WALL-E Region B BluRay disc playing issues (1 Viewer)

chris123

Portal Pro
May 31, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi mm,

Thanks for the v4 dll. Sorry I have not had chance to test tonight, will try it tomorrow and report back.

With the test 5 (LAV + MadVR) result I *think* it was about the same as previously, perhaps slightly better. Certainly MadVR does not seem to work well on my HTPC, and the unstable / unresponsive behaviour was the same between the core.dll versions _ I will check again.

Cheers

Chris

chris123

Portal Pro
May 31, 2008
Home Country
OK, so I decided to take a flyer and replace my onboard Nvidia Geforce 8300 graphics with an Nvidia GT710 graphics card, and <roll on the drums> now I have Blu-ray menus :). Changing the graphics card has however had no effect on the 'media change' issue.

I have tested the core.dll v4 patch with my HTPC with the GT710 card fitted, I have also tested it in my 'desk' pc which is virtually the identical spec to my HTPC with same Blu-ray drive and same onboard Nvidia Geforce 8300 graphics - it has an Asus M3N78 EM motherboard rather than an Asus M3N78 PRO and the main monitor is 1680 * 1050 rather than 1920 * 1080 but there are no other significant differences.

For all the tests I let the Blu-ray get to the main menu, left it on the main menu for 30 seconds, then stopped the Blu-ray and exited MP as quickly as possible.

Behaviour appeared identical to tests 2 to 5 in post 47 of this thread with both onboard 8300 graphics and GT710 graphics - the only difference was that in the final step (display of main menu) the 8300 gave interlaced lines whilst the GT710 gave a readable menu

1. FFDShow with EVR and core.dll v4 -> Displays language selection menu with background image c. 5 seconds later. Progresses ok to main menu.

2. LAV with EVR and core.dll v4 -> Displays language selection menu with no background image. Progresses to main menu.

3.FFDShow with MadVR and core.dll v4 -> Does not get as far as language menu. When menu selected in MP dialog box (Menu / Title 0 / Title 1 / etc) goes to a black screen and stops. Briefly flashes up the menu background when stop pressed on remote control but no other activity.

4. LAV with MadVR and core.dll v4 -> rather unstable / unresponsive, displayed language menu with background image but kept flickering between full screen and a tiny window. It appears that the jump to a tiny window may be triggered by selecting a different menu option (language) with the remote control?

The 8300 graphics will happily play a Blu-ray movie so not sure why it doesn't like the menus.

Cheers

Chris

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks again for all the testing and log files Chris.

Let's put aside the results with MadVR for the moment and focus on the menu ("interlaced lines") issue.

The 8300 graphics will happily play a Blu-ray movie so not sure why it doesn't like the menus.
    Indeed, that is the question!

Given your results with the new GPU, I think it's very likely that I was on completely the wrong track looking at the code.
    I also think it may be no coincidence that both you and @Joaquin experienced these problems when using relatively low power GPUs (8300 and 210 respectively). Perhaps they're simply not powerful enough?

Both Sebastiii and I are not able to reproduce the problem with Joaquin's Up Blu-Ray. I don't know about Sebastiii, but I'm using an ATI HD 4670 with Windows XP.

An additional thought: what happens with LAV + EVR + 8300 if you disable DXVA in the LAV video codec settings?

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    On my side, i have Nvidia (GTX 460) and ATI (5770) and Intel (HD4000) (for different PCs) menu works for sure but it's something odd that some card works (VLC works too on those card ?)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Agreed that's maybe the reason :)

chris123

Portal Pro
    May 31, 2008
    Home Country
    Thank you mm1352000 and Sebastiii for all your help.

I am guessing that the 8300 is missing some 'functionality' rather than just being a 'horsepower' issue - as per post 41 my old laptop with its Radeon Xpress 200M onboard graphics rendered the menu fine (when it eventually got there). Either way its resolved for not much cost, and hopefully will help Joaquin and others.

I tried to run LAV + EVR + 8300 with DXVA disabled (log file attached) - no background image to language menu, and interlaced lines in place of menu text.

Now 'all' I have to do is sort out why the A/V sync with the GT710 is very hit and miss and I'll be in business (plenty of threads here for me to work through (y))

Cheers

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom