Vista 6.0 (build 6000) not supported (1 Viewer)

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You can not judge the amount of free ram in Windows 7 as a measure of how much ram you can use. W7 will use available unused ram as a cache and will gladly free it up if someone requests it. This confuses many people saying that W7 is a resource hogger, but this is wrong. It just uses HW you are not using to speed up tasks that will be coming (e.g. starting applications). This can be turned off (somehow) but I would not recommend.

Additionally I would NEVER go back to Vista as it clearly is inferior to W7 in many ways. Try to measure performance and not monitor artifical counters like used mem and you will see W7 should beat Vista in almost any situation.

RitterChristian

July 8, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    You can not judge the amount of free ram in Windows 7 as a measure of how much ram you can use. W7 will use available unused ram as a cache and will gladly free it up if someone requests it. This confuses many people saying that W7 is a resource hogger, but this is wrong. It just uses HW you are not using to speed up tasks that will be coming (e.g. starting applications). This can be turned off (somehow) but I would not recommend.

Additionally I would NEVER go back to Vista as it clearly is inferior to W7 in many ways. Try to measure performance and not monitor artifical counters like used mem and you will see W7 should beat Vista in almost any situation.

Hi again,

thanks for your answers! Sure you're right, and I won't doubt that, but I realized that I didn't tell the full story. Under 7, I experienced some strange lags and hangups of the mouse cursor (and in general), which I could roughly pinpoint to drivers.
    Especially the ATI-Drivers (I got a Fusion APU btw) seem to have gotten worse over the years, and on mobile chips, they are just of a horrifyingly bad quality. What a letdown, I used to use ATI for years (but that just on a side note).

The ATI-support team just told me to basically reinstall my OS and all drivers, which I'll have to try.

I think I will restore to W7 (luckily I made a Paragon backup of it) and then reinstall the drivers as suggested. Maybe then it will work.

Thanks for your help so far, and also a big thank-you for delivering such a great MediaCenter app!

Best Regards,
    chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

This may or may not be a pause, after all, this is a playlist, it can constantly change, I don’t very well understand the mechanism of working with playlists in online broadcasts. Well, here you need to look at what is happening in the Media Portal player. And find someone who understands how it works.
    This may or may not be a pause, after all, this is a playlist, it can constantly change, I don’t very well understand the mechanism...
    I am running the latest "any cpu" version of the Radio Time plugin with MP 1.33 x64 which is working well except some of my...
    Replies
    Views
    I've setup my HDHomeRun in MP1 as (4) IPTV cards rather than Atsc. I can see the (4) Atsc cards, but just have them disabled. I did it this way so I didn't have to edit the channel names every time tested a new TV-server install. Anyway, it works. I don't know if this would get you past the BDA driver issue. I'll provide more...
    I've setup my HDHomeRun in MP1 as (4) IPTV cards rather than Atsc. I can see the (4) Atsc cards, but just have them disabled. I...
    I am brand new to MediaPortal. I have installed MP 2.4.1 on Windows 10. It is a fresh install and fully up to date. I have an...
    Replies
    Views
    Hi, First off: there are some issues with the latest Mediaportal (32bits vs 64bits), so that is one of the issues you're stumbling with. If you take the previous version (1.31) it should work as expected. For IPTV there is also a different option (with different pros and cons): Onlinevideos. I'm using that sometimes for my IPTV as...
    Hi, First off: there are some issues with the latest Mediaportal (32bits vs 64bits), so that is one of the issues you're stumbling...
    Hi I am trying to play a m3u file from my IPTV provider, but when I try to install the TV part of Media Portal v1.3.2 I get an...
    Replies
    Views
    OK, I found a way to make it work. It seems like MP-TV-series Configuration (and Moving Pictures Configuration) starts as Administrator, and the Administrator do not have yet logged in on the UNC \\192.168.222.247\Public even if the normal user on the PC have done it. So to fix it on the Win 11 HTPC: Created a shortcut to...
    OK, I found a way to make it work. It seems like MP-TV-series Configuration (and Moving Pictures Configuration) starts as...
    Hi! I was running MP1.33 x64 and I was fine and happy since many years, then the hard drive on the HTPC died. But I was able to...
    Replies
    Views
    Works also, removed the "section" entry from MediaPortal.xml ;) (y)
    Works also, removed the "section" entry from MediaPortal.xml ;) (y)
    This plugin is alternate version to the original World Weather plugin developed by @Micropolis. Is compatible with MediaPortal...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom