TV server doesn't autostart after PC is started up (1 Viewer)

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    First appologies to Grubi for not retesting your posted files .

Second this reg adjustment works very well on the w2ksp4 systems I have tried it on so far (VISTA hasn't been a problem for me in this respect)

The reg aadjustment is OS global so isn't going to suffer under the vagaries of the TVservice SVN code changes that may/may not occur in the future and so is an excellent 'fix'.

One possitive side effect is that the OS starts up much quicker, so it is a double plus success.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The changes to the sources I posted on top of this page should also solve this problem.
    Seems that nobody has incorporated it into release svn.
    grubi

The changes are in SVN now - just as a final test before I remove that useless priority setting completely.

So please tell us if grubi's solution does work for you all.

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    The TVSERVICE priority setting does help on low powered systems where multiple streams are recording and you have a local client timeshifting.

It helps to reduce drop outs missed frame error in the resulting recorded files ie the digital rubbish that appears when using the TSREADER and causes jumps with the older reader. on playback.

I hope you don't remove it or maybe I have the wrong idea of which priority setting you are refering to.

I have the TVSERVICE set to 'realtime'.

When the code is in the SVN i'll report back , I'll keep a test system without the reg adjustment for this.

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    Tried SVN 16420 on a w2ksp4 instal and the service still fails to start at boot with the same timeout error.

Treied the above reg entry as with other systems (set to 60000) and no problems at boot for service.

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    First appologies to Grubi for not retesting your posted files .

Second this reg adjustment works very well on the w2ksp4 systems I have tried it on so far (VISTA hasn't been a problem for me in this respect)

The reg aadjustment is OS global so isn't going to suffer under the vagaries of the TVservice SVN code changes that may/may not occur in the future and so is an excellent 'fix'.

One possitive side effect is that the OS starts up much quicker, so it is a double plus success.

Where does this reg setting speeds OS startup?
    It simply increases timeout SCM is waiting for service startup.

grubi.

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    It was purely a subjective observation of my particular test systems, I should have been clearer in my prose.

As for the results it does make a measurable difference to desktop on these slow systems (dual p3 700 and dual p3 1ghz ) of about 3-5 seconds.

As to why it does (and I know it shouldn't realy make a difference) I couldn't give you an answer there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom