TVService (EPG grabbing when idle) preventing Standby (1 Viewer)

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi, I am also having this problem. I am happy to post logs or give system info if this will help to work out the fix. In the meantime, if I manually put the HTPC to sleep when it's not in use, will this have any detrimental effect to it waking appropriately when needed (to do scheduled recordings, get DVB-EPG at midnight every day, or wake to serve a client PC)? Thanks.

lisa

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I see this bug hasn't been assigned to be fixed since it was added to mantis in March. I don't really agree that it's a "minor" bug either, as it means the user has to disable EPG grabbing whilst idle if they want their PC to go to standby and doing that is likely to lead to missing data in the EPG so they won't be able to see what's on.

Any chance of someone fixing this soon?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    I see this bug hasn't been assigned to be fixed since it was added to mantis in March. I don't really agree that it's a "minor" bug either, as it means the user has to disable EPG grabbing whilst idle if they want their PC to go to standby and doing that is likely to lead to missing data in the EPG so they won't be able to see what's on.

Any chance of someone fixing this soon?

Perhaps you could fix it?

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    @doveman

Did I understand correctly from the logs that you are not using TV-Server PowerScheduler plugin?

EDIT: Would be easier to investigate without the 3rd party stuff...

Last edited:

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    What is your EPG refresh setting? I have mine set to 1440 minutes (24 hours). Once per day is enough, and you'd have to be unlucky to have sleep conflict with that too much.

Look at it from our point of view.

If you have configured your TV server to go to sleep when it is idle, and to grab the EPG data every 4 hours, which should take priority? If sleep takes priority, then you would now be complaining that it didn't grab the EPG.

To be honest, even though it is clear that EPG grabbing is preventing sleep, I am becoming less convinced that this is a bug.

Now, if it EPG grabbing is happening more often than scheduled, and preventing sleep mode as a result, THAT would be a bug.

Mark

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    What is your EPG refresh setting? I have mine set to 1440 minutes (24 hours). Once per day is enough, and you'd have to be unlucky to have sleep conflict with that too much.

I never changed it, so I presume the default was the same as it is now in 1.3A, 240mins. My PC was unable to go to sleep after the set time (30mins I think I had it set to, maybe an hour) because this bug leaves [DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller hung, preventing standby.[DOUBLEPOST=1343066912][/DOUBLEPOST]
    @doveman

Did I understand correctly from the logs that you are not using TV-Server PowerScheduler plugin?

EDIT: Would be easier to investigate without the 3rd party stuff...

I do normally use PS++ (I couldn't say now what I was using when I made those logs back in January) so if the logs show that, it would make sense.

I'd be happy to switch back to normal PowerScheduler to do some tests if you'd like.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I've been using the standard PowerScheduler function from the start (about 4 years now?). I've had i running on single-seat & multi-seat setups, with the options enabled:
    • EPG grabbing while idle (default settings)
    • Always try to fill holes
    • Always try to update excisting entries
    and never had issues...

Also the 4TR forum thread reports that, as soon as the 4TR core services are disabled, the problem is gone.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Also the 4TR forum thread reports that, as soon as the 4TR core services are disabled, the problem is gone.

Hi HomeY

Good to know it's working for some people.

I don't use 4TR by the way.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi HomeY

Good to know it's working for some people.

I don't use 4TR by the way.

My bad, made the assumption you did because of the link in the OP.

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I can take a look if you put everything to debug logging / extensive logging (I think extensive logging is specially for power stuff in related plugins), disable all 3rd party stuff, reproduce the problem and post all logs.

It would be nice to know all the power-related settings too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom