TV Service taking long while to shutdown, delaying Windows shutdown/reboot (1 Viewer)

Budje

Portal Member
January 6, 2011
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Just installed Mediaportal 1.4 and this was the only problem so far I couldn't resolve :)
I'll follow this topic.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Problem is we don't even no yet if it is a bug.
    But what is being confirmed then? I've read multiple reports and confirms on this issue.
    Since some users also seem to have issues while updating, we suggest to manually stop the TVService. Maybe this is also caused by the same problem?

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Issue appears after fixing this: https://issues.team-mediaportal.com/browse/MP1-3172
    Commit: https://github.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-1/commit/62dda4359a776f45dfeea70e71f160c06babcd98

This obviously fixed something but causes a longer shutdown time.
    This is correct. The MP1-3172 fix makes TVService react on the Windows pre-shutdown message and let it stop the TVController and all TVServer plugins cleanly. Before they were killed by the Windows Service Manager which led to exceptions and error messages in the logs. But: Though the TVService shuts down cleanly now (seen from MP's view), Windows does not notice that the TVService has been stopped and therefore now waits for 10 seconds to get a stop notification (gives an error in the System event log) and only then continues its shutdown progress. I have found no way so far how to signal Windows that the TVService has been stopped from .NET managed code.
    So the options are:
    - Revert the MP1-3172 fix and ignore the pre-shutdown message (will bring back exceptions and error logs but shuts down 10 sec faster)
    - Keep everything as it is now (slower shutdown and error in System event log)
    - Find a way to stop TVService cleanly and under control of the Windows Service manager
    The latter should be achieved, so @Developers who can help?

Michael

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    TNX for the explanation Michael ;)

Info: The tags aren't working at the moment, so if you need developers, best to tag them with their username(s)

ed76

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    my opinion for mp 1.5 final: to wait every evening sometimes longer to shut down the system than start the whole system is much more annoying than some faulty logs...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom