TV Client - "Unable to detect host" over VPN (2 Viewers)

DragonQ

Portal Pro
August 30, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I can't seem to connect to my MP TV Server at home from work when connected via a VPN. It definitely used to work but I haven't used it in months so loads of things could've changed since then (it was probably MP 1.2.3).

Basically I have a VPN connection set up on my Windows Server 2012 machine at home, and can connect via L2TP from my work laptop. I can ping my server using both its static IP and hostname, I can browse shares on the machine and watch TV files that are currently recording (for example). However, if I open MP Config and type either the hostname or IP address of my server into the "TV Client" tab and click "Test Connection", it just says "Unable to detect host".

Since ping works I'm not sure what the problem can be. The logs are useless - the only relevant line is:

Code:
"2013-06-13 14:34:04.025996 [Debug][Config Main(1)]: VerifyHostname: unable to detect host "hda"

Nothing appears in the logs of the TV Server. All of my machines are running the Custom Data Grabber build of 1.3.0.

Last edited:

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,
    You have configured the server in the clientconfig with it's hostname?
    Have you done the oing with IP or hostname?

Have you tried to do all with the IP-address

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Hello,
    You have configured the server in the clientconfig with it's hostname?
    Have you done the oing with IP or hostname?

Have you tried to do all with the IP-address
    I'm pretty sure I answered all of those questions in the first post, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You are right ;-) I have focused to much to the error out of the log while reading.

Is your source IP out of the same network as it is for your clients at home? If not there could be an issue with the windows firewall which could block some ports then.

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Is your source IP out of the same network as it is for your clients at home? If not there could be an issue with the windows firewall which could block some ports then.
    I'm not sure what you mean. I'm using the same IP (or hostname) for the server as I use for my clients at home, and the same IP (or hostname) that works when browsing shares.

I did look at the Firewall and allowed MP Config but it made no difference.

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When you have a look at your clients at home they all will have an IP of of a certain range: for example 192.168.0.xxx.
    Is the IP of your client out of the same range when you are connecting it via VPN?

Have you tried to switch of the firewall?

If you IP is out of the same range and you have tried with disabled firewall, than I don't have any more ideas.
    Then You should ask @michael_t. He made some changes within this part of the configuration. Perhaps he has an idea.

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When you have a look at your clients at home they all will have an IP of of a certain range: for example 192.168.0.xxx.
    Is the IP of your client out of the same range when you are connecting it via VPN?

If you IP is out of the same range and you have tried with disabled firewall, than I don't have any more ideas.
    Then You should ask @michael_t. He made some changes within this part of the configuration. Perhaps he has an idea.
    I just tested the configuration with a connection to a remote tv server via VPN and it works for me. So must be a networking problem...

Michael

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France

Attachments

• TvControl_TvPlugin_v6.zip
      199.9 KB

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country

Ah, I see what you mean now. My clients at home are all 192.168.0.90-110. My server is set to assign VPN clients 192.168.1.11-20.

No I could try that but obviously I cannot control the work firewall, only the one on my client.

I have reworks the detection of remote (because it get give sometimes false information) but in your case, it's maybe a firewall issue or something (31456 port shoudl be open)
    I'm pretty sure I ran the standard MP batch file to open the correct ports on all of my machines. However, maybe I need to forward port 31456 on my router to my server? Is it TCP or UDP?

Last edited:

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That is a different source network for your server. You should have a look to the firewall settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom