Tutorial: Playing .mkv-Files (1 Viewer)

Pastill

Portal Pro
September 2, 2007
Mplayer as external player ?

Goose (or someone else)

I also find Mplayer Classic Home Cinema the best.
Easy to install, good quality and most of all you get HA on .mkv files, means my HTPC is very quiet.

I tried to use the codecs/filter MPCVideoDec.ax in MP's player but then I can't get any subtitles with mkv-files.
To get subtitles I have to install and use VobSub or some other stuff and that means I'm loosing Hardware Acceleration and on 1080 video I then easily loose sync with video, audio and/or sub.

But in MPC HC I get subtitles ( if it's contained in the mkv-file) with HA and very good quality.

So I tried MPC HC as external player in MP.
Then MPEG2 files is running just as the MP player
BUT with mkv/.264 files means that MPC HC is opened in a new window and normal MP commands from my remote is not working.

What should I do to avoid MPC HC to open in a new window ?
Or at least react on normal MCE remote commands.

I'm still running MP 0.2.3.0 on XP

frank75

Portal Pro
August 6, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
I downloaded "x264 Video Codec rev. 1028" from free-codecs and then almost every movie worked again :).

But 2 movies will not start not at all in MP. I tried them on a popcorn machine and they worked, but i could not skip forward in time. Could this mean something?
And they play in vlc but the sound is stuttering.

Any idea anyone?

frank75

Portal Pro
August 6, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
Strange, mkvmerge stops almost at the finish.
Program not responding??

Downloaded mkvtoolnix today. What can i do to fix this :)

Edited.

I started it again and let it run some time, then it stopped and said everything ok and no errors reported.
But, the original file is 4,11gb, time 01:35:46 and the muxed file is 3,75gb, time 01:25:10.

What can be the problem now?

GarenT

Portal Member
August 4, 2009
Chicago
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have been chasing a problem with my .mkv's that even the OP's how-to did not fix, maybe you guys can help. I am using ffdshow, and even tried CoreAVC, but i am still getting a stuttering of my video stream at the beginning of a movie. If I Fast Forward 15 seconds it almost always fixes itself? what could be wrong. I am running Windows 7, is that the culprit?

Thanks,
Garen

EDIT: I FINALLY got it fixed!!!! Turns out it is a windows 7 issue. I finally was able to get graphedit to run during MP and see that it was not using what I had designated for my MKV's and learned that Win7 defaults to their video decoder no matter what you pick in MP. So I downloaded the Preferred Codec tweaker, and it worked right away!! No more video stuttering and frame dropping!!!!

WTBHelp

Portal Pro
October 25, 2009
Rename the file to .avi and open them in Mediaportal default player or run them from a shortcut to PDVD? Thats what I'm doing, far easier.
-FFDShow
-AC3 Filter

loadme

Portal Pro
January 7, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
hey ppl :)

mkv works fine for me since 2-3 months
installed:

win7 codec pack
win 7 64bit codec pack
2 month old version of ffdshow

it started to play every mkv i had listed
sometimes when i jumped to a special point, it showed up with some huge pixels until the next keyframe was found
i think everyone knows the mkv pixel blur thing

but now there s my problem

on some mkvs, maybe 20-30% it latley started to get the same blurry effect i talked about above maybe every 10-20 seconds while only watching
felt like it is losing key informations of the video stream

next thing i found out: this occured mostly in the first 10-20 minutes and often turned into a clear mkv file

i checked and compared the playback with VLC playback and within VLC everything is displayed normal

has anyone encountered a thing like this?
has anyone an idea about this?

would help me very very much

edit:
using mediaportal: 1.0.4.23491
using moving pictures for playback

media portal configuration is set to:
videos->player:
mpeg-2: ffdshow video decoder
h.264: coreAVC video decoder
mpeg/ac3 audio decoder: ffdshow audio decoder
AAC: ffdshow audio decoder
audio renderer: direct sound