User experience with AMD 780G and MediaPortal (2 Viewers)

svtpickemup

January 20, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have another issue with my S2HP board running Vista x86 with MP 1.0. In Bios, I have sleep set to S1. In power settings, I have it set up to never sleep nor hibernate. It is connected to a Sony Bravia LCD.

It seems when I turn off the TV, and then come back, the screen is black. No amount of keyboard pressing or remote pressing will get the picture back. The computer is clearly still on, I can see the HDD light on intermittenly.

Is there another setting I need to do with this board? It seems if I turn off the TV, the HDMI handshake is gone and is causing my problem. This did not happen previously on an Asus P5 board.

I had an issue with no HDMI audio if the TV was turned off or switched inputs.

The fix was to disable the ATI Event Handler (or something like that - not in front of my HTPC right now) process.

Maybe this would fix your issue, too?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Another fix for the HDMI handshake is gefen DVI detective / or DVI doctor.

I had a gefen when i was using vista, and i can verify this fixes the problem.

You could also try using a program (i forget the name, i think it's called power...??..) to change the refresh rate from 59->60 or vice versa, then program it to a keyboard/remote shortcut, then use this key to wake up the display.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

HAVE A QUESTION FOR THE CODEC GURUS
    _____________________________________________________________________________________

My Setup - Mediaportal / Latest PDVD8 Ultra / HD3200 / XP SP3 / HVR 2200

My Problem - I can use H.A. (hardware acceleration) fine for DVB-T H264 progressive broadcasts, but when i use H.A. for interlaced channels (ie TV3 = 1080i) i get problems with the picture.

My Question:

Is there a way to still using hardware acceleration of the H264 DVB-T signal, but use software deinterlacing?

ny888

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 16, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Another fix for the HDMI handshake is gefen DVI detective / or DVI doctor.

I had a gefen when i was using vista, and i can verify this fixes the problem.

You could also try using a program (i forget the name, i think it's called power...??..) to change the refresh rate from 59->60 or vice versa, then program it to a keyboard/remote shortcut, then use this key to wake up the display.

ATI support has been useless endlessly giving me recommendations to update my drivers. For now, I've gotten around it using some of the suggestions from this forum. It's patch work but at least it's transparent to the wife so the WAF is back.

I'm using the program HDMIon to re-initiate the HDMI handshake. I've programmed my Harmony remote to run the program every time it switches to the HTPC input.

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Is there a way to still using hardware acceleration of the H264 DVB-T signal, but use software deinterlacing?

I think NO. The other way around is possible (use software codec and let hardware do the deinterlacing only, e.g. CoreAVC set to "deinterlace - hardware" or ffdshow set "output - set interlace flag in output...")

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    side note - i've noticed that catalyst 8.12 improves the hardware acceleration of 1080i h264 DVB-T (Win XP) compared to previous versions.

huckster2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    side note - i've noticed that catalyst 8.12 improves the hardware acceleration of 1080i h264 DVB-T (Win XP) compared to previous versions.

Some improvement, but not enough for me. Finally found time to upgrade to 1.0 and install an NVidia card. Am watching TV as I type to see if I get the same stuttering problem as I've had with ATi.

[EDIT] Well TV works fine. When there's a minor signal glitch it just stumbles on unlike the looping with the onboard graphics. HW acceleration with NZ's 1080i DVB-T. Hooray.

Not too keen on the Blue3 skin so tried the Blue3Retro. This seems to cause problems and I've had a few blue-screens. Sigh.

jo16v

Portal Pro
    August 23, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hardware acceleration working fine here with PDVD 7.3 and 8.12. 8.12 also fixes the browser lag problem for XP.

Am watching TV as I type to see if I get the same stuttering problem as I've had with ATi.

[EDIT] Well TV works fine. When there's a minor signal glitch it just stumbles on unlike the looping with the onboard graphics. HW acceleration with NZ's 1080i DVB-T. Hooray.

Not too keen on the Blue3 skin so tried the Blue3Retro. This seems to cause problems and I've had a few blue-screens. Sigh.

Was the stuttering happening when you type? There is a glitch in the early Gigabyte 780G boards that causes interference from the keyboard signal unless USB Keyboard support is enabled in BIOS.

huckster2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Was the stuttering happening when you type? There is a glitch in the early Gigabyte 780G boards that causes interference from the keyboard signal unless USB Keyboard support is enabled in BIOS.

Nope. Stuttering was there when just sitting watching. I don't think my signal strength/quality is great but so far the Nvidia seems to keep playing whereas the HD3200 would loop badly. This seems to follow experience in NZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom