Upgrade to MP2.2 pre release fails with failure to start service (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digsy

Portal Pro
August 29, 2018
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Hi.
The only thing I can imagine is that you both have a 2.1.3 server plugin installed, that is not compatible with 2.2.. Maybe Emulators plugin or so.

I only have XMLTV and Power Scheduler installed.
Plugins.JPG

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    @Digsy
    Thanks for the logs!

here's where the installer tries to start the MP2-Server:
    MSI (s) (20:04) [13:20:19:442]: Executing op: ServiceControl(,Name=MP2-Server,Action=1,Wait=1,)
    StartServices: Service: MediaPortal 2 Server Service

after that, the failed start is logged by the installer:
    Error 1920. Service 'MediaPortal 2 Server Service' (MP2-Server) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.
    MSI (s) (20:48) [13:20:57:092]: I/O on thread 2736 could not be cancelled. Error: 1168
    MSI (s) (20:48) [13:20:57:092]: I/O on thread 3752 could not be cancelled. Error: 1168
    MSI (s) (20:04) [13:20:57:092]: Product: MediaPortal 2 -- Error 1920. Service 'MediaPortal 2 Server Service' (MP2-Server) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Are you sure you want to cancel?
    Action ended 13:20:58: InstallFinalize. Return value 3

Between this two timestamps there is a MP2-Server crash log from 24/09/2018 13:20:53:
    = Exception Information
    == Exception: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Net.HttpListenerException: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
    at System.Net.HttpListener.AddAllPrefixes()
    at System.Net.HttpListener.Start()
    at Microsoft.Owin.Host.HttpListener.OwinHttpListener.Start(HttpListener listener, Func`2 appFunc, IList`1 addresses, IDictionary`2 capabilities, Func`2 loggerFactory)
    at Microsoft.Owin.Host.HttpListener.OwinServerFactory.Create(Func`2 app, IDictionary`2 properties)
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
    at Microsoft.Owin.Hosting.ServerFactory.ServerFactoryAdapter.Create(IAppBuilder builder)
    at Microsoft.Owin.Hosting.Engine.HostingEngine.StartServer(StartContext context)
    at Microsoft.Owin.Hosting.Engine.HostingEngine.Start(StartContext context)
    at Microsoft.Owin.Hosting.WebApp.StartImplementation(IServiceProvider services, StartOptions options, Action`1 startup)
    at MediaPortal.Common.Services.ResourceAccess.ResourceServer.CreateAndStartServer()
    at MediaPortal.Common.Services.ResourceAccess.ResourceServer..ctor()
    at MediaPortal.Common.ApplicationCore.RegisterCoreServices()
    at MediaPortal.Server.ApplicationLauncher.Start()
    Message: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    Site : System.Object InvokeMethod(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Signature, Boolean)
    Source : mscorlib
    == Inner Exception(s):
    The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

== Stack Trace:
    at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
    at Microsoft.Owin.Hosting.ServerFactory.ServerFactoryAdapter.Create(IAppBuilder builder)
    at Microsoft.Owin.Hosting.Engine.HostingEngine.StartServer(StartContext context)
    at Microsoft.Owin.Hosting.Engine.HostingEngine.Start(StartContext context)
    at Microsoft.Owin.Hosting.WebApp.StartImplementation(IServiceProvider services, StartOptions options, Action`1 startup)
    at MediaPortal.Common.Services.ResourceAccess.ResourceServer.CreateAndStartServer()
    at MediaPortal.Common.Services.ResourceAccess.ResourceServer..ctor()
    at MediaPortal.Common.ApplicationCore.RegisterCoreServices()
    at MediaPortal.Server.ApplicationLauncher.Start()
    It shows that the OWIN Server can't be started:
    The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

I suppose it can't be started because some other application is using already a port required by OWIN.

@morpheus_xx
    do you know which port(s) are required by OWIN? Does the MP2-Server checks, if the required port is free or not?

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    Probably no use now but I just tried two more installs with my AV (Microsoft Security Essentials) disabled, and by running as Administrator. Both failed and I am back with 2.1.3. again.

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    @Digsy
    Did you try to run the installer with completely disabled windows firewall?

No, but I just tried it. Failed again and rolled back to 2.1.3

I'll say one thing: The UN-installer for 2.2 works really well :)

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    If I'm seeing it right, a new port was introduced by the OWIN server: 55555. This port is new in 2.2, MP2. 2.1.3 didn't needed this port.
    In case it helps, here is a list of the ports in use on my machine right now.
    This is a list of the used ports when MP2 2.1.3 was running, right? There is MP2-Server on it using port 55555:
    Code:
    [MP2-Server.exe]
      TCP    0.0.0.0:55555          0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       196

From your previously posted event log:
    Unable to bind to the underlying transport for [::]:55555. The IP Listen-Only list may contain a reference to an interface which may not exist on this machine. The data field contains the error number.
    Which clearly says that a application is trying to use a an already used port.

Can you uninstall the 2.1.3 version and check the ports again? There shouldn't have be any 55555.

Also, I'm guessing (actually seeing it in the logs :p ) you had some earlier 2.2 builds installed, right? Can you check, that you only have one MP2 application entry in the windows Programs and features list. Make sure all MP2 entries are uninstalled, and no application is using 55555 then try to install 2.2.

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    This is a list of the used ports when MP2 2.1.3 was running, right?

That's correct. 2.1.3 was installed when I made that list.

Can you uninstall the 2.1.3 version and check the ports again? There shouldn't have be any 55555.
    Will do and post the results shortly.

Also, I'm guessing (actually seeing it in the logs :p ) you had some earlier 2.2 builds installed, right?

Yes and no. I did have an earlier build but I never managed to get it to install because of the same issue that we are discussing here. 2.1.3 is the only version that has actually ever successfully installed on my PC.

Can you check, that you only have one MP2 application entry in the windows Programs and features list. Make sure all MP2 entries are uninstalled, and no application is using 55555 then try to install 2.2.

This is the only version I have installed right now (before uninstalling and doing the checks you are asking for above). It should be 2.1.3.
    Programmes and features.JPG

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom