Update MySQL 5.1 to latest 5.6 version (1 Viewer)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi all,

I am about to do a clean install of Windows this morning, and though I may as well test this. Are there any known issues for a clean install?

Thanks,

Mark

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,
    It should be ok :) and for sure need testing :)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I have set up my new TV Server yesterday. I also tried MySQL 5.6. The Permissions are a bit hard to setup (with default, MP Multiseat clients can't access TV Server). I've added root at % as User (with MySQL Workbench, so it's wise to install it too), then all was working. And I needed to use IP address instead of PC name, as the other way the connection got lost every now and then. This could be an issue of my router, as I had some similar issues earlier (in a complete different circumstance). MySQL Port is blocked from outside my Home network (router- firewall) so no big security problem to allow root access from everywhere... Performance is quite good (= better) compared to MSSQL and especially compared to MySQL 5.1 (average CPU load decreases from 30% on MySQL 5.1 to 2% on MySQL 5.6... ).
    Did not have any long time experience now, but first impression is good.

Ahh,... this is with MP 1.3 final. The 1.4 testbuild (from May 1st) wasn't able to import channels and schedules from export.xml created with 1.3 final so I decided to stay on 1.3 until next build and then try an update...

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    (with default, MP Multiseat clients can't access TV Server). I've added root at % as User (with MySQL Workbench, so it's wise to install it too), then all was working.

I'm hoping you're around a lot today, so that when I can't get it working, I can ask how to do this!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    With MySQL 5.6 I would hope we could get away from using root user.
    Allowing root access from remote machines is generally not good practise. ;)

What is required for dedicated MP user:
    • create empty schema to be used by MP
    • create user for MP, allow access from all hosts (%)
    • grant all on the MP schema to the MP user
    • grant select on the mysql schema to the MP user
    After that it should be possible to install TV Server using the schema name, username and password defined for the MP schema and MP user created above.

If you use root user then I think it is just as simple as allowing access from all hosts. But again, this is not recommended, especially if the DB contains other schemas.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm hoping you're around a lot today
    Sorry, I'm not. I'm leaving at Noon and will be back late evening...

But again, this is not recommended,
    I know, but in my case it's not important as I only use MySQL for MP TV Server and as I mentioned earlier the ports are blocked from outside. And no one else is fiddling around in my home network, it's save here to do so...

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Using this branch (i hope and was working for me), it should download and install MySQL 5.6 like it was working for 5.1 :)

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I'm hoping you're around a lot today

Sorry, I'm not. I'm leaving at Noon and will be back late evening...

In that case, do you have time to write a quick explanation for me?

I just did clean installation with MySQL 5.6 and it's like a walk in the park ;)

1. Use web installer in http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/installer/ (mysql-installer-web-community-5.6.11.0.msi)
    2. Make sure you install MySQL Workbench too
    3. make sure you give "root" user a password "MediaPortal".
    4. Use MySQL Workbench to give user "root" access from everywhere (that is "permission" %)
    see http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/@a...QL_-_Limit_Connectivity_to_Hosts_Matching.png

Send me a message if you have any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom