UPnP / DLNA Media Server for MediaPortal 2 (5 Viewers)

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I happened to be playing with Serviio last night, and discovered that MP2's UPnPTools didn't discover Serviio's UPnP device. After a debug session I logged a bug to do with UPnP version parsing. Looks like the DLNA spec is a great read and a bit of a disrupter to the great UPnP work Albert has done.... sorry Albert ;)
    What exactly does that mean? Which bug?
    What is the version string your Serviio device sends?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I added compression to the UPnP library: https://github.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-2/commits/FEAT_UPnP_Compression

Both gzip and deflate are supported (last commit prefers "deflate", I've read it should be faster).

The compression level could be even better using .NET45 framework, there were new constructors added to GZipStream that allows to pass a CompressionLevel parameter.

A sample loading 100 video MediaItems incl. binary thumbnails:
    • Uncompressed: 2.4 MB
    • gzip/deflate (current implementation): 2.2 MB
    • fiddler gzip: 1.3 MB (applied in analysis window)
    For text-only message the compression factor is already ~ 1: 10 !

McGoober

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 13, 2006
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've just pushed the new branch of FEAT_DLNA into MediaPortal-2 Git repository. This is the v1.03a code with some code cleanups to comply with coding standards. I had to temporary remove the PEG parser whilst we decide whether it's license is ok to use. This branch is where I'll be doing my work for the moment.

McGoober

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 13, 2006
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    Had a good session on the plugin tonight. I managed to get the plugin working again (sort of) under the newer changes to MP2 (only works with MP3's at the moment). The main issue I'm having is the detection of the media and converting that to a DLNA compliant mimetype and profileId. Both of which I'm hoping will be solved with a FFMPEG lib I have cooking and a DLNA mapping file I need to create. However, whilst I was down in the depths of the code I did manage to add a rudimentary implementation to show thumbnails for content. I must say it now makes my music collection look a whole lot prettier.

Tons of work still ahead.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    About the init issue:

I think we need a proper solution to handle this in a better way. I have the opposite problem with SlimTv via UPnP: I want to send the server a command on plugin shutdown, but in this moment the CP got already shutdown.

Maybe the SystemStateService requires more fine grained states...

McGoober

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 13, 2006
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    Just checking you mean the UPnP startup problem?
    Not yet. I've worked round the problem for the time being, but will require a prober fix at some point.

Merry Christmas btw to all.

My recent efforts have concentrated on providing correct dlna profile and forth field entries. This seems to be the crux of most of the problems with stability. I'm having to add a new media aspect to store the data I discover from running ffmpeg on media items. This information seems to be more accurate than the current media extractors. At least that is what I found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom