[TV] Unable to record/watch consecutive shows on the same channel (1 Viewer)

jaymode

Portal Pro
July 31, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I did a fresh install of Win 7 x64 and MP 1.1.0 RC1 (no plugins). It exhibited the same issues described in this thread. I downloaded rev 25080 from SVN and applied whurlston's patch and built a TVlibrary.dll and can now change channels without issue.

What will it take to get this fix into RC2?

jaymode

Portal Pro
July 31, 2008
Home Country
I have recompiled the fix from whurlston for the RC2 release and the TVLibrary.dll and .pdb is in the attached zip file.

Attachments

• TVLibrary.zip
    30.6 KB

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    Now that I've been pointed to this thread I can share my findings. I'd noticed how the ATSC tuner (I had installed) wouldn't repeatedly tune a station under MP 1.1.0 RC1 and thought it was being fixed in RC2. Apparently not so, not yet... I downloaded the TVLibrary.dll from this thread and it seems to work. Also I've read and located how to do the --DebugOptions and this seems to work as well - separate from the TVLibrary.dll file. Neither seems entirely reliable and I found I had to restart the TVService to gain function of both of the ATSC tuners I (now) have installed - was getting Cannot start timeshifting, or something like that for a while.

I must say that unlike your definition, I CAN use the Manual Control/Timeshifting button to tune repeated channels on the same station as long as they are different subchannel numbers. Only when I attempt to tune the exact same channel/subchannel do I get an "UNKNOWN ERROR" which, is easily worked-around by asking for any other channel. Clearly this is a problem for unattended scheduled recordings and still needs to be fine tuned/fixed.

Since I wasn't sure what other code changes are in RC2, I'm now using the --DebugOption route and will report again. I'm using a fresh system, Win7 and noticed my tuners are configured as Generic Network Providers. I have not changed them to ATSC given what I'd read in this thread.

All in all this seems to be a Win7 OS issue, right? I mean, that's why it wasn't present on my WinXP system under MP 1.0.2, right? I really appreciate the hard work these developers do - especially given the variety of tuning devices used globally!

UPDATE: OK, so I'll test the new file... thanks!

UPDATE 2: Just installed the new file and after repeated opening the same station from Manual Control I get an Unknown Error popup and an entry in the TV.log about an indeo decoder something or another I've not seen before...

jaymode

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2008
    Home Country
    Now that I've been pointed to this thread I can share my findings. I'd noticed how the ATSC tuner (I had installed) wouldn't repeatedly tune a station under MP 1.1.0 RC1 and thought it was being fixed in RC2. Apparently not so, not yet... I downloaded the TVLibrary.dll from this thread and it seems to work. Also I've read and located how to do the --DebugOptions and this seems to work as well - separate from the TVLibrary.dll file. Neither seems entirely reliable and I found I had to restart the TVService to gain function of both of the ATSC tuners I (now) have installed - was getting Cannot start timeshifting, or something like that for a while.

I must say that unlike your definition, I CAN use the Manual Control/Timeshifting button to tune repeated channels on the same station as long as they are different subchannel numbers. Only when I attempt to tune the exact same channel/subchannel do I get an "UNKNOWN ERROR" which, is easily worked-around by asking for any other channel. Clearly this is a problem for unattended scheduled recordings and still needs to be fine tuned/fixed.

Since I wasn't sure what other code changes are in RC2, I'm now using the --DebugOption route and will report again. I'm using a fresh system, Win7 and noticed my tuners are configured as Generic Network Providers. I have not changed them to ATSC given what I'd read in this thread.

All in all this seems to be a Win7 OS issue, right? I mean, that's why it wasn't present on my WinXP system under MP 1.0.2, right? I really appreciate the hard work these developers do - especially given the variety of tuning devices used globally!

UPDATE: OK, so I'll test the new file... thanks!

So we are experiencing the same issue, its just that I was not clear. The problem happens when tuning to the same channel and sub channel combination for me. This is an issue as I often do back to back recordings.

I think there are a few combinations to test out:
    Plain RC2: Generic Provider [ This we know doesn't work properly ]
    Plain RC2: Generic Provider and DebugOptions reset graph set
    Plain RC2: ATSC provider
    Plain RC2: ATSC provider and DebugOptions reset graph set

Patched RC2: Generic Provider
    Patched RC2: ATSC Provider

For the patched RC2, the DebugOptions reset graph does not apply as it is forced in the code.

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    OK... so I did testing with an ATi 650 Combo USB and an ATi HDTV-Wonder on my Win7 system. I find the USB has lower signal strength compared to the HDTV-Wonder - I even swapped antenna connections as proof. I also find I can't use ATSC instead of Generic on the my 650 Combo USB tuner. The HDTV-Wonder doesn't need the RESET when it's in ATSC but does if I leave it as initially configured as Generic (Network Provider). As far as using Debug mode & Reset Graph it seems necessary for the USB/Generic tuner to keep tuning the same channel repeatedly. I'm really curious about the file I posted above and what MediaPortal is meaning with that Indeo Decoder error - I don't even have one that I know of! Oh well, I've slowed down my keystrokes in testing to separate potential operator-error from the code. I'd rather stick with the built-in options (debug) unless it'll help identify the necessary code (in an updated .dll) we need... let me know how I can help - but it seems not all BDA tuners act the same! I also found I had to cycle power on the USB tuner a time or two - I think it gets into some weird mode when it gets talked to oddly.

PS. I'm not sure many on here can even get the ATi 650 Combo's ATSC tuner to work with MP... so maybe it's just a case of boarderline performance. I am still having issue with it's analog capture: works fine inside the TV-Server/TV Channels but when I select it under MyTV I get an initial video image and it locks up. But that's another issue and is NOT ATSC related.

UPDATE: As it turns out, switching the HDTV-Wonder (configured as ATSC NP) while it worked fine under TV-Server/Manual Control, in practice it got hung - Unable to start graph - was in the Error.Log. Reconfiguring to Generic NP is more robust. Is the MP code different between these two operations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom