Tools and other software Unable to install MP1 due to problems with my SQL 5.6, looking for alternative suggestions (1 Viewer)

GlamRockCowboy

Portal Pro
October 25, 2015
Fairview, TN (ca. 20 mi. SSW of Nashville)
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
For the past week or 10 days, I have been TRYING--and FAILING!--to install either MP 1.14.0 or MP 2. When trying to install MP 1.14.0, I invariably encounter one of two errors connected with mySQL 5.6: Either mySQL 5.6 refuses to install at all, or, if it does install, the main installation program fails to establish any connection what ever with the TV Server. To make a long story short, I am giving up on MP 1.14.0, and concentrating on MP2. If that also fails, I will have to try Silicondust's own proprietary program (still under development) or switch to Mythbuntu. If anyone has any alternatives to offer, I'd be delighted to hear them!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

First, I'm truly sorry that you've had so much trouble.

Looking at your earlier posts I see you have an HDHR PRIME. I'm familiar with CableCARD tuners because I added support for them in MP1. I'd like to be able to help you, however I'm not able to help with MP2. Based on what you said about giving up on MP 1.14, all I can do is move this thread to a more appropriate part of the forum (this section of the forum is for getting help with MP1).

Please confirm.

GlamRockCowboy

Portal Pro
    October 25, 2015
    Home Country
    I do indeed confirm. I'm sorry as well, but unfortunately this problem has gotten to be more than I can handle at this point in time. If someone manages to come up with a solution, I would be delighted to hear it! Many thanks for getting back to me so promptly.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I do indeed confirm.
    Okay, moved thread.

...unfortunately this problem has gotten to be more than I can handle at this point in time. If someone manages to come up with a solution, I would be delighted to hear it!
    I would have been (and still am) happy to help with your MP1 MySQL/install problems if you opted to ask for help with them like you did for the MP2 problems. Without specific details it's simply not possible to come up with a solution.

Anyway, good luck. :)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If someone manages to come up with a solution, I would be delighted to hear it!
    Hi,

As mm pointed out, it is difficult to give precise instrucitons what to do. One thing that would help is to completely clean your installation, i.e. uninstall both MediaPortal and MySQL.

So open an administrative command window and enter
    net stop MySQL
    sc delete MySQL
    Uninstall MySQL and MediaPortal from the Windows control panel ("Software")
    Open the Explorer and delete the following directories:
    • C:\Program Files\MySQL
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\MySQL
    • C:\ProgramData\MySQL
    and if exists, delete also​
    • C:\Users\[Your User-Name]\AppData\Roaming\MySQL
    For the latter you will need to set your explorer display options to show hidden and system files.

Then reboot and run the MP installer again.

GlamRockCowboy

Portal Pro
    October 25, 2015
    Home Country
    I am still encountering problems with MP 2 and Schedules Direct, so I've decided to try working with MP 1.14.0 again. I had previously removed both MP and mySQL 5.6. When I attempted the installation this time around, I got an error message reading something on the order of "stop service exception." Although the remainder of MP appeared to install correctly, I did not find any logs. How should I proceed?

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I remember that (for MP1 at least) sometimes we need to delete also some mySQL stuff from programdata etc to be able to reinstall it correctly.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @GlamRockCowboy
    It's unfortunate that I'm leaving home in ~4 hours and won't have time/ability to respond to further updates for the next 2 days. Let's see what we can do...

I had previously removed both MP and mySQL 5.6.
    When you say that you removed MP, did you also remove or at least stop the MP2 Server service? (You should have.)
    ...and when you say that you removed MySQL, did you follow HTPCSourcer's instructions for complete removal? (You should have.)

When I attempted the installation this time around, I got an error message reading something on the order of "stop service exception." Although the remainder of MP appeared to install correctly, I did not find any logs. How should I proceed?
    In short: my answer to your question is "I'm not sure" because the details you've given about the error message are vague. A screenshot would have been ideal. Right now I'm wondering:
    • ...which service the error message was referring to. (Could have been MySQL, TV Server, or some other irrelevant service.)
    • ...what the full message was.
    • ...when (what stage of installation) the message appeared.
    Without answers to those wonderings, it's difficult to know if it's okay to proceed.

Some "random" questions...
    • Did/do you run the MP1 installer with administrative privileges (right click -> run as admin)? (You should.)
    • Do you have any security software - particularly network/internet security software - installed/running on this system? (If yes, please list it.)
    • Are you able to open TV Server Configuration? (If not, the installation has failed in some way and you need to start over.)
    [edit: Please make sure you answer all questions.]

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Some last pieces of advice before I sign out...

There are at least 2 patches and a number of settings tweaks which are at least highly recommended if not absolutely necessary for getting a reliable MP1 CableCARD tuner setup. Even some of the things that you might think are obvious - for example, using the SchedulesDirect plugin to pull in SD guide data - are not. In the guide data example: the SD plugin can be used, but for CableCARD tuners I'd actually recommend a different way of pulling in the guide data which doesn't involve that plugin.

Unfortunately I'm not able to supply all the details for these things at present due to time constraints. The point of saying this in advance is that I don't want to return in 2 days time to find that you have changed your mind again because you got stuck or it got too hard. It's almost a certainty that you'll need help at some point. If you can get to the stage where you have a successful install by the time I get back then that would be a good achievement. Let's take our time and get this right. Please stop and ask for help if you get stuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom