[solved] User Interface HDMI audio to AVR not working or cut (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I thought that the availability of GUI sounds depends on your audio output devices?

With my previous TV, I used analogue audio output from the HTPC to an analogue audio amplifier, and GUI sound effects worked fine.

With the TV that I purchased earlier this year, I use HDMI digital audio from the HTPC to the TV, and then analogue audio output from the TV to the audio amplifier. With this arrangement, GUI sound effects do not work properly. Short GUI sounds are completely missing, while long GUI sounds (this is with the Amped skin) are mostly truncated (I hear just the last few milliseconds).

Reading the MP fora suggested that this is caused by one the digital processors in the signal path (HTPC, TV, or digital amplifier) switching itself off when there is no signal, and taking some number of milliseconds to restart when the next signal arrives. So the first few milliseconds of each GUI sound effect are missing. Since you have not posted details of your HTPC system, it is difficult to know whether this is applicable to you.

I decided to disable GUI sound effects.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
    Did you try http://www.marcsapps.co.uk AVR Audio Guard for your HDMI sound issue?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Did you try http://www.marcsapps.co.uk AVR Audio Guard for your HDMI sound issue?
    I did not find a solution when I scanned the fora about this problem (this was several months ago), so I put this issue on the "back burner" for attention at some future time.

Thank you very much for suggesting this solution; I have made a note of it, and will look into it next year to see if it will work with my setup. :)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have no navigation sounds. So pressing up, down, left, right, enter etc. makes no sound anymore. I do have sound when playing music, movies etc
    Omg....
    Did a complete fresh install of windows 10 home. Installed drivers and MediaPortal. No GUI sounds......
    Hi, you mentioned that you wanted to open another thread for this problem.

It is not generic since all my systems run on Win 10 and I do have GUI sounds. But I suggest that we take a closer look into this elsewhere.

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I thought that the availability of GUI sounds depends on your audio output devices?

With my previous TV, I used analogue audio output from the HTPC to an analogue audio amplifier, and GUI sound effects worked fine.

With the TV that I purchased earlier this year, I use HDMI digital audio from the HTPC to the TV, and then analogue audio output from the TV to the audio amplifier. With this arrangement, GUI sound effects do not work properly. Short GUI sounds are completely missing, while long GUI sounds (this is with the Amped skin) are mostly truncated (I hear just the last few milliseconds).

Reading the MP fora suggested that this is caused by one the digital processors in the signal path (HTPC, TV, or digital amplifier) switching itself off when there is no signal, and taking some number of milliseconds to restart when the next signal arrives. So the first few milliseconds of each GUI sound effect are missing. Since you have not posted details of your HTPC system, it is difficult to know whether this is applicable to you.

I decided to disable GUI sound effects.

This is the solution!!!! Thank you :)

Only curious why windows 7 didn't have this issue[DOUBLEPOST=1450548984][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I have no navigation sounds. So pressing up, down, left, right, enter etc. makes no sound anymore. I do have sound when playing music, movies etc
    Omg....
    Did a complete fresh install of windows 10 home. Installed drivers and MediaPortal. No GUI sounds......
    Hi, you mentioned that you wanted to open another thread for this problem.

It is not generic since all my systems run on Win 10 and I do have GUI sounds. But I suggest that we take a closer look into this elsewhere.
    No need for a new thread anymore, problem is solved

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Only curious why windows 7 didn't have this issue

Glad that solved your problem.
    Different driver architecture I guess. Windows 8/10 have had a lot of improvements to save power and battery life. Stopping sound output when nothing is played is part of that I guess.
    Though the audio driver itself could be to blame as well cause I was having that same issue on Windows 7.
    I'm going to move those posts to a support thread.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Shame that guy did not publish his source code:
    https://community.amd.com/thread/185767

AVR Audio Guard developer was on MP forum but has not been seen for a while. Maybe we could ask the Sound Switch community to integrate such feature.

The problem really lies with AVR rather than with Windows or driver so I'm afraid it won't ever get fixed.

Most AVR are just not designed for this kind of use case. AVR manufacturers thought it was acceptable to loose the first few seconds when audio input starts.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If this really bothers you, a possible solution might be to try modifying the WAV audio file that MP uses. Perhaps add a little bit of silence at the start? ...or maybe convert it to 5.1 channel so that the AVR does not have to switch modes?

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The problem really lies with AVR rather than with Windows or driver so I'm afraid it won't ever get fixed.

If it works on Windows 7 (in my situation) it should work with every windows version imo.

So it is also a windows/amd/nvidia/intel issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom