Vista vs. XP - please post your pros/cons (1 Viewer)

grubi

Portal Pro
June 16, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
If you can REALLY see any difference on a 19" LCD I'll be amazed ;)

You might be right but I reckon it looks much nicer on HD content, just more fluid and less tearing etc. On MPEG2 SD you might not notice.

Hmm.
Esp on HD content I cannot imaging where the difference in PQ should come from. If you have 1080p content displayed on a native 1080p display there is no scaling and no deinterlacing involved. If colorspace mapping works correct what else will have any influence on PQ?

I noticed that on Vista with EVR CPU load seems to be a bit lower than on XP with VMR but where is the point if CPU load on playback on all content never raises above 40% at all on XP.

I just ran the Vista setup for over a week now and currently I'm restoring the XPSP3 image. As I said no difference in PQ which should be noticably on a big display. What is also ugly that I have occasional hiccups on playback. This does not happen very often (one or two times an hour) but I do not get this on XP and so I'm back to it. If Vista SP2 is out (scheduled for April AFAIK) I will give it another try.

mcraenz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmm.
    Esp on HD content I cannot imaging where the difference in PQ should come from. If you have 1080p content displayed on a native 1080p display there is no scaling and no deinterlacing involved. If colorspace mapping works correct what else will have any influence on PQ?
    Actually 1080i broadcast TV. It's ok. Just my opinion that EVR under vista looks much nicer. Of course it could be all in my head! In any case I've not had a single bit of trouble with vista so no reason to go back to xp.

damaster

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hmm.
    Actually 1080i broadcast TV. It's ok. Just my opinion that EVR under vista looks much nicer. Of course it could be all in my head! In any case I've not had a single bit of trouble with vista so no reason to go back to xp.

Agreed. Vista with EVR looks better. And in my opinion, once Vista is tweaked and downsized with vLite, it actually performs better than XP and is pretty damn stable.

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hmm.

If that would be the case here I also would not have gone back to XP. But all tweaking did not solve the problems I have. For me it still seems that real time cpabilites of Vista are worse than those of XP. I know I'm very picky when it comes to quality but that damn hickups esp. on TV and on playback of HD from shares (although they occur rarely) made me go back to XP.

Hmm.

Agreed. Vista with EVR looks better. And in my opinion, once Vista is tweaked and downsized with vLite, it actually performs better than XP and is pretty damn stable.

Vista runs also very stable here esp. standby seems to be more robust. Can you explain what looks better with EVR, when it comes to deinterlacing the whole thing is done by the graphic card? The only thing I can imagine is scaling but again this only applies for content not matching the native display resolution.

Keep in mind that if you remove any components by vLite you have a good chance that applying future service packs on you machine will fail. IMHO not desirable.

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland

Yes, I'm running TinyVista rev02 and I haven't noticed any performance issues compared to XP (which I ran couple of years).

damaster

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Keep in mind that if you remove any components by vLite you have a good chance that applying future service packs on you machine will fail. IMHO not desirable.

Yes, I am well aware of this. However, service packs are bloated as well. So when SP1 for Vista came out, I streamlined it into an ISO and ran that whole package through vLite to strip it down to the bare essentials. So in fact I am running Vista with SP1, but a very lightweight version of it and it works beautifully.

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland

And new service packs won't be released that often that this would be a problem :) When it happens, a new clean install can be done anyway with version that has new a SP integrated.

Vimes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2009
    Earth, for now
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

Yes, I'm running TinyVista rev02 and I haven't noticed any performance issues compared to XP (which I ran couple of years).

The TinyVista 02 - does MP 1.0 run ok considering that the media centre is removed from that build..? Or does MP not have any dependencies or needs on a media center being a part of the operating system it is installed on..?

I take it that a home network will also run ok on that build, I'm just a little wary having just read what has been removed :eek:

poppabk

Portal Pro
    August 8, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I am running on Vista business without issue and that also lacks the mediacenter part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom