Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    devo said:
    I like the idea but I have two concerns:

1) We would be changing the way every web browser works, ie the toolbar at the top. This would not be good from a usability perspective.

2) Width, yes true 16:9 tvs are gaining more popularity but I belive with options to autohide the toolbar at the top and status bar at the bottom that we would have the full screen for browsing.

Regarding (1) and the usability perspective. Since this is a HTPC and the main usability will (probably) be through remote control - or so is the goal of most people with a HTPC, usability is what is expected from a new user control and if it is designed well then normal use shouldn't have any issues. Look at WebTV (now MSNTV) browser - they had gone through ALOT of user studies. Now before anyone starts talking about MS and the evil empire - this group was WebTV before they got bought by Microsoft and had alot of good minds developing this product and it is still a good product for seniors with no PC experience needed. And we can still learn from the UI which they developed for use on TV.

...But if this had been a replacement for a browser to be used in a PC then I would agree with your statement.

Mike

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    devo said:
    ... I belive with options to autohide the toolbar at the top and status bar at the bottom that we would have the full screen for browsing.

It could never be truly full screen, as it's not possible to place items against any sides of the window, like scroll bars. The space for the browser window needs to be at least 800px wide, plus scroll bars, so how does this work for people with their resolutions set to 720x576 PAL?

Even at 1024x576 as below, the 800px wide browser window and navigation don't fit within safe areas. Will mock up a top bar one shortly...

mpbrowser.jpg

devo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2004
    Canada
    Brocklander said:
    It could never be truly full screen, as it's not possible to place items against any sides of the window, like scroll bars. The space for the browser window needs to be at least 800px wide, plus scroll bars, so how does this work for people with their resolutions set to 720x576 PAL?

Even at 1024x576 as below, the 800px wide browser window and navigation don't fit within safe areas. Will mock up a top bar one shortly...

True, it can never be full screen but I meant fullscreen in browser terms which always allows for the scrollbars.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    How about this... Think of it as though you were viewing a movie (the webpage) and bringing up the OSD (navigation).

mpbrowser2.jpg

Or a normal one... Can't put the Navigation bar at the top because that's where the topbar controls for music etc appear.

mpbrowser3.jpg

devo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2004
    Canada
    I was away for a few days for Candian thanksgiving holiday but I am back now.

Brocklander said:
    How about this... Think of it as though you were viewing a movie (the webpage) and bringing up the OSD (navigation).

mpbrowser2.jpg

I do like this idea but there are technical problems creating this solution. Mainly that the browser is an activeX control sits on top of all things mediaportal so overlays display behind it.

Brocklander said:
    Or a normal one... Can't put the Navigation bar at the top because that's where the topbar controls for music etc appear.

mpbrowser3.jpg

I don't know if this is such a good idea but I was thinking of not allowing the topbar to be displayed on the web browser plugin, of course all default play stop etc will still work from a remote. We really need the screen real estate on this plugin.

I will continue working on the plugin and give an update in a few days.

devo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2004
    Canada
    Johnny Jorgensen said:
    Hi There

I've been reading this tropic with great interest...

Who do I kill to be a beta tester on the plugin ?

Thanks in advance
    Johnny

Hopefully you will not have to kill anyone but I will be releasing a version soon.

I dove into photoshop the other day customizing the bluetwo top bar for the plugin and made a few new buttons.

devo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2004
    Canada
    chili said:
    I could probably release something this weekend. At least an early preview. The browser part is working but the bookmarks functionality is not implimented yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom