TV Client - "Unable to detect host" over VPN (3 Viewers)

DragonQ

Portal Pro
August 30, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
If you do a cmd : telnet ipofyourserver 31456 does it work ?
Update from me: yes, I can telnet to my server from work via the VPN. Well, I assume I can; it doesn't crash, I get a blank command prompt after running telnet.

So if telnet works and ping works, why on Earth is MP Config not able to see the server?

EDIT: Manually entering my server's hostname under TVService -> Hostname in MediaPortal.xml works! So it's obviously just a problem with MP Config.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Are you able to install Wireshark and capture what happens when you test the connection?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Very.
    Install takes only a minute.
    Run it. Select network interface using the left-most button, then start capture. You should see packets added to the list in the top half of the interface as network activity on the interface occurs. Once you've done the test, click the stop button (red icon). Save to file, zip and attach. Please try to keep the file size to a minimum so it is easy to identify the appropriate network traffic. You can stop and restart the capture as many times as you like.

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    OK I started a capture, pressed "Test Connection", then stopped it. However, when I look through the results I see no mention of either my server's hostname or IP address.

Attachments

• Test Connection.zip
      4.7 KB
    Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeah, I don't see anything in that capture.
    I tried the same test on my local PC and I don't see the packets there either, but I think that is because the packets are on the 127.0.0.1 interface. I've got a relatively old version of Wireshark here so I'll upgrade, try again and report back...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmm, no good.
    I've checked the code and it looks like it just attempts to open a connection to port 31456 on the remote host. Very straightforward. I assume packets would have to be sent in order to open a connection, but maybe not (can anybody else confirm?).

This sure is a puzzler.

Are you able to confirm the same behaviour as Subigo - if you change the streaming server IP address, does it start to work?

mm

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    When i have work on the branch about detection of tvservice, i have see something strange about taking ipv6 and not ipv4 adress and then it failed somehow but i have do the test on the branch where i have start to implement the new code.

It seems nobody try the supplied bin :) (just to know if it's the same) or maybe i didn't see answer about it :)

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ...I've checked the code and it looks like it just attempts to open a connection to port 31456 on the remote host. Very straightforward. I assume packets would have to be sent in order to open a connection, but maybe not (can anybody else confirm?).
    To open a tcp port connection IP packets do have to be sent. So if you do not watch any, there is no connection opening at all. Did you enter the IP address of the tv server or the server name? In the latter case there must be a name resolution before the TCP connection can be opened. This can be done either by DNS lookup or by netbios (which is working only in a local network and not on a vpn connection). The name resolution should be visible in the wireshark logs.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom