UPnP / DLNA Media Server for MediaPortal 2 (3 Viewers)

McGoober

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 13, 2006
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sorry all for my lack of effort recently. Various family and work commitments have consumed me. Someone thought it would be a great idea to promote me and then give me a shed load of extra work to do, how dare they! I'm still committed to this project. I wanna get some new stuff out very soon.

McGoober

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 13, 2006
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    Cheers guys :)

I spent last night re-syncing with the MP2 repository, and fixing up the plugin with the recent changes. One of the changes seems to stop the plugin from loading media item information from the database, I'll have to have another look at that tonight.

I always loved the idea of TV in MediaPortal, it makes me go a little giddy thinking of the possibilities. Morpheus_xx's suggestion of TV streamed over DLNA is a fab one, and definately on the top of my list. Might need to do some drilling in me study to get me an aerial feed though ;) Don't tell the wife!

4irm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I know DLNA is supposed to be part of MP2. But since this is a great feature and it is going to take at least 1 or 2 years until everybody will have switched to MP2, I'd like to use it in MP1.X as well. So keep up your great work! Thanks

McGoober

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 13, 2006
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    I happened to be playing with Serviio last night, and discovered that MP2's UPnPTools didn't discover Serviio's UPnP device. After a debug session I logged a bug to do with UPnP version parsing. Looks like the DLNA spec is a great read and a bit of a disrupter to the great UPnP work Albert has done.... sorry Albert ;)

McGoober

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 13, 2006
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    @morpheus_xx: not sure about HTTP compression. I've done a couple of searches through the DLNA spec, and it didn't come up with anything. So I'm not sure whether that means its supported or not. If I had to guess... then not, knowing how strict this spec is. However I will keep an eye out.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yesterday I played around inside our UPnP library and added compression support for the regular HTTP requests:

If the client sends a "Accept-Encoding: gzip" I compress the result stream, the client then decompresses the response. It's not finished yet, but it should be safe to add, because it depends on normal http features. Size reduce of the SOAP stuff is huge! :D

McGoober

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 13, 2006
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    DLNA 7.2.5.2 states that a DLNA device must support HTTP 1.1. Nicely done morpheus_xx. Is there an option to turn it off for debugging purposes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom