User experience with AMD 780G and MediaPortal (2 Viewers)

jo16v

Portal Pro
August 23, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
New F7 BIOS for GA-MA78GM-S2H rev 1.0 and 1.1 (not 2.0) was released on 31st December - download here. There have also been some driver and BIOS updates for these boards and most of the other Gigabyte 780G boards- see here.

INSTRUCTIONS: Run the executable to extract the files- you only need ma78gs2h.f7 or whatever the similar file is for your board. Put the file on an empty USB pen drive that is formatted in FAT 16/32. Restart system- press End button - the QFlash BIOS programme will start - locate your USB drive select the file and follow instructions to update BIOS. Don't touch anything or press any buttons while it updates! When it is finished restart system and press Delete to load BIOS- you may have to correct your hard disk boot order. Then load optimised defaults and save and exit.

See also further info at Gigabyte and this warning:

"Because BIOS flashing is potentially risky, if you do not encounter problems using the current version of BIOS, it is recommended that you not flash the BIOS. To flash the BIOS, do it with caution. Inadequate BIOS flashing may result in system malfunction."

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Can I face another driver/BIOS change..... Aaaaarrrgggghhhhhhhhh!!!

:)

Yeah, putting the flash-file on your USB-drive and pressing <end> on boot is such a dreadful task ;)

Remember that the board has a backup-BIOS, so I really don't se problem :)

My Rev. 1.0 updated fine from what I can tell.

jo16v

Portal Pro
    August 23, 2008
    Home Country
    +1

I think this bio upgrade is for phenom2 support. I won't need to do it anytime soon.
    Description for F7 says "Update CPU ID (AGESA3.3.2.0) ". Annoyingly there was an F6 update released just before F7, but they have removed it from the site and I can't remember what the description was.:rolleyes:

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    +1

I think this bio upgrade is for phenom2 support. I won't need to do it anytime soon.
    Description for F7 says "Update CPU ID (AGESA3.3.2.0) ". Annoyingly there was an F6 update released just before F7, but they have removed it from the site and I can't remember what the description was.:rolleyes:

F6 had this description (Google cache is your friend): Update CPU ID (AGESA3.3.2.0)

It sounds weird if F6 and F7 are the same...

The more I think about it, the more clear it must be that F6 was faulty since it now is removed.

jo16v

Portal Pro
    August 23, 2008
    Home Country
    F6 had this description (Google cache is your friend): Update CPU ID (AGESA3.3.2.0)

It sounds weird if F6 and F7 are the same...

The more I think about it, the more clear it must be that F6 was faulty since it now is removed.
    Yeah that is probably it. Is there any details of what CPUs this adds support for?

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    wow... huge thread. Ive read through and there's a lot of complexity here.

For people who have this chipset and are using it to play 1080p in mediaportal

- Is it worth buying?

The reason I ask is because the responses seem failry mixed, and there remain a few issues people are battling with.

Would you recommend 780g as a viable hd graphics option for MP?

huckster2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Experiences in NZ with ATI graphics cards in general are not good when dealing with interlaced (e.g 1080i) DVB-T TV signals.

I've not had any problems with the odd MKV file I've tried or Blu-ray discs which, I believe, have all been progressive. For those, it works as advertised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom