What do you use (or want 2 use) Mediaportal for? (1 Viewer)

What do you use (or want 2 use) Mediaportal for?

• Playing music

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Listening to radio

• For the weather

• TVGuide

• Watching photos

• Total voters

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    just curious what ppl like in MP

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    100% for "all of the above".

I guess everyone wants to do more than one thing with mediaportal.
    Might have been better to set up a poll where people had multiple choises for a couple of your points. So we would get a list in the sense of priorities.

tomtom21000

Mad Chemist

Portal Member
    April 22, 2004
    All of the above except watching and recording tv. I use a DirecTivo for that. Once the prices come down, I plan on getting a HD DirecTivo.

RedDom

Portal Member
    May 9, 2004
    UK
    All of the above.

especially pvr and music. To win people over from other apps, It is essential that there is better support for high quality music output, e.g using ASIO or Kernal streaming, either that or support for using winamp, foobar or mediacentre as the player, as these support this.

Multizone music control would also be great.

Dom

A

Anonymous

Definitely all of the above.

But if i was to rank them according to importance:

1) Watching DVDs/Movies
    1) Playing music
    2) Launching programs
    3) TVGuide
    3) Watching TV
    3) Recording TV
    4) Watching photos
    5) For the weather
    6) Listening to radio

Launching programs is pretty big to me for really 2 reasons:
    1) I really like to be able to launch a fullscreen web browser for internet access
    2) With myHTPC i took advantage of his system to catalogue, display and launch my game roms (mame, atari, etc..)

A

Anonymous

I have installed a scondary PCI GFX board (gforce with TV-out). Now i want to run some permanent multi media services on this Board. (watching DIVX/MPG/TV/DVD/SVCD like XBMP) Its Connected to my TV + DLP Projector + 2nd VGA monitor. Maybe it will replace my XBOX but the right software like XBMP for XBOX is missing. Maybe MEDIA PORTAL will help.

AGP-GFX-CARD standard Windows Desktop
    PCI-GFX-CARD HTPC -> connected to TV/projector

SpenZer

A

Anonymous

At home I have a server with a PVR-350 card in my basement running SageTV. I can connect to it and watch TV/schedule recordings from the other PCs in my house using the sage network client.

I'm hoping that the media portal project will eventually have similar functionality :) Including a client built into XBMC.

A

Anonymous

a .strm browser - perhaps with small logos for each channel, whether radio or TV (stream) - and perhaps also a line in .strm to mention Language, if it isn't mentioned as part of the file name, as is common with stream packs....

- along with everything else we've come (and grown ;) to love about XBMP, and following that XBMC.

But basically on the PC, if there's one thing that I don't know any app for, it's a nice browser of internet asx streams - and MediaPortal does that nicely, but there's plenty of things that could be added to make browsing these .strm better.

What I'm saying is, if I had to pick one thing in MP, that's unique to MP and not something you could do with another app - it should be something that MP has great potential to do, and this is it.

- Also I'd be nice, if MP supported writing files to disk, doing http reads (like foobar2000 does with the right http_reader input? plugin).

A

Anonymous

I would love to be able to use it as a media server in my living room. The main feature I am wanting is to be able to put 3 or 4 tuners in it (I already have a pvr350, pvr250, and wintv) and run a client on my suns xbox to allow the same functionality from his room. This can be done with MythTv right now, but I am tired of messing with getting the pvr cards working properly. Any plans such as this in the future for mp and xbmc to interop?

Users who are viewing this thread