[solved] WARNING: NVidia driver issue since 358.87 (1 Viewer)

Remoteglen

Portal Pro
July 14, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
Can someone explain all this in layman's terms and how it relates to my issue please(n)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Can someone explain all this in layman's terms and how it relates to my issue please(n)
    In the process of its regular operation, MediaPortal receives a notification that your GPU has hung or been removed (refer to the log entry which I previously quoted). This is a critical notification. MP's user interface can't continue to operate in that state. MP tries to recover by resetting the GPU... but that fails. The end result is exactly what you see: the user interface becomes completely non-functional.

We can't see why the GPU has hung or why resetting fails.

Remoteglen

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    is there a way to find out why it is doing it?

What I don't understand is why it only happens on recorded TV.

I have never had the problem with TV series or Movies!

Remoteglen

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi mm

It has happened on different files at different points.

I am using ffdshow video decoder not DXVA,I just tried playing something then and it froze while I was fast forwarding.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It has happened on different files at different points.
    That is understood, but it doesn't really answer my question.
    My question is: if you play the same file again, does the problem recur at the same time/point?
    In other words: I'm trying to understand if the problem is repeatable, and therefore likely to be related to the file or codec... or if it is "random".

It also doesn't answer my other earlier questions at all.
    Different codecs?
    Corruption in recordings?

To flesh these out...
    I'm asking whether you use different codecs for videos and TV.
    I'm asking whether your videos use different video and/or audio encodings to your TV content. For example, h.264/AVC vs. MPEG 2.
    I'm asking whether your recordings might contain any corruptions (discontinuities, glitches etc.) due to signal strength/quality or other.
    Please answer these questions.

I am using ffdshow video decoder not DXVA,I just tried playing something then and it froze while I was fast forwarding.
    Freezing while fast forwarding should be considered a different/separate issue, especially when you're talking about trying to FF at up to x16 speed (!!!).
    You will get different FF/RW behaviour depending on the used codecs, DXVA config, and system processing power (ie. low end CPU/GPU vs. high end), etc.
    According to your log file x2 speed worked fine, but x4 and higher gave HRESULT error code 0x80004005 (which means E_FAIL - Unspecified failure):
    [2015-12-09 18:03:53,967] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - VideoPlayer:confused:etRate to:2 0
    [2015-12-09 18:03:54,883] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - VideoPlayer:confused:etRate to:4 80004005

Perhaps you think that x4 and higher were working, I'm not sure. Ultimately the one and only point I'm trying to make is that what you were seeing is a different issue. Evidence for my claim is that there are no "GPU_HUNG" or D3D/DirectX error messages in your latest set of log files like there were in your previous log files.

Remoteglen

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I use the same codecs for both TV and video

The error occurred at different points during normal playback, as for the fast forward issue I have never had the problem before.

as for low end vs high end cpu/gpu I have an i5 4670K cpu and a GTX 750Ti gpu so I don't think they would be an issue.

I have never had a problem fast forwarding at any speed before.

Nothing else has been changed in my setup prior to this issue raising its ugly head:(

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Please can we stay on topic. If you would like to talk about FF/RW behaviour then I'm happy to do that, but let's do it in another thread.

Briefly...

I use the same codecs for both TV and video
    According to your log files all your recordings are either MPEG 2 video with either AC3/DD or MPEG 1 audio, whereas your other videos are h.264/AVC video with AAC LC audio. Therefore different results are possible, even though you're using the same codecs. Internally ffdshow usually uses different libraries for decoding these formats (libavcodec, libmpeg2, liba52, libmad, libfaad2 etc.).

as for low end vs high end cpu/gpu I have an i5 4670K cpu and a GTX 750Ti gpu so I don't think they would be an issue.
    It's not possible for me to say what the source of the HRESULT error code is, so I can't confirm that the CPU and GPU are in the clear. If it looks like they have plenty of headroom when fast-forwarding at x2 speed then maybe they are fine. As previously mentioned, CPU and GPU are not the only factors.

I have never had a problem fast forwarding at any speed before.

Nothing else has been changed in my setup prior to this issue raising its ugly head:(
    From a logical perspective, whatever you changed is responsible for the problems... and you may have more than one problem and/or symptom (ie. maybe you have both GPU hanging and FF/RW issues). If MediaPortal was working fine and you have not changed MediaPortal, MediaPortal Configuration, codecs, or codec configuration, then IMHO MediaPortal cannot be at fault.

Remoteglen

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I'm sorry but you did ask about FF!

My understanding is the recordings have different formats because that is what they are broadcast in.

Look I know I am no expert at this but all these issues started with the driver update.

I have another pc in the house with a GTX 260 card so it has a driver around about 347.. and I have no issue with that at all.

So maybe when MP 1.13 final is released I will give that a go and in a perfect world all my problems will just disappear:sick:

Thanks for trying to help but I feel we are getting nowhere with this:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom