Using the Hauppauge remote with MP (1 Viewer)

snorre

Portal Member
April 23, 2004
tomtom21000: I think I might know what you're problem is, I have similar problems with MP flashing and then disappearing. In my case it turned out that it had to do with the starting directory. MP wants to be started from its own directory, and the Hauppauge IR-program uses its own directory as starting directory. So what I did was making a .bat-file that I assigned to the yellow button. The .bat-file:

Code:
cd\
cd "Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal"
start MediaPortal.exe
exit

I namned the .bat-file mprun.bat i put in c:\ just to be sure... Anyway this works for me, but a sleaker solution would be preferable.

talos

Portal Pro
August 24, 2004
UK
One sleeker solution coming up :D
Create a shortcut to MediaPortal.exe. This will point to the MediaPortal directory as the start directory. Now all you do is point to the shortcut in your irremote.ini, not forgetting to use .lnk as the extension.
For instance, I have created a shortcut to media portal called mp, and assigned it to the blue button, therefore i have :
BLUE={run(..\teamme~1\mediap~1\mp.lnk)}

A

Anonymous

I have been trying on and off for more than a month to get my Hauppauge remote control (pvr250) to work with MP but so far no luck. I know pretty much (i think) how the config ini file works but I can't get the remote to work with MP.

I also followed this tutorial, but no luck because:

[Media Portal]
CHNLUP={UP}
CHNLDOWN={DOWN}
VOLUP={RIGHT}
VOLDOWN={LEFT}
OK={enter}
BACK={esc}
MENU=y

0=0
1=1
2=2
3=3
4=4
5=5
6=6
7=7
8=8
9=9
RED={f1}
GREEN={PGUP}
YELLOW={f3}
BLUE={PGDN}
FULLSCREEN=x
STOP=b
PAUSE={space}
PLAY=p
REWIND={f5}
FASTFWD={f6}
SKIPFWD={f8}
SKIPREV={f7}
GRNPOWER={alt}{f4}
FUNC=m
GO={home}
REC=
MUTE=

Here in the tutorial the window name defined at the beginning is
'Media Portal'

my window always displays 'Media Portal - [release]' (as I'm sure it does for everybody :) )

so the window name i put here should be something like this:

[Media Portal - [release]]

Am I right thinking that the '[' from the windowname conflict with the ' [' used by the ini file? Because the remote just doesn't work with MP, it works fine for all the other programs i configured it for except MP. Anyone else had this problem when following the tutorial? Or does this tutorial work fine for everybody but me?
:wink:

Cheers

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Esteban: It is not the window title!

My hauppauge remote still works - fullscreen or windowed.

Maybe you have missed a little thing in the ini. For example there has to be an entry right at the first lines of the ini.
    Try the file Flip provided to test or to compare. The file might also be somewhere in a mediaportal subfolder.

tomtom21000

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Esteban,

hmmm, i haven't even recognized, that the title of the window changed. My remote works still fine with MP. So the problem must be somewhere else on your system....

Did you do this?

[Applications]
    Default=
    Windows Media Player=
    ActiveMovie Window=
    Media Portal=

Where do you insert the code in the ini file? Did you use "Restart IR" after you made the changes?

Flip.

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot for the quick responses! I tried the things you both mention. I inserted the code at the bottom of the ini and I inserted the Media Portal= in [Applications]

The remote not working got me so 'worked up' that I decided to do a ' format c:\' I'm re-installing XP as we speak :p

Update: The reinstall did the trick. Apparently my system was the problem. Why or how I don't know, other apps worked fine before except MP but the remote now works like a charm in MP! Just using the [Media Portal] 'tag'. Like droopy says: I'm happy! 8)

Thanks

mama

Portal Pro
    May 31, 2004
    Germany
    Thanks a lot for this guide! I didn´t like Girder that much, so I´m glad to use my remote now without it.

Here´s my little HowTo, to start the PC with the remote from off/hibernate/standby:

First thing you need is a IR keyboard. I use this one. It´s cheap and small and fits all needs.

Second is a learneable remote. I use one like the Philips SBCRU885/00.

In the BIOS of most actual mainboards, you can set a password for system start. If you there set a single number, i.e. "1", you can start your PC by simply pressing the "1" on your keyboard.

Now you learn this "1" to your remote. With the makro function of the philips, you can learn more commands to one button, so you can start your PC and your TV at the same time.

At the moment, I´m using the off button in MP to shutdown the PC. But I´m sure it should be possible to set the "shutdown.exe" in the remote.ini. So you can specify a button on your Hauppauge remote to shutdown, hibernate or standby your PC using the parameters of shutdown.exe and learn this button to your other remote. I´ll take a look into this at the weekend.

Another way is to use Girder with the Hauppauge plugin. There you can set a system command on any button of your remote.

For german users, I recommend TVMovies Clickfinder for EPG. It costs 9,90€/year, but is very handy. I´ve set it to download the data on every system start in the background. Then I´ve made a batch file to let TVMovie2XMLTV output the tvdata.xml in the MP folder and after that rename it to tvguide. This batch file is in the autostart folder and set to start minimized.

Also I´ve made a screenshot of MP and have set it as background of my desktop. The taskbar is invisible. So if MP had the possibility to switch off the splash screen, you wouldn´t see MP starting anymore. ;)[/url]

A

Anonymous

Ok, now I am confused :)

Is this only possible with a remote like the Philips and not with the standart Hauppauge one?

mama

Portal Pro
    May 31, 2004
    Germany
    No, unfortunately not with the Hauppauge, because you can´t teach it a command from the keyboard.

A

Anonymous

And I guess the reason why you can't use the remote is because the pci-port which the hauppauge card uses is "sleeping"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom