User experience with AMD 780G and MediaPortal (4 Viewers)

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Kszabo, I think you are misleading a bit. Yes it is true that with 780G integrated and 64x2 (dual core) you cannot get Vector Adaptive hardware deinterlacing, but for many Motion Adaptive will be enough.

Thanx for the correction, you are (also) right. But I think the best you get with a X2 for 1080i is bob (CCC allows adaptive but this did not work for me with my X2). Motion or vector adaptive is even greyed out in CCC. I did not say that you won´t have a picture of 1080i but it will be far from perfect with a X2. I just wanted to warn people before they build a HTPC with the false CPU.

I had a X2 BE-2400 and updated to a Phenom because the 1080i HDTV picture quality was simply not sufficient. Once Phenom in, 1080i picture simply wonderful.

huckster2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I had a X2 BE-2400 and updated to a Phenom because the 1080i HDTV picture quality was simply not sufficient. Once Phenom in, 1080i picture simply wonderful.

So if I went from a X2 to a Phenom, would I need to replace my DDR2 800Mhz ram with 1033 stuff....?

jo16v

Portal Pro
    August 23, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanx for the correction, you are (also) right. But I think the best you get with a X2 for 1080i is bob (CCC allows adaptive but this did not work for me with my X2). Motion or vector adaptive is even greyed out in CCC. I did not say that you won´t have a picture of 1080i but it will be far from perfect with a X2. I just wanted to warn people before they build a HTPC with the false CPU.

I am afraid that is not correct- I get motion adaptive with 64X2 5000+ and 3200 HD integrated. I think you either have to set Catalyst to either none, or auto for deinterlace settings. In CCC you have to uncheck automatic deinterlacing and select motion adaptive (or vector adaptive if you have it).

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If you disable Aero on Vista you get more deinterlacing options with an x2 and 780G but you could get tearing when using EVR.

I decided to upgrade to a dedicated GFX card (Gigabyte HD4550, passive) instead of a Phenom (this was also cheaper) and now 1080i deinterlacing also looks great. See my signature for more details about my setup. Added bonus is the 7.1 sound through HDMI and i've read that the HD4550 can take full advantage of bluray's dual-stream, picture in picture capabilities.

jo16v

Portal Pro
    August 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Would 780G + 4850E + Win XP not be a good package?

EDIT: Sorry I confused your 4850E processor with 4850 graphics card.:oops:

According to this thread, there is a registry hack to get vector adaptive with 780G IN Vista (also in 3450/3470?)- they mention something about whether it works in XP, but I can't fully understand it (the thread is in German).

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    there is a registry hack to get vector adaptive with 780G IN Vista
    Yes, there is. But the fact that you can activate motion adaptive deinterlacing etc does not mean that you get it! your system will break down with an X2 CPU with 1080i with motion adaptive (stutter, freeze, dropped frames etc)! That you can set "motion adaptive" deinterlacing in CCC does not mean that your 1080i will be motion adaptive deinterlaced, I am sorry for you. You will get motion adaptive deinterlacing only for SD material and maybe bob for 1080i.

the 1st question was: is a 780G/HD3200 good for a HTPC? Yes, it is. And if you want good picture quality for 1080i, you need a Phenom (because of HT 3.0 RAM controller of it, not because of CPU power). Otherwise an X2 is also OK (for e.g. 1080p)

A dedicated GFX is a better solution instead of a Phenom (1. cheaper, 2. better 3d performance, 3. better audio support over HDMI), but the first question looses its meaning. You can buy a motehrboard what you want, you don´t need 780G/HD3200 then. And this would be off topic then (see title!)

jo16v

Portal Pro
    August 23, 2008
    Home Country
    there is a registry hack to get vector adaptive with 780G IN Vista
    Yes, there is. But the fact that you can activate motion adaptive deinterlacing etc does not mean that you get it! your system will break down with an X2 CPU with 1080i with motion adaptive (stutter, freeze, dropped frames etc)! That you can set "motion adaptive" deinterlacing in CCC does not mean that your 1080i will be motion adaptive deinterlaced, I am sorry for you. You will get motion adaptive deinterlacing only for SD material and maybe bob for 1080i.
    I don't get any stutter, freeze or dropped frames- but this is using ffdshow, not cyberlink - yes this means high CPU usage 40-50%. I don't see why it why it wouldn't work with Cyberlink w/DXVA though.

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    here is a test from an another forum: X2 vs Phenom:

Aktuelles Testset ist XP SP2/CCC 8.5/PDVD 7.3/DVBV 3.9.4.0/Renderer Unchanged, DXVA-Verfügbarkeit verifiziert mit DXVAChecker

Abkürzungen für Deinterlacer: B - Bob, A - Adaptiv, MA - Motion Adaptiv - VA - Vektor Adaptiv, in Klammer die Auflösung, bis zu welcher die Deinterlacingmethode unterstützt wird (576, 720, 1080)

1.) AMD 4050e (B, A und MA verfügbar)
    a.) CCC-Deinterlacing auf Auto: Verfügbare Deinterlacer sind B(1080), A(576) und MA(576)
    Deinterlacer kommt bei einigen Kanalwechsel sd<->hd aus dem tritt, bis sich DXVA komplett deaktiviert. Vermutung liegt nahe, dass bei einem 1080i-Sender auf Bob geswitcht wird (mehr geht auch laut DXVAChecker nicht) und nie mehr zurück
    b.) CCC-Deinterlacing fix auf A oder MA: Verfügbare Deinterlacer sind nun (je nach Wahl) A(1080) und MA(1080)
    Anscheinend wird der Modus durch CCC erzwungen, nur fehlt definitiv die Speicherbandbreite, um das Deinterlacing stabil durchzuführen (läuft oftmals lange recht gut bei 1080i, manchmal aber doch kleinere Ruckler, anscheinend ist der Deinterlacer limitiert durch den HT 2.0 Link der CPU (1 GHz)

2.) Phenom X3 8450 (B, A, MA und VA verfügbar)
    a.) CCC-Deinterlacing auf Auto: Verfügbare Deinterlacer sind B(1080), A(1080), MA(1080) und VA(1080)
    Deinterlacer läuft absolut stabil mit VA (Laufschriften absolut stabil und ohne Ruckler) und in jeder HD-Auflösung (720p- und 1080i- Sender) sowie SDTV, keine Probleme bei Kanalwechsel, vermutlich aufgrund der fast doppelten Speicherbandbreite des HT 3.0 Link der K10-CPU (1,8 GHz)
    b.) CCC-Deinterlacing fix auf VA: Verhalten wie 2a

Zusammenfassend liegt die Vermutung nahe, dass man mit K8-CPUs definitiv immer Probleme mit DXVA aufgrund der limitierten Speicherbandbreite haben wird, ob da noch was durch Treiberoptimierungen geht, steht in den Sternen. Pervers finde ich am Rande, dass sich der Phenom ja noch mehr fadisiert bei aktiviertem DXVA als der 4050e (fast immer im Leerlauf), nur der Memory-Controller des Phenoms macht eben den Unterschied

I translate for you:
    the guy tested the available deinterlacer wit X2 and Phenom and verified which deinterlacing is used with DXVAChecker.
    1.) AMD 4050e (Bob, Adaptive und MotionAdaptive available)
    a.) CCC-Deinterlacing set to Auto: Available Deinterlacer are Bob(1080), Adaptive(576) und MotionAdaptive(576)
    2.) Phenom X3 8450 (Bob, Adaptive, MotionAdaptive und VectorAdaptive available)
    a.) CCC-Deinterlacing set to Auto: available Deinterlacer are Bob(1080), Adaptive(1080), MotionAdaptive(1080) und VectorAdaptive(1080)

@jov12v: If you are happy with the bob deinterlacing of your 1080i material and think it is adaptive deinterlaced, I don´t care. And there is no way to playback 1080i with an AMD X2 5000+ with ffdshow with 50% CPU usage. It won't cope with real 1080i withou stutter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom