User experience with AMD 780G and MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

jo16v

Portal Pro
August 23, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@jov12v: If you are happy with the bob deinterlacing of your 1080i material and think it is adaptive deinterlaced, I don´t mind.
To get motionadaptive you have to output only NV12 (or maybe YUV2) colorspace- in ffdshow you also have to set interlace flag to auto. DXVA checker shows motion adaptive is possible on my 3200 HD up to 1920x1080 (with 64x2 5000+).

@jo16v: If you are happy with the bob deinterlacing of your 1080i material and think it is adaptive deinterlaced, I don´t care. And there is no way to playback 1080i with an AMD X2 5000+ with ffdshow with 50% CPU usage. It won't cope with real 1080i withou stutter.
OK, sorry but there has been much progress with ffdshow recently- it is a rival for Core AVC (except it is free:D). I am getting actually less than 50, average around 47% on BBC HD 1080i 16Mbps. With Luxe HD 1080i 7.5Mbps I get average 41%, no frames dropped and 50 frame rate. You have to set output to only NV12, set interlace flag in output media type and set to auto- hardware deinterlacing is then enabled. You also have to use VMR7 or Overlay renderer (in XP at least).

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    This is the EDID handshake failing. Apparently it is fixed with one of the later version of driver.

Thank you. I have installed 8.12 of CCC which appears to be the latest Vista driver but issue is there.

I've logged a ticket with ATI - waiting for response.

There are other solutions.

1. Hardware - Buy a gefen DVI Detective (or DVI Doctor) - I was using this with Vista and it fixed the problem. Have since sold it because I am now using XP for HTPC.

2. There is a program, I think it is called EDID ON or similar. Try google it. I can't remember how it works, but i think it constantly sends EDID info to keep the monitor active even when u turn off the tv.

But i had the feeling that this was fixed. Try go into control panel -> system devices -> change the power management for the video card.

ny888

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 16, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have downloaded HDMIon and it does work. I placed a shortcut to the program as the first shortcut in the quick launch list and can hit Windows-1 on my wireless keyboard to wake it up. Now I just need to get an IR keyboard so I can train my Harmony remote to send the command.

jo16v

Portal Pro
    August 23, 2008
    Home Country
    @jo16v: If you are happy with the bob deinterlacing of your 1080i material and think it is adaptive deinterlaced, I don´t care. And there is no way to playback 1080i with an AMD X2 5000+ with ffdshow with 50% CPU usage. It won't cope with real 1080i withou stutter.
    OK, here are screenshots:

DXVA checker on HD 3200 (780G) and AMD 64x2 5000+

dxvacheck164x25000.jpg

dxvacheck264x25000.jpg

Screenshot from DVBViewer showing Luxe TV HD 1080i 7.5Mbps- no frames dropped, near 50fps average framerate, 40% CPU usage for DVBViewer:

luxehdvrm7ffdshow.jpg

FFDshow settings for hardware deinterlace:

ffdshowhardwaredeinterlace.jpg

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Slightly off topic, but been watching this thread with interest.....

Does that mean you need ffdshow to convert from your input colourspace (probably YV12 for most x264 content) to NV12 to get this to work? Is that what ffdshow is doing here?

BTW, surprised ffdshow calls NV12 a packed format. According to this site it is planar. http://www.fourcc.org/yuv.php

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    DXVA capabilities of HD3200 - deinterlace

Hi,

here is my screenshot of DXVA Checker: 780G/HD3200 + Phenom X3 8450 + Vista + Catalyst 8.12

As you see there are some more options. This is without any ATi registry hack. But I am still not sure that this readings and CCC settings really apply to reallity.

and remember DXVA2 is available only with Vista!!! XP has DXVA1 support only.

jo16v
    The approach that you managed to decode 1080i in software mode (CPU) and let GPU to deinterlace it is a very nice idea! I tried that before with my 690G/x1250 system (coreAVC as codec, deinterlace set to "hardware") but that did not work at all (I guess the x1250 was far to weak).

Still back to the oiginal question:
    - best picture quality with the HD3200 you get with deactivating it and put a dedicated GFX-Card inside :)
    - alternatively use a Phenom , this will improve pic quality because of better DXVA-postprocessing-deinterlacing options
    - or try a powerful X2 in software mode as jo16v

A dedicated GFX has several advantages over Phenom upgrade:
    - cheaper as a Phenom (HD4350 ~40 €)
    - better sound over HDI (up to 7.1)
    - you have all your RAM (no sharedmemory)
    - better 3d performance (gaming)

Attachments

• dxva_hd3200_phenom.jpg
      dxva_hd3200_phenom.jpg
      48.7 KB

boxbooster

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi there,

I didn`t read the complete threat and therefore I am not sure if this has been already discussed before. However, I just want to post my latest experience with this Board.

I had problems for month (bluescreens called "driver IRQ not less or equal", "stop" or simply "IRQ not less or equal"). These came up especially when runnig graphic intense processes but also sometimes when the computer was in idle mode. I always suspected my MDT ram beeing the source of these issues or even a hardware defect on the board.

Now I identified the problem which was caused by my KNC-ONE DVB-S TV-Station card. Its neither the driver nor the card itself but rather the pci slot I decided to put it in. The problematic one is the slot next to the pcie. Now I put it in the outmost slot and what shall I say - the system runs perfect!

This was really stupid of me because it is so obvious that the above named issues derive from an IRQ conflict. Seems like the internal HD3200 uses the same BUS/IRQ than the first PCI slot.

Recomendation for you if you have similar problems: change the pci-slot by the following procedure: take off the card, start the PC without the card into windows, shutdown the pc and then put the card in the outmost slot.

Hope this will help someone!

Bye!

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Just to specify: You don't need a Phenom CPU, but a HT3 capable CPU. These are now also available in dualcore (Kuma). I believe that the 7750BE is the only one released. It is cheaper than a Phenom.

jo16v

Portal Pro
    August 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi,

here is my screenshot of DXVA Checker: 780G/HD3200 + Phenom X3 8450 + Vista + Catalyst 8.12

As you see there are some more options. This is without any ATi registry hack. But I am still not sure that this readings and CCC settings really apply to reallity.

and remember DXVA2 is available only with Vista!!! XP has DXVA1 support only.
    OK, now I'm going to throw a spanner in the works. After I upgraded to 8.12 Catalyst (from 8.10 leaked version) I get almost the same results as you with DXVAChecker except it says vector adaptive is possible with 1920x1080 with only a 5000+ and 780G!!!! :mad: But in the actual CCC only Adaptive is availiable to select?

(i) Does anyone understand the reason for this?

(ii) Is DXVA Checker reliable?

(iii) Does Cyberlink h.264/AVC decoder output NV12?

(iv)
    Is there a way to check what deinterlacing method is being used?

dxvachecker780g812cata.jpg

dxvachecker780g812catb.jpg

dxvachecker780g812catc.jpg

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Just to specify: You don't need a Phenom CPU, but a HT3 capable CPU. These are now also available in dualcore (Kuma). I believe that the 7750BE is the only one released. It is cheaper than a Phenom.

Crippled Phenom on 65nm with a TDP of 95W?

Thats more than double of my 4850E :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom