Upgrade to 1.13.0 and the DefaultWideHD skin (1 Viewer)

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have upgraded from 1.12.0 to 1.13.0 both for TV Server and the client.

I have had no problems with the TV Server but many with the DefaultWideHD skin and I have reported the problems I have found there.

Am I okay with running the 1.12.0 client with the 1.13.0 TV Server until the DefaultWideHD problems are resolved?

Tony

XMaM

Portal Member
    December 15, 2012
    Asturias
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Am I okay with running the 1.12.0 client with the 1.13.0 TV Server until the DefaultWideHD problems are resolved?

I think (if I don't remember wrong :unsure:) that versions in TV server and MP client must match.

However, if your problem is only with the new skin, you can continue using your current skin. If the problem is that you want to use the DefaultWide skin (former DefaultWide skin) that is erased when installing MP 1.13, maybe you can make a copy of the folder skin before the upgrade and restore it after the upgrade.

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    I have tried running 1.12.0 against 1.13.0 on the TV Server, and yes, I want to use the DefaultWide skin rather than Titan. Now I've gone back to 1.12.0 as a client, I've found out that one of the bugs I found in DefaultWideHD also occurs in DefaultWide (I hadn't noticed this behaviour before); namely, when I right-click a program already marked to record, the program jumps out to the main menu screen. It doesn't do this when running the Titan skin.

I can't do WatchDog on this in 1.12.0 or 1.13.0 because both defaults to the Titan skin.

There are some other issues I have with the DefaultWideHD skin so I'm not sure what to do next.

Is the DeafultWideHD skin under 1.13.0 supported by the standard MP team because I'm not getting any useful responses from the 'Support for new DefaultWideHD' team?

XMaM

Portal Member
    December 15, 2012
    Asturias
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Is the DeafultWideHD skin under 1.13.0 supported by the standard MP team because I'm not getting any useful responses from the 'Support for new DefaultWideHD' team?

if I'm not mistaken, more or less, yes. In fact, it has replaced the defaulwide skin, and is now other default skin in mediaportal along Titan.

Quote from News in MediaPortal 1.13 Release
    Highlights in 1.13 said:
    Highlights of this release

Remove Default skin and replace DefaultWide with DefaultWideHD
    It wasn´t an easy decision, but finally we decided to drop the 4:3 Skin "Default" from the installer. For users who need a 4:3 skin, there is a nice replacement called "Four2Three" with the same functionality as the new DefaultWideHD.

We also replaced the skin "DefaultWide" with "DefaultWideHD" with the full HD resolution of 1920 x 1080. A lot of users may already know that skin as "DefaultWide HD", from our skin repository.

"DefaultWideHD" offers an easy-to-use BasicHome-Editor inside the GUI to let you configure MediaPortal to your personnel needs.

More information and a description of how to use the new BasicHome Editor can be found under this link:https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/support-for-new-defaultwidehd.132552
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/support-for-new-defaultwidehd.132552/

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I can't do WatchDog on this in 1.12.0 or 1.13.0 because both defaults to the Titan skin.
    You can do the equivalent though:
    1. Set MediaPortal's log level to debug mode manually.
    2. Open MediaPortal [not using the watchdog].
    3. Reproduce whatever you want to show.
    4. Close MediaPortal.
    5. Use the Watchdog with option 3 to export the existing log files (which will include the session from steps 2 - 4).
    There are some other issues I have with the DefaultWideHD skin so I'm not sure what to do next.
    Have you notified @catavolt about all of them in the DefaultWideHD support thread?

Is the DeafultWideHD skin under 1.13.0 supported by the standard MP team...?
    It is supported primarily by catavolt (the "standard MP" team member who created the skin), but also by those of us who know how to do skinning (which is not me).

...because I'm not getting any useful responses from the 'Support for new DefaultWideHD' team...
    First, thank you for engaging - we appreciate it. (y)

Let's take your posts in the DefaultWideHD support thread one by one...

Post #1
    I have just upgraded from MP 1.12.0 to 1.13.0. Under 1.12.0 I was using the DefaultWide skin and was able to access the Topbar, using a remote control, from the main menu screen by pressing the up button. This no longer seems to work under DefaultWideHD in 1.13.0.

Is it possible to configure the skin to allow the Up key to make the Topbar visible and actionable?
    This doesn't appear to have been responded to, but as far as I'm concerned it's very ambiguous as to whether this is a bug/issue. DefaultWideHD will not function like DefaultWide in every single nitty gritty detail like this. If you had expected it to, with the greatest respect: you may need to adjust your expectations. I suggest you ask again if this is something that's really important to you... and be very clear about the importance. Otherwise questions like this will easily get overlooked/ignored.

Also, is it possible to copy the skin configuration from one client machine to another?
    Answered: yes.

Post #2
    When I go into the BasicHome Editor to add Radio to the Root Menu I am unable to find the Radio Guide and Recordings options to add to the Menu-Radio options. These two options are available in the Radio functionality.

Is this an oversight that an be corrected?
    Answered: will have a look.

Given that it's been 10 days it'd be reasonable to ask for a progress update (which would serve as a reminder in case your question "slipped through the cracks"). In general, please keep in mind that it has been new year and Christmas so lots of people have been busy with holidays and family time. As such, time for MP may be reduced, other things are on our minds, responses may be slower than usual etc.

Post #3
    I think I have found a problem with the DefaultWideHD 1.13.0 skin once a program has been marked for recording; the mouse cannot activate a program marked for recording while the ENTER key does work.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    This is a completely "open" question. Since nobody has said "yes" after the best part of a week, you might assume the answer to your question is "no". Perhaps a better question might have been: can anybody else reproduce this?

In any case, catavolt responded yesterday by asking if you had applied the patch from post 5. You have not responded to his question. The ball's in your court.

So in summary, it seems like every comment/question except one (topbar) has been responded to. If the initial responses weren't useful, follow up and ask for the information you need. Nobody's going to know that the answers you've received aren't helping you unless you say something.

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There is a new patch in the support thread for DefaultWideHD post # 6 ;)
    This should solve all the problems mentioned here except the topbar "bug" in Home menu.
    It was never possible to go "UP" to access the topbar, it was always "LEFT" or "RIGHT", becuase "UP"/"DOWN" is for scrolling the menu items.
    In new DWHD it is "LEFT" to go to a minimized "top bar" with the options Back, Close MP and Close MP with options, and it´s also clearly visible by an icon on the left side ;)

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi catavolt

I've applied the patch, 264014_Cumulative_Update_for_DWHD, and confirm that this fixes the issue where left-mouse-clicking a program already marked for recording now works as if the program was selected and ENTER is pressed - thanks for that. This was the most serious issue so far as I was concerned.

That leaves two issues still outstanding:
    1) Radio Guide doesn't seem to be available as an option in the Menu-Radio category of the BasicHome Editor for Radio when it is added to the BasicHome Root Menu:
    2) The ability to go to the top bar from the main screen using a remote control. This is not a show-stopper. The ability to go to the top bar from the main screen in the DefaultWide skin was nice because it was a quick way to exit. The only alternative to this that I can see is to go to the Root Menu, then go left.

These two issues are 'nice-to-haves' that I look forward to being introduced in a future release.

Thank you for your efforts, they are much appreciated.

Tony

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again Tony

2) The ability to go to the top bar from the main screen using a remote control. This is not a show-stopper. The ability to go to the top bar from the main screen in the DefaultWide skin was nice because it was a quick way to exit. The only alternative to this that I can see is to go to the Root Menu, then go left.
    Does your remote not have a power button that you can configure to close MP when you press it? (...or have you mapped the button to something else?)

[edit: To be clear, I ask this because it seems like there could/should be better solutions to enable you to close MP quickly.]

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    1) Radio Guide doesn't seem to be available as an option in the Menu-Radio category of the BasicHome Editor for Radio
    Not implemented yet - will have a look for that ;)
    2) The ability to go to the top bar from the main screen using a remote control.
    I´m not sure what you´re talking about. We have two "Home" menus: BasicHome and Home. In BasicHome you can always go up from main menu to a submenu and from there to topbar :confused:

Wiedmann

Portal Pro
    June 22, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In BasicHome you can always go up from main menu to a submenu and from there to topbar :confused:
    Hm, that's not always working.
    e.g. it's working for
    TV->Aufnahmen->TopBar
    Videos->TV-Serien->TopBar

But e.g. not for:
    TV->Aufnahmen-Timer->TopBar
    Videos->OnlineVideos->TopBar
    any submenu entry in "Einstellungen".

Also I can't access the TopBar from any main menu entry without an submenu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom