Update MySQL 5.1 to latest 5.6 version (1 Viewer)

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    i like to make it, but i don't speak very well english ...

radical

Portal Pro
    December 16, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I do not think this is a disadvantage.
    You'll probably be able to describe it much better with simple words and make it more understandable.

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @azzuro and @megahorst have made already an how to.
    Maybe one of them could publish it in the wiki?

At least my howto in this thread is a little bit outdated.
    After writing it I have mentioned some things in my self created 5.6 DB that did not fit the needs.
    All the tables were stored as MyISAM tables. I was able to change the engine to InnoDb for all table but two tables.
    I was not able to alter the tables "recording" and "schedule" to use the InnoDb engine.

It always ended with:
    alter table `mptvdb`.`recording` engine=innodb Error Code: 1071. Specified key was too long; max key length is 767 bytes 0.031 sec

At least I did a fresh install of sebastiiis build. Within this all the tables are correct.

I think that converting the tables from a 5.1 to a 5.6 Db together with the change of the engine while updating MePo to a new version is the challenge here. All tables have to be checked after the installer has updated the versions.

Updating should be a testcase here in this Area51 thread.

If nessary I can provide a short manual how to check the tables in the MySQL workbench.

Last edited:

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've been running with v5.6 for a couple of weeks also. Only thing i noticed is that some checkboxes (from a plugin!) wouldn't stick. If i check it, close config, open config, it's UNchecked again. Will contact plugin developer to see if it's on that side.

I'm also using MySQL 5.6 and this plugin. I will check If I have this issue too. Until now I have not mentioned it.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm also using MySQL 5.6 and this plugin. I will check If I have this issue too. Until now I have not mentioned it.
    TNX! ;)
    I just checked my setup this morning and since i had some issues when i removed the 5.1 install after upgrading to 5.6, i think my dB is also switched to InnoDB. If it work for your on MyISAM, then it might be related to that.

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I've been running with v5.6 for a couple of weeks also. Only thing i noticed is that some checkboxes (from a plugin!) wouldn't stick. If i check it, close config, open config, it's UNchecked again. Will contact plugin developer to see if it's on that side.

Would be nice.. I offered to check it aswell, but I'm not using tvwishlist myself, and I have no idea how it works, so if you want to do it? Thanks!

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It always ended with:
    alter table `mptvdb`.`recording` engine=innodb Error Code: 1071. Specified key was too long; max key length is 767 bytes 0.031 sec
    For that matter: did you try to fix this issue like described here?
    No, I have not. It was not clear for me how the key values and the application interact. So I left it as it was and did not change it.

For those who want to check the engine that is used for their tables after an update with MySQL workbench:
    1. Start the workbench
    2. double klick on "Local MySQL" on the left side of the window
    3. In the object browser choose the schema "mptvdb"
    4. navigate to the tables
    5. right click on a table
    6. choose "alter table..."
    7. click onto the arrows shown in red circle
    8. workbench1.png
    9. see the engine
    10. workbench2.png
    It seems not to be possible to change this value with the workbench GUI. You have to do this at the SQL prompt.

But:

If you find any table with MyISAM as engine, you should report this here. @Sebastiii should know this to correct his build

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I have checked this issue.
    Checking/unchecking of a TV wish is stored when you move to another record after checking/unchecking. I think this was the same with MySQL MyISAM 5.1.
    All my tables are stored as InnoDb Tables.

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have checked this issue.
    Checking /Unchecking of a TV wish is stored when you move to another record after checking/unchecking. I thing this was the same with MySQL MyISAM 5.1.
    All my tables are stored as InnoDb Tables.
    TNX for checking this @megahorst ;) And indeed, following your instructions makes it 'stick' again! Never noticed this before.
    My tables are also stored as InnoDB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom