Tv "No Input" (1 Viewer)

Timberwolf99

Portal Pro
November 20, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi guys hope you can help, this is very important do the WAF. Every time I switch on the tv I get a "No Input" and have to press a button on the remote to bring up the GUI. Is there a setting to stop this happening? Yesterday the wife practically told me to get rid of the pc as she wasn't able to get it working, this was the very first thing she mentioned as well as other stuff that I'm trying to deal with to maybe save the project from the bin. So there will be more questions coming.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    My guess is that either or both the TV and/or PC are power-saving/screen-saving; nothing to do with MediaPortal. If I'm right, you could change the behaviour by disabling the screensaver, screen blanking and standby/hibernate on the PC. All of those are Windows settings.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You need to give us a lot more information, like screensaver settings and sleep/wake settings.

It's likely that either the PC is waking up in 'away mode' e.g. for a recording (which means it pretends it's not on - display is not driven), or Windows power settings/screensaver is set up to turn the display off. Remote control input is 'user input' so Windows comes 'alive' properly and drives the screen.

Timberwolf99

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanx for the prompt response guys, I tried remoting into the pc last night to check those settings but could not access them (greyedout), I thought mediaportal overrides those settings if you don't have powerscheduler active and thereby keeping the pc awake.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I tried remoting into the pc last night to check those settings but could not access them (greyedout)
    My guess is they were disabled ("greyed out") precisely because you were trying to check the settings via remote access.

I thought mediaportal overrides those settings if you don't have powerscheduler active and thereby keeping the pc awake.
    You'd be mistake.
    PowerScheduler only prevents standby [when appropriate]. That's it. No overriding.

Timberwolf99

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I will probably get a chance to look at this sometime tomorrow I'll let you know how I get on.

So I think the pc is staying awake, just that the gpu is not outputting anything, so would you recommend changing the power options or forcing the gpu to stay active.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So I think the pc is staying awake, just that the gpu is not outputting anything, so would you recommend changing the power options or forcing the gpu to stay active.
    Yeah, disable screensaver and screen blanking in Windows power options.
    MediaPortal also has a separate screen-saver/blanking setting (idle timer), so make sure you disable that too:
    Screensaver - MediaPortal 1 - MediaPortal Wiki

Timberwolf99

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    What I did was disable all options in windows power options, and enabled the timeout to run the tv service. Haven't turned the timing belt off for an extended period of time yet so hopefully I works.

Thank you so much for the pointers and the direction of where my understanding was wrong.

Probably one last post in this topic to just let people know how it went.

Timberwolf99

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Ok all seems good now except for one thing I've set the screen saver in mpo for tv for WAF, when we switch the tv on in the morning I have to turn off tv and turn it back on or the picture is stuttery 1 frame a second at a guess. Probably because of a full time shift buffer but it shouldn't be doing this, right?

Let me know if and what logs you'll need.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ok all seems good now except for one thing I've set the screen saver in mpo for tv for WAF
    Okay... though I note that I was recommending to disable that, not enable it.

when we switch the tv on in the morning I have to turn off tv and turn it back on or the picture is stuttery 1 frame a second at a guess. Probably because of a full time shift buffer but it shouldn't be doing this, right?
    Ummm... :)
    Sorry, I can't visualise/imagine what you're describing when you say the picture is stuttery... but I'm almost certain that whatever it is would have nothing to do with a full time shift buffer.

Let me know if and what logs you'll need.
    Yes, log files would be needed... and as always, please use the Watchdog tool to collect them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom