[TV] Unable to record/watch consecutive shows on the same channel (2 Viewers)

kwwk

February 5, 2010
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I'm having the same problem, with two cards; one idle and one recording, MP keeps trying to tune on the active card and does not touch the idle one.

(Win 7, 64 bit, asking for it, right? :))

A feature request from me would be to make MP switch over to the idle card if tuning on the selected one fails.

bnsaflsujt

Portal Pro
January 12, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Not quite the same problem that we are talking about here. This problem is one where a tuner will not tune the same channel 2 times in a row, without a jump to an intermediary first... Sadly, I don't know if I am one of the select few that is having this problem, or if most people are just ignoring this thread...

Anyways, I have also noticed what you are talking about, however, I think that if you use the built in TV engine, it wouldn't be a problem. However, I don't know, because I use 4TR to schedule my recordings, and it locks onto a card that it WANTS to use, and will not try others.

BTW, welcome to the forums kwwk!

Sincerely,
James

kwwk

February 5, 2010
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Okay, maybe not exactly the same, after doing a bit more testing it seems to require overlapping pre/postrecord, otherwise it works. (I set two consecutive programs to record on the same channel, and the second one fails. )

I'll work on creating a few test cases this weekend, and see what happens.

kkozma

Portal Pro
February 16, 2009
Dayton, OH
Home Country
Not quite the same problem that we are talking about here. This problem is one where a tuner will not tune the same channel 2 times in a row, without a jump to an intermediary first... Sadly, I don't know if I am one of the select few that is having this problem, or if most people are just ignoring this thread...

Anyways, I have also noticed what you are talking about, however, I think that if you use the built in TV engine, it wouldn't be a problem. However, I don't know, because I use 4TR to schedule my recordings, and it locks onto a card that it WANTS to use, and will not try others.

BTW, welcome to the forums kwwk!

Sincerely,
James

That's the same problem I had... Unfortuneately, it seems as if the developers just flat out don't care about this. There's at least three threads on the matter and not a single peep from a dev at all about it. I got lucky and was able to change the provider of my card and it worked, but obviously that's not the case for everyone else.

I understand the devs are busy and that this is free software and you get what you pay for, but an acknowledgement of the problem would be nice. Otherwise people are just going to give up and go somewhere else.

bnsaflsujt

Portal Pro
January 12, 2010
Home Country
Yeah, I know what you mean... I would like a fix now, but I am realistic. I would be happy as a clam if I just got a simple "Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will look into it and get back to you." so that I atleast know that someone knows...

I only had the problem with ATSC, and as I had said was unable to change my provider. I finally gave up my dream of digital cable, and resorted back to NTSC for now, which seems to work without a problem.

BTW, Happy one year anniversary on the forums kkozma! 11 more days... Not bad!

Sincerely,
James

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

The team is looking into these issues. These problems are always complicated to solve, and with limited time and resources, and not actually knowing whether the problem is due to mediaportal, tuner drivers, or some other factor, there is no way anyone can give a definite time for this to be fixed. I don't know if anyone on the team is able to reproduce the problem.

Mark

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Sorry to reply to myself so many times, but I figured I would post an update. I formatted and did a clean install of Vista (in place of Windows 7) and did not install the TV pack and everything is now working. My feeling is that this is still a Vista TV Pack/Windows 7 issue with ATSC cards.

Hi,

To follow up on my earlier post, I have a recollection that the TV pack for Vista is not supported. Certainly this has never been released as a patch for end-users through Windows Update. This is probably why it is not mentioned in our documentation. I am currently trying to get clarification of this issue.

In order that we can close this issue, is anyone running a clean install of XP, Vista or Windows 7, with a clean install of MediaPortal and no plugins having this problem?

Best wishes,

Mark

jaymode

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2008
    Home Country
    Sorry to reply to myself so many times, but I figured I would post an update. I formatted and did a clean install of Vista (in place of Windows 7) and did not install the TV pack and everything is now working. My feeling is that this is still a Vista TV Pack/Windows 7 issue with ATSC cards.

Hi,

To follow up on my earlier post, I have a recollection that the TV pack for Vista is not supported. Certainly this has never been released as a patch for end-users through Windows Update. This is probably why it is not mentioned in our documentation. I am currently trying to get clarification of this issue.

In order that we can close this issue, is anyone running a clean install of XP, Vista or Windows 7, with a clean install of MediaPortal and no plugins having this problem?

Best wishes,

Mark

I did a clean install of Windows 7 with MediaPortal 1.1.0 Beta with SVN from Jan 8, 2010 and had this problem. No plugins installed. At first I thought I did something wrong, so I formatted and reinstalled everything and the same issue exists with Windows 7.

I then did a clean install of Vista with SP2 (No TV Pack) and MediaPortal 1.1.0 Beta SVN from Jan 8, 2010 and did not have the tuning problem; no plugins installed.

Note: All drivers were the latest versions and supported both Vista and Windows 7.

These results and the post by tourettes (i have linked to that thread multiple times in this thread) stating that with Vista TV Pack and Windows 7, Microsoft changed the network provider leads me to believe that these tuning issues are directly related to the changes in the network provider.

kkozma

Portal Pro
    February 16, 2009
    Dayton, OH
    Home Country

Best wishes,

Mark

Windows 7, absolutely! My logs from a 100% fresh install of Win7 and MP with zero plug-in's are attached to the first post of this thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...nnot-restart-same-channel-when-stopped-75275/

However given the below I can tell you with absolute 100% certainty (more certain than knowing my own name), that plug-ins have absolutely NOTHING to do with this error. Zip, zilch, nada.

Installed windows 7 on a fresh hard drive.
    Installed HD Homerun driver
    Installed MP + latest SVN

Watch TV 1st attempt is good. 2nd attempt is good. Third attempt gives this unknown error. Rinse repeat until the cows come home. Makes no difference if you close and restart MP. A reboot will allow you to tune two channels consecutively, but that's because it's rolling to the 2nd tuner of my HDHR. Once they've both been used once that's it.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country

Hi,

Best wishes,

Mark

I did a clean install of Windows 7 with MediaPortal 1.1.0 Beta with SVN from Jan 8, 2010 and had this problem. No plugins installed. At first I thought I did something wrong, so I formatted and reinstalled everything and the same issue exists with Windows 7.

I then did a clean install of Vista with SP2 (No TV Pack) and MediaPortal 1.1.0 Beta SVN from Jan 8, 2010 and did not have the tuning problem; no plugins installed.

Note: All drivers were the latest versions and supported both Vista and Windows 7.

These results and the post by tourettes (i have linked to that thread multiple times in this thread) stating that with Vista TV Pack and Windows 7, Microsoft changed the network provider leads me to believe that these tuning issues are directly related to the changes in the network provider.

See this thread

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ork-provider-not-allways-best-solution-72733/

You do have a way to select between generic and dvb network providers in config (isn't ATSC more or less the same as DVB)?

If you open TV Server config, and select your card in the left-hand panel, there will be a button at the bottom 'edit'. Click on this, and in the window that opens, you have a choice of 'network provider'.

Please let me know if this solves your problem.

Best wishes,

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom