Upgrade to MP2.2 pre release fails with failure to start service (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digsy

Portal Pro
August 29, 2018
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
MediaPortal 2 Version: 2.1.3

Description
Just tried the MP2.2 pre release and it fails with an error saying it cannot start the MP2-Service.

Roll back to 2.1.3 worked fine.

I was installing 2.2 "over the top" of 2.1.3, I did not uninstall 2.1.3. first.

Log file attached.

Steps to Reproduce:
Tried to install 2.2 pre-release over 2.1.3

Attachments

• MediaPortal_2_20180924120308.log
    11.3 KB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

this is for sure not a bug since 2.2 installs without problems over 2.1.3 for other users. So the question is why it is not working for you. Is your system fully updated, i.e. does a Windows update terminate without errors on your system? If yes, the please use the setuplogging.bat in the zip to run the installer and post the log.

You may also try to uninstall MP 2.1.3 - you data remain untouched - and then install MP 2.2pre, although I don't think that this will change much. Yet maybe worth a try. If that fails, just reintall MP 2.1.3 and you will be back to where you left from before.

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    My system is fully updated, yes, and Windows updates work fine. I will try an install with setuplogging.bat

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    Two log files attached:

"Attempt 2" is just trying to install over the top of 2.1.3 again.
    "Attempt 3" is after uninstalling 2.1.3

Both failed in the same way, as you predicted.

The third file is a Windows event which occurs when the service fails to start. In event viewer, I can see the service being set to "Autostart", then this event occurs, followed by the service stopping. This cycle repeats a few times and then I guess the installer gives up.

I have re-installed 2.1.3 without an issues.

Attachments

• Install attempt 2.7z
      1.7 MB
    • Install attempt 3.7z
      1.1 MB
    • Event.txt
      1.4 KB
    Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Windows reports an installer error #1603. Nothing more visible in the log. Please check out this Microsoft website whether anything described therein applies to you. Sometimes it also helps to explicitly launch the installer with full admin privileges ("run as administrator").

The one new thing is that we now install '.Net 4.7.1 and don't rely on 4.5 anymore. You could try to locate the respective Microsoft installer for Windows 7 and manually install 4.7.1. Then try the MP2 setup again.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The one new thing is that we now install '.Net 4.7.1 and don't rely on 4.5 anymore. You could try to locate the respective Microsoft installer for Windows 7 and manually install 4.7.1. Then try the MP2 setup again.
    I know he did already and it did not help. Also manually installing latest dokan version did not help.

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    i have the same problem and it is really frustrating... can't get MP2 to install because the services don't start. I tried to run the installer as admin but no changes. Is there ANY solution? (delete DB, re-install .NET, etc...?)

error.jpg

Last edited:

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    i have the same problem and it is really frustrating... can't get MP2 to install because the services don't start.
    Please attache the log files, if possible. Do you exactly have the same error?
    Usually a package could not be installed/upgraded and this can be seen from logs, so quickly corrected.

In case of @Digsy there is a different generell problem, which I also had once in the past.
    Please try following, which helped me:
    • Deinstall previous MP2 version completely and remove all entries with a reg cleaner
    • Reboot PC
    • Remove (back-up to another folder) the previous settings from "program data"
    • Deactivate any virus software
    • Install MP2.2

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    The only thing I can imagine is that you both have a 2.1.3 server plugin installed, that is not compatible with 2.2.. Maybe Emulators plugin or so.
    A "simple" uninstall did not remove manual changes as a plugin installation is up to now. Indeed this "bad guy" may be the only thing left in the "program files" folder at all... Personally I don't use any extra server plugins excerpt for TVServerKodi plugin in TVE... But I know from past experiences that a not compatible plugin prevents the server from starting...

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Deinstall previous MP2 version completely and remove all entries with a reg cleaner

I want to avoid this because then I have to scan all my TV channels again and map them to clickfinder again. It takes too much time... maybe I find time next weekend.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom