TV Client - "Unable to detect host" over VPN (1 Viewer)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    On MP2 (with 1.3.0)
    also 2 NIC's
    LAN = 192.168.254.35
    IPTV = 10.X.X.X
    When i connect to MP2 over VPN it creates a virtual nic with 192.168.254.36 and on my client i get 192.168.254.37 so far its the same.
    However when i connect to the TV server with IP 192.168.254.35 it does not work. I get "unable to detect host "tv-server" or 192.168.254.35"
    The only way i can connect to the TV services is to login to the TV server config and change the IP adress for streaming to 192.168.254.36, restart tvservice and then it works.

This is not really a solution though since the .36 address disappears as soon as i logoff the vpn. And i would have to shift around the local clients settings constantly.

Does the above make any sense ? :)

Regards,

Subi.

Hi Subi,

if you ping "tv-server" it return 192.168.254.35 or .36 (from your client ?)
    If you try to add in your 'host' files :
    192.168.254.35 tv-server does it change anything ?

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Ok :)

You are on 1.3.0 :) so i understand now why you can't test but you see i have try :)
    Yeah, sorry if I didn't make that clear.

I should read first first again but i was thinking data grabber was based on 1.4.0 too now.
    Nope. Sadly, DJBlu has said he won't be making any more builds (although he later said he might make "final" builds if he has time). Astonishing to me that his work isn't part of the main MediaPortal trunk yet.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MediaPortal's TSReader obviously doesn't play nice with VPNs - even with 15-20 Mbps of bandwidth, a 3-4 Mbps SD channel doesn't play without skips and errors in MediaPortal, but it works fine when the TS file is played directly using MPC-HC.
    The problem is probably the latency, not the bandwidth.

Astonishing to me that his work isn't part of the main MediaPortal trunk yet.
    That is entirely down to him so if you're curious, ask him. My understanding is he never got to the end of his roadmap. Integrating is one of the last items on that list.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    MediaPortal's TSReader obviously doesn't play nice with VPNs - even with 15-20 Mbps of bandwidth, a 3-4 Mbps SD channel doesn't play without skips and errors in MediaPortal, but it works fine when the TS file is played directly using MPC-HC.

Are you using RTSP ?

Using the 'UNC paths' option with MP is the equivalent to 'playing the TS file' in MPC-HC

The latest dev versions of TsReader.ax (and the version included in MP 1.4.0) allow adjustment of the initial buffering time :

New feature: Registry key added to adjust data buffering time - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Team MediaPortal\TsReader, set "BufferingDelayInMilliSeconds" to a (decimal) value in milliseconds (range is 0 to 2000, default is 0). Note - this will add delay to live TV channel changes since it needs to build up the buffer before play starts.

....from https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/experimental-tsreader-development.102693/#post-811296

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    Using the 'UNC paths' option with MP is the equivalent to 'playing the TS file' in MPC-HC The latest dev versions of TsReader.ax (and the version included in MP 1.4.0) allow adjustment of the initial buffering time :
    Nice, that seems to have done the trick with SD channels.

Shame HD channels never work even with double the average bit rate available, not sure why that is...maybe error correction takes up a lot of the bandwidth, I dunno. For a file with a bit rate of ~9 Mbps, Task Manager shows 15+ Mbps being used constantly, resulting in constant drop-outs.

Subigo

Portal Member
    November 6, 2008
    Hi Subi,

if you ping "tv-server" it return 192.168.254.35 or .36 (from your client ?)
    If you try to add in your 'host' files :
    192.168.254.35 tv-server does it change anything ?

Hi Sebastiii,

Thanks for your reply, i have already added 192.168.254.35 to my hosts file, i can then ping tv-server but MP still does not work.

Regards,

Subi

Subigo

Portal Member
    November 6, 2008
    Nice, that seems to have done the trick with SD channels.

Shame HD channels never work even with double the average bit rate available, not sure why that is...maybe error correction takes up a lot of the bandwidth, I dunno. For a file with a bit rate of ~9 Mbps, Task Manager shows 15+ Mbps being used constantly, resulting in constant drop-outs.

I have a 1.2x installation at my sisters, she has fiber 100/100 and i have cable 60/6 but i never had trouble streaming hd channels. Might be the overkill on upstream from my sister though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom