WALL-E Region B BluRay disc playing issues (1 Viewer)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Oh :)
    So simple, big thanks, on work PC it works but not at home, will investigate this, surely a plugin broke something at home :p

chris123

Portal Pro
    May 31, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi, me again - it was all going well until I tried another Blu-ray ;).

So, with 'Back to the Future' (Nvidia GT710, W7 x64):

1. With LAV, EVR and core.dll v4 playback freezes about 3 seconds into the initial Universal Studio logo. Only option is to stop playback.

2. With LAV, MadVR and core.dll v4 Blu-ray plays back ok (menus are very slow to respond, still get the flick between full screen and tiny window in menus)

3. With FFDShow, EVR and core.dll v4 you get no video, just the menus. You can hear the audio but no video, even into the main feature.

4. With FFDShow, MadVR and core.dll v4 playback freezes on black screen (same as with UP Blu-ray). Only option is to stop playback.

5. With LAV, EVR and the original 1.16.0 pre release core.dll all playback is fine, including studio logos and main feature.

There is a funny that audio defaults to the first stream (Japanese) even if you select English in the Blu-ray menu, but I can live with changing it using the Mediaportal menu.

I haven't grabbed any logs yet - if you can let me know which of these (and any other) combinations you want logs for and I will grab them. If anything is not clear I can take a video of the screen too if it helps.

Cheers

Chris

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again Chris

...it was all going well until I tried another Blu-ray ;).
    This is pretty much expected. Unfortunately Blu-Ray coding varies enough from unit to unit such that it's entirely possible one will work while another does not.

Okay, let's dive in... :)

1. With LAV, EVR and core.dll v4 playback freezes about 3 seconds into the initial Universal Studio logo. Only option is to stop playback.
    That v4 DLL was intended for debugging, so there's a bit of unnecessary (and potentially problem-causing) cruft in there.

A clean version of the same patch which contains only the changes submitted for inclusion in MP 1.16 final is available here:
    Pre 1.16: Problem with BD-J and external codec video

Please also install this patch:
    BD-J menu bug on Alien blu rays

...and the attached BDReader.ax patch. That'll bring you completely up to speed with the proposed 1.16 final BR handling code. If you have problems with this combination, please provide the usual Watchdog log files plus Java debug file.

2. With LAV, MadVR and core.dll v4 Blu-ray plays back ok (menus are very slow to respond, still get the flick between full screen and tiny window in menus)
    We're still discussing that flick thing. Work in progress; no fix... yet.

3. With FFDShow, EVR and core.dll v4 you get no video, just the menus. You can hear the audio but no video, even into the main feature.
    Hmmm. :(
    Please retest this after applying the patches mentioned above. If you still get no video, please provide Watchdog and Java logs for this too.

4. With FFDShow, MadVR and core.dll v4 playback freezes on black screen (same as with UP Blu-ray). Only option is to stop playback.
    No progress on this combo yet... though I have to say, when I looked at your previous log files, it looked like the combo was working. Might be helpful to have new logs with the Java debug this time.

There is a funny that audio defaults to the first stream (Japanese) even if you select English in the Blu-ray menu, but I can live with changing it using the Mediaportal menu.
    This certainly seems to be the expected behaviour... though whether it's a bug or not, I'm not sure.
    @Sebastiii
    Should it be possible to select the preferred audio (and subtitles) stream through the BD menu, or do you have to do it using the MP menu?

Thanks so much! :)

Attachments

• BDReader [4843 BR dynamic media change].zip
      87.6 KB

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Normally, it should relay on it but somehow sometimes, it doesn't, i'm not sure why but i have the feeling that it's maybe to solution to select best quality (for audio, i.e audio type) that override it, i didn't debug it (at least i have try but when doing that it was working).

upload_2017-2-1_8-8-9.png

The audio type was to select the prefered wanted audio type (for ex if we have DTS and AC3 french, i prefer the AC3 track) maybe that selection should be disable when running the menu.
    I'm not sure it was the root of the issue but maybe :p

Edit : Thank you too :)

Last edited:

chris123

Portal Pro
    May 31, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    First, thank for all your help and hard work. You'll be pleased to see there are no log files attached to this post :)

So, with the latest BDReader, core.dll and jar files:

1. With LAV and EVR works a treat :).

2. With FFDShow and EVR I have a confession to make :oops:. Other than a quick check through I was using FFDShow with the default settings. With your comments that it should be working I checked through properly and spotted that VC-1 was disabled. Change decoder to libavcodec and (surprise!) it works perfectly. Really sorry for wasting your time looking into this.

3. With FFDShow and Mad VR - you guessed it :oops:, with VC-1 decoder set it works fine, bar the flick thing. I am happy with the performance with EVR, but if I wasn't the flick thing wouldn't bother me at all - once the main feature is playing it seems fine.

As far as the language goes, I have set English as the default in MediaPortal config but I still get Japanese DTS (on the Back to the Future Blu-ray) - it looks to me that it is just giving the first language in the list (English DTS is third in the list). Easy enough to switch languages via the MediaPortal menu.

Thanks again for all your help,

Chris

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the update Chris :)

That VC-1 decoder setting is a bit of a "gotcha!". I'll file that away in the memory banks... though with the advent of LAV, I suspect people are not using ffdshow so much these days.

From my side I've been meaning to continue looking at the madVR flicking issue, but every time I go to look at it I seem to run into other problems. As a result, I'm starting to get the feeling that something isn't right. For example, sometimes I'm able to access a menu successfully... but after restarting the same BR (even same MP session) I'll get an MP crash or be dumped back to the MP GUI video list when I try to access the menu again. This inconsistency is really frustrating.

@Sebastiii
    It seems at least some of my errors come from failure to load the JVM:
    [collapse]
    hdmv_vm.c:558: _jump_title(1)
    bluray.c:3445: HDMV event: 3 1
    register.c:420: bd_psr_write(): PSR4 (TITLE_NUMBER) 0x0 -> 0x1
    bluray.c:3095: PSR change: psr4 = 1
    bdj.c:728: bdj_open()
    bdj.c:260: Opening c:\jdk1.7.0_17\jre\bin\server\jvm ...
    bdj.c:718: Failed to create new Java VM. JNI_CreateJavaVM result: -4
    bluray.c:3224: Can't play BD-J title 1
    bluray.c:2056: bd_read(): no valid title selected!
    bluray.c:1644: bd_seek_time(41505174165846492) failed: invalid timestamp
    bluray.c:1541: BLURAY destroyed![/collapse]

The "-4" result (JNI_ENOMEM) seems to mean not enough memory... but I think I have plenty. :confused:
    I tried to attach JDB to get more info but I got zero output. Either I failed to attach JDB properly or the JVM doesn't give any output.
    In desperation I tried doubling the Java heap and stack size to 512 MB and 4 MB, but it didn't help.
    Then I tried halving the heap size to 128 MB... and it seems to work better now (!!!). :confused:
    Do you have any clues about what might be going on?
    Not enough contiguous memory in the application memory space or...???

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    By the way...
    @chris123
    As part of my effort to figure out what's going on in my own setup, I managed to patch and update MP to the bleeding-edge-latest version of libbluray. Since I assume this is the same version used by VLC, I wonder if it might help with the old NVidia 8300 "interlaced lines" issue that you reported. Patch is attached in case you're interested to try it. :)

Attachments

• libbluray latest.zip
      1,005.1 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom