few mkv files were running. the solution: use the VSFilter in the CCC package. As i am using vista 32bit the VSfilter link leads to a vista incompatible version.

anything else in the tutorial is perfect: all my mkv files are running perfectly now.

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    After reading through this thread, I still can't figure out how to use hw. acc. for MKV files in MP...
    From what I understand VSfilter destroys the hw. acc.
    In fact, setting any postprocessing in MP will always kill hw. acc.

So what I'm looking for is just a way to play mkv files which either do or don't have subtitles in them, with hw accelaration.
    I don't care if I have to watch my x264 mkv movies without subtitles. I even always turn them off because who needs subtitles for an english spoken movie nowadays :D
    So, watching mkv movies with no subtitles, even when they are in there, should be a basic function in MP in my opinion. I'm not a programmer,but if other players can do this, so should MP...

Option 2 would be to always use hw acc with mkv files (ie. PowerDVD codec), but when this gives conflicts when you play certain mkv files, because of the postprocessing of subtitles that has to be done, it should choose the vsfilter way. This way I can still use hw acc most of the time, but for some files it just switches it off because vsfilter kicks in.
    People who don;t have a lightning fast pc just need hw acc sometimes and it would be a shame these people can't use MP because of this...
    I hope I've made it understandable what I mean and what my issue is.

EDIT: I found a solution for embedded mkv subs and the use of hw. acc.: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ck-type-srt-utf8-31833/index3.html#post286894

frank75

Portal Pro
    August 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Tried cccp with no luck.
    I have a movie where the sound was not synced with the movie when i played it on the old MP.
    When i upgraded to MP 1 rc3 this movie worked, but now there are a lot of movies i cant play???
    They are all mkv files.

Anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom